Moderator: HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Braves early season success turning heads around the league 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 4, 2018 5:39 pm

The Braves Are Way Too Young to Be in First Place in the NL East

Behind a crop of über-prospects that were supposed to be years away, Atlanta is here ahead of schedule. Can it make a run to the postseason? Trick question: The answer doesn’t matter.

...when the Nats stumbled out of the gate, it created a power vacuum atop the division.

So, naturally, the Braves are in first place. Sure, it’s early.

But any magic is worth celebrating, particularly since Atlanta wasn’t supposed to be close to contention this year. Moreover, it marks a refreshing change for a club that for the past few years has had no choice but to sell fans on some hopeful but nebulous future while upper management fought off scandal after scandal.

The Braves entered the season with the third-best farm system in baseball, according to Baseball Prospectus, despite “graduat[ing] Dansby Swanson, Ozzie Albies, and Sean Newcomb as well, so it’s actually kind of amazing they are still in the top tier.”

But they were all supposed to pan out in the future. So how are the Braves sitting at 19-11?

The Braves recently had the distinction of putting the three youngest players in MLB in their lineup: Acuña, Albies, and Soroka.

That’s a nice piece of trivia that illustrates how quickly the Braves’ top prospects have progressed...
The Ringer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Braves are too young to be in 1st Place 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 4, 2018 5:44 pm

Mark Bradley wrote:The Braves are in first place - and they deserve to be

They’re starting to show off, in a good way. They moved into first place in the National League East.

I’m getting tired of inserting the obligatory “it’s still early” into every missive, but it is. But the longer this goes -- and this has been ongoing since Opening Day -- the more we have to admit: This no longer seems a team playing eight miles above its head; this has come to appear a young team discovering how good it can be.
myAJC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Braves early season success turning heads around the league 

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Mon May 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
The Braves Are Way Too Young to Be in First Place in the NL East

Behind a crop of über-prospects that were supposed to be years away, Atlanta is here ahead of schedule. Can it make a run to the postseason? Trick question: The answer doesn’t matter.

...when the Nats stumbled out of the gate, it created a power vacuum atop the division.

So, naturally, the Braves are in first place. Sure, it’s early.

But any magic is worth celebrating, particularly since Atlanta wasn’t supposed to be close to contention this year. Moreover, it marks a refreshing change for a club that for the past few years has had no choice but to sell fans on some hopeful but nebulous future while upper management fought off scandal after scandal.

The Braves entered the season with the third-best farm system in baseball, according to Baseball Prospectus, despite “graduat[ing] Dansby Swanson, Ozzie Albies, and Sean Newcomb as well, so it’s actually kind of amazing they are still in the top tier.”

But they were all supposed to pan out in the future. So how are the Braves sitting at 19-11?

The Braves recently had the distinction of putting the three youngest players in MLB in their lineup: Acuña, Albies, and Soroka.

That’s a nice piece of trivia that illustrates how quickly the Braves’ top prospects have progressed...
The Ringer

And figure next year, they'll start Allard (20 now), Riley (21), and Gohara (21). Seems crazy, but these guys are legit elite prospects. And still a bunch more pitchers on the way. Nice to get a couple hitters in the next draft. And the payroll's so low, they have plenty of money to add a closer and an OFer in free agency next year. It's a great time for those who stuck out the tough years. Go Braves!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 15, 2018 11:30 am

Ruzious wrote:And figure next year, they'll start Allard (20 now), Riley (21), and Gohara (21). Seems crazy, but these guys are legit elite prospects. And still a bunch more pitchers on the way. Nice to get a couple hitters in the next draft. And the payroll's so low, they have plenty of money to add a closer and an OFer in free agency next year. It's a great time for those who stuck out the tough years. Go Braves!

Somewhere, John Coppolella is smiling?
#TrustTheProcess

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:19 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Ruzious wrote:And figure next year, they'll start Allard (20 now), Riley (21), and Gohara (21). Seems crazy, but these guys are legit elite prospects. And still a bunch more pitchers on the way. Nice to get a couple hitters in the next draft. And the payroll's so low, they have plenty of money to add a closer and an OFer in free agency next year. It's a great time for those who stuck out the tough years. Go Braves!

Somewhere, John Coppolella is smiling?
#TrustTheProcess

Being banned from baseball for life, I'm not sure he is smiling.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 15, 2018 12:28 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Being banned from baseball for life, I'm not sure he is smiling.

I do hope he's at least able to get work as an independent contractor through a LLC or something.

He clearly has an eye for talent. Even if he isn't much for management or following the rules.

In my heart of hearts, I'll definitely give him the lion's share of the credit for our renaissance with his deft maneuvering the last few years.

(Those Shelby Miller trades are still some of the best work I've ever seen.)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Tue May 15, 2018 9:26 pm

I'd keep in mind that he's damaged the Braves rep when they try to sign international prospects - going forward. I don't know how badly - but that episode stains his legacy - at least in my mind. I don't wish him ill will, but I'm not going to feel sorry for him if he gets no credit.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Atlanta Braves