ImageImageImage

Is the Braves new GM looking to make a big splash?

Moderator: HMFFL

How aggressive should Anthopoulos be in building this team in his image?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 3, 2018 2:57 pm

Trade anyone to make the team better now
No votes
Develop the massive amount of young talent for the long haul
100%

Total votes: 3

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Is the Braves new GM looking to make a big splash? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:57 pm

New Braves GM Anthopoulos talks big trades

New Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos is known to wheel and deal. But the aggressive trader reputation isn’t necessarily a badge Anthopoulos wants to wear in Atlanta.

Anthopoulos was the Blue Jays GM from 2009-15. His first major move was trading fan favorite Roy Halladay to signal a retooling phase.

The Braves’ rebuild is at the point of identifying foundation players versus assets. That doesn’t guarantee Anthopoulos will make a splash, but he won’t hesitate if opportunity knocks. Anthopoulos is representing the team at baseball’s GM Meetings in Orlando, just a day after being introduced in his new role.

“Any way we can get better. I know it kind of played out that way and looked that way (in Toronto), but I wouldn’t necessarily say that’s going to be a predictor of what’s going to happening going forward,” Anthopoulos said. “The circumstances there were totally different than here. But if the right deal presents itself, we certainly won’t be afraid as an organization to do it.”

Experience comes through mistakes. When one trades as often as Anthopoulos, there are bound to be regrets.

“Way more than one,” Anthopoulos said. “I do that a lot. Could be signings, trades. I think that’s how you get better. I get pretty obsessive about learning from each missed opportunity, every failure. It’s not that I’m glass half empty, I just want to take something from it.”

With an analytical background and having worked with the Dodgers, one would assume Anthopoulos heavily values numbers. But in sports’ ever-changing battle between analytics and human elements, he’s striving to find a happy medium. At a time evaluation will make or break the Braves’ four-year investment, Anthopoulos will use every tool.
myAJC

Thoughts?
Concerns?
Predictions?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Re: Is the Braves new GM looking to make a big splash? 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 pm

I'm in favor of a slow, steady build at this time. There will come a point where we need to be aggressive to make a jump to contender.

We're not there just yet.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#3 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#4 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 pm

I think this could be a good hire, but I am nervous of him selling off half the farm system. I'd like to see a lot of the young kids stick around and develop. We'll see.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 pm

If I'm running the Braves, I don't trade away the top prospects, and I save money for the 2019 season. Save up for a Harper or Machado or Stanton (does he have an opt out?).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#6 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:01 pm

No way we can afford any of those guys. We don't have a payroll like Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox. Harper and Stanton will be gunning for 400 mill. We can't afford that.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#7 » by ATL Boy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:55 am

Anthopoulos already has a history of selling off a farm system for big time win now moves. I hope he's learned from mistakes such as trading Syndergaard for Dickey, and that he'll be patient in finishing what Coppy started.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.

Return to Atlanta Braves