2017 Offseason Thread

Moderator: HMFFL

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: 2017 Offseason Thread 

Post#41 » by ATL Boy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:48 am

In an average year there are 183 service days in a major-league season, 162 games and 21 off days. If you accrue 172 days in any season, it is considered a full year. Six full years gets you to free agency. Five years and 170 days does not.

I think this is the main reason why we traded for Tucker: so that we have OF options on our major league for those first 12 days (10 games) while we keep Ronald Acuna in AAA and preserve another full season of team control over him.

Under no circumstance should Acuna be on the major league roster come opening day... none. It would be the most idiotic business decision to make. The Cubs kept Kris Bryant in AAA for those first 12 days back in 2015 and have an extra year of team control over him as a result, despite the fact that he was the best player in Spring Training that year.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#42 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:21 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#43 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Danny Santana returns.

The Braves made official Saturday the re-signing of veteran utilityman Danny Santana to a minor league contract that included an invitation to spring training with the major league team.

The move came three weeks after the team made Santana a non-tendered free agent along with Matt Adams and Jace Peterson. Adams signed a one-year, $4 million contract with the Nationals last week and Peterson remains a free agent.

Santana, 27, was eligible for arbitration and had been projected to make about $1.1 million if the Braves had offered him a contract at the Dec. 1 deadline. http://www.myajc.com/sports/baseball/santana-returns-braves-minor-league-deal/lrwDqcNqmf0DqHq2BsN4WP/
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#44 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:11 am

Miami is now reportedly taking offers on Yelich and Realmuto.

Here's my proposal,

Ian Anderson(#6), Kyle Muller,(#11) Cristian Pache(#10), Tyler Flowers and Ricardo Sanchez(#22) for Yelich and Realmuto.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by ATL Boy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:25 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Miami is now reportedly taking offers on Yelich and Realmuto.

Here's my proposal,

Ian Anderson(#6), Kyle Muller,(#11) Cristian Pache(#10), Tyler Flowers and Ricardo Sanchez(#22) for Yelich and Realmuto.

You can maybe get one of them for that package, no way you get both, even with how underwhelming their trade returns have been so far.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#46 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:36 pm

ATL Boy wrote:

Here's my proposal,

You can maybe get one of them for that package, no way you get both, even with how underwhelming their trade returns have been so far.

Why's that? Before you liked my previous offer which had Touki in it. Muller is a higher rated prospect. They get three of our top 11 prospects(better than anything they have got for other players), 2 of which are future starting pitchers, they get a good OF prospect who is two years away from the majors, they swap catchers and get a future bullpen arm. Flowers is cheap and only 31, he fits in their rebuild plans.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by ATL Boy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:45 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:

Here's my proposal,

Why's that? Before you liked my previous offer which had Touki in it. Muller is a higher rated prospect. They get three of our top 11 prospects(better than anything they have got for other players), 2 of which are future starting pitchers, they get a good OF prospect who is two years away from the majors, they swap catchers and get a future bullpen arm. Flowers is cheap and only 31, he fits in their rebuild plans.

Because JT Realmuto is incredibly valuable due to the fact that he's in the middle of his prime, playing a premium position, and has three years of cheap team control left. Upgrading form Touki to Muller and adding Flowers and Sanchez isn't enough to have the Marlins add him in in addition to Yelich, especially when trading with a division rival.

BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#48 » by BeesWax » Mon Jan 1, 2018 1:29 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:You can maybe get one of them for that package, no way you get both, even with how underwhelming their trade returns have been so far.

Because JT Realmuto is incredibly valuable due to the fact that he's in the middle of his prime, playing a premium position, and has three years of cheap team control left. Upgrading form Touki to Muller and adding Flowers and Sanchez isn't enough to have the Marlins add him in in addition to Yelich, especially when trading with a division rival.

I think if you add in Demeritte and Waters you are getting closer.
Spoiler:
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#49 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jan 1, 2018 10:40 pm

Braves offer Korean 1b Ji-Man Choi,

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/atlanta-braves
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#50 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 2, 2018 4:41 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:You can maybe get one of them for that package, no way you get both, even with how underwhelming their trade returns have been so far.

We might be better off keeping Flowers - as long as we have a solid catcher to share the job with him. The advanced metrics folks rave about his defensive stats - though I can't say I really understand what those stats mean - if anything.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#51 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:39 am

OF Nick Markakis, P Mike Soroka, P Ian Anderson, OF Cristian Pache, C Kurt Suzuki, 2b Travis Demeritte and C Alex Jackson for Christian Yelich, JT Realmuto and relief pitcher Kyle Barraclough.

That's the best that I would personally go. Acuna, Allard and Wright are off limits for me.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Remember with these Yelich trade ideas, Yelich's strictly a LFer if he comes to Atlanta. Inciarte's DWar stats have been far better than Yelich's. Yelich has been below average at CF and barely above average in LF. And if the Braves end up trading Inciarte, I'd expect to see Acuna in CF. And Yelich isn't a great power hitter. I wouldn't offer the farm to get him. Having said that, I'd have no problem giving up Pache and Demeritte - I think they're both overrated.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#53 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Yes I know. Yelich in LF, Inciarte in CF, Acuna in RF

I don't see a need to trade Inciarte. Keep him. That's a damn fine outfield. And I don't think that's necessarily giving the farm for Yelich, we're also getting Realmuto. So it'll take a big package for both. I'd be tough trading Soroka, especially to a division rival, but it's worth it, while keeping Allard, Wright and Acuna IMO. Yelich and Realmuto would be big steps in our rebuild and are on friendly contracts.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:46 pm

I'm a Soroka guy - moreso than the other Braves great pitching prospects. He seems like such a sure thing, and I have a real hard time including him - even for quality players on good contracts. I can accept trading Ian Anderson or Wright - even though they're phenoms with ceilings that might be slightly higher than Soroka's, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on a trade with Soroka unless we're getting an all-star power hitter back. I'm also all-in on Inciarte with his ridiculously good contract.

Yelich reminds me of Adam Eaton - also a below average CFer who's probably above average in LF. Looking ahead a year, if the Nats re-sign Harper (which I think they will - he's so popular and good), they have Harper, Eaton, and Robles in 2019. Plus they have Taylor (who had a breakout year) and Goodwin. But they'll also have freakish Juan Soto coming up as a corner OFer - he's comparable in talent to Acuna and Robles. I'd love to get him for one of our top pitching prospects (Nats are likely going to be looking for pitching anyway). And then maybe make a run at Machado to play either 3B or SS in 2019 - depending on how Dansby and Riley develop next season. Braves will be really talented. Realistically, 2018 is another developmental year, but 2019... that's where we start being what the Nats are now.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#55 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:13 pm

I mean you are basing the he's not a power guy on 2 seasons. Sure he may not be a 30+ or 40 HR guy, but he definitely can be a 25-30 guy, occasionally going over 30. While getting 80-100 RBI. He's a big kid too, 6'4" 205. He just turned 26 last month. 18 HR 81 RBI this season. 21 HR 98 RBI in 2016. In 2014 and 2015 when he hit less than 10 HRs each both seasons in at least 480 AB each season, he was coming into his own and only 22 and 23 years of age. Plus isn't the new Braves Park HR friendly?

He's a good ball player and may never be an MVP candidate, but I think he's one of the good young players in the game, who we should look to acquire and speed up the rebuild a bit. And yes I'm aware that he alone isn't going to push us to the front of the NL East and this season is still a rebuild, but he can definitely help us compete for a wild card and help us be competitive. I'd like to see that, more than another low 70s win season.

Believe me I would hate to give up Soroka. But it would take him or Wright along with Anderson to do this trade. I could be convinced to send Wright instead of Soroka.....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:41 pm

18 homers at age 25 in 695 plate appearances isn't what I'd call a player who's LIKELY to be a power hitter. It's possible - just not likely. I don't think I'm down-grading him by saying I don't want to include Soroka but would consider guys like Ian Anderson or Wright for him. No question he's a very good young player who's worth a lot in trade.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#57 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:18 homers at age 25 in 695 plate appearances isn't what I'd call a player who's LIKELY to be a power hitter. It's possible - just not likely. I don't think I'm down-grading him by saying I don't want to include Soroka but would consider guys like Ian Anderson or Wright for him. No question he's a very good young player who's worth a lot in trade.

Well actually it was in 602 plate appearances. Year before at age 24, 21 HRs in 578 plate appearances. You don't think he can hit 9 more HRs, especially in a new HR friendly park? Who knows maybe he had a nagging injury this year.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but even HMFFL and ATL Boy like the idea of trading for Yelich. I just think you are nit picking a little bit. You're not just giving up this much value for Yelich, it's to get Realmuto also, who's pretty solid himself and just entering his prime. It's going to take a big value package to get both. The Braves have tons of pitching. Tons. Believe me I wish we could send Newcomb or Wisler or Touki instead, but it's going to take Wright or Soroka with Anderson to get it done.

Also they're aren't that many " all star true power hitters" available right now or near future. I doubt we can afford Machado or Harper. But a solid young player like Yelich is available.

I really like the idea of adding these two young players and then finish it off by signing Todd Frazier. Freeman has protection with Yelich and Frazier in the lineup. Without Kemp now, Freddie really doesn't have any protection in the lineup.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 pm

602 at bats; 695 plate appearances. You're confusing at bats with plate appearances. The fact that his homers decreased isn't a good thing, right? Again, I think he's a very good player with a lot of value, but it's not the end of the world if we don't trade for him. I already mentioned an OFer I'd rather trade for to build a perennial contender.

Todd Frazier is a decent player, but I think of him as the kind of player you patch with; not build a future with. He hits homers, but he's not a real good hitter and below average defensively at 32. Camargo actually had a better OPS than him and is a much better fielder who'll cost much less. Let the Yankees pay Frazier.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#59 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 pm

My bad.

Who is that Robles or Soto? The Nats aren't trading either to a division rival. Not to mention, there's a real possibility they lose Harper in FA, so they'll probably want to keep those OF'ers.

And Frazier is a stop gap until Riley is ready. If you are paying attention to the rumors, the Braves are very interested in him, a cheaper option than Mouk from KC. I never said sign Frazier to build a future with. For Camargo, the Braves prefer to use him as a super utility player, that's why they are highly interested in Frazier and Nunez.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 pm

I haven't heard anything about the Braves going after Frazier this offseason. If they do, it better be for 1 year.

I was talking about trading for Soto next offseason - assuming they re-sign Harper. I've never bought into that idea about not trading with division rivals. The best trade in Orioles history was with the Yankees. Gotta figure there will be other alternatives that come up, as well. And I'd be fine with trading for Yellich - if the price is right.

Return to Atlanta Braves