ImageImageImage

Braves 2018 MLB draft thread....

Moderator: HMFFL

What direction would you like to see the Braves go with the 8th pick?

Pitcher
No votes
Bat
100%

Total votes: 2

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Braves 2018 MLB draft thread.... 

Post#41 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:31 pm

I guess that Wrist injury was very serious for us to hold so completely firm.

From Stewart's perspective, even if he didn't get the money he was looking for I still couldn't imagine passing up on $2 million and the best doctors to help rehab the injury to go play for free for a college that could care less about baseball when football gets brought up.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#42 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:41 pm

Someone should be fired. Scouts should have known how bad this wrist injury is. Can't believe we lose him :banghead:

I agree with ATL Boy, how does Stewart pass up that 2 mill and a chance to play for a good team?? Guess he wants to be drafted by Royals, O's, Marlins, White Sox or Mets.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#43 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 9, 2018 6:17 pm

It looks very sloppy - like they didn't do their homework. And when you have a new GM who's there because the old GM was sloppy, it looks especially bad. But... the Braves get compensated with the 2019 9th pick, so it could end up working out well.

And maybe the Braves end up picking Stewart again when his college career is over. :)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Someone should be fired. Scouts should have known how bad this wrist injury is. Can't believe we lose him :banghead:

I agree with ATL Boy, how does Stewart pass up that 2 mill and a chance to play for a good team?? Guess he wants to be drafted by Royals, O's, Marlins, White Sox or Mets.

If he gets drafted at all. There's no guarantee of it if his wrist injury really is so serious. At the very least I don't think he goes as high in the first round in three years.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#45 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:09 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:Someone should be fired. Scouts should have known how bad this wrist injury is. Can't believe we lose him :banghead:

If he gets drafted at all. There's no guarantee of it if his wrist injury really is so serious. At the very least I don't think he goes as high in the first round in three years.

Why can't we retain his rights in this kind of scenario? I just hate losing him for nothing. Seems like the Braves offer was more than fair even with discovery of injury being more than what they thought. Maybe he should fire his agent.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:

Why can't we retain his rights in this kind of scenario? I just hate losing him for nothing. Seems like the Braves offer was more than fair even with discovery of injury being more than what they thought. Maybe he should fire his agent.

The offer was absolutely fair, which is why we get compensated with the 9th pick next year.

Baseball prospects have a lot more freedom than NBA or NFL prospects much like baseball players in general because the players association did such a good job in the bargaining agreement.

If his injury really is that bad then I'd rather just take the 9th pick and try again next year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#47 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:36 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:If he gets drafted at all. There's no guarantee of it if his wrist injury really is so serious. At the very least I don't think he goes as high in the first round in three years.

The offer was absolutely fair, which is why we get compensated with the 9th pick next year.

Baseball prospects have a lot more freedom than NBA or NFL prospects much like baseball players in general because the players association did such a good job in the bargaining agreement.

If his injury really is that bad then I'd rather just take the 9th pick and try again next year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

IDK, if it's not career threating, I would want to keep him. He's a legit top 10 pick this year and already has a better curveball then most major leaguers and the spin rate on it is more than anyone in the majors.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#48 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Looks like we'll have the 9th pick next year,

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 pm

And the Braves will also draft near the bottom of the first. It's too early to project, but it sounds like there will be lots of shortstops and catchers ranked highly. Just a hunch, but CJ Abrams, a SS from Alpharetta, GA, seems like an interesting possibility with the 9th pick.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#50 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:And the Braves will also draft near the bottom of the first. It's too early to project, but it sounds like there will be lots of shortstops and catchers ranked highly. Just a hunch, but CJ Abrams, a SS from Alpharetta, GA, seems like an interesting possibility with the 9th pick.

I wanted a bat in round 1, but was happy with Stewart, then he didn't sign. I'm still looking for a bat in round 1 next year.
Mattv
Junior
And1: 33

Post#51 » by Mattv » Tue Dec 4, 2018 2:59 am

A good catcher

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 4, 2018 8:01 am

Mattv wrote:A good catcher

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM mobile app

Could be, they could use someone to compete with William Contreras for the Braves' catcher of the future.

Braves pick 9th and 21st. I think they're 2nd round pick won't be until no earlier than 61st, because there's already set to be 7 supplemental picks right after the 1st round. So, Braves 1st 2 picks are really important. Unfortunately, they have to consider signability more - especially after last year's signing problem. https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-draft-order-set/
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#53 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Dec 4, 2018 1:45 pm

There are two catchers that could go in the top 15-20 picks. Both colligate players.

Adley Rutschman , 6'2" 215 Oregon State Switch hitter

Oregon State had two hitters taken in the first round this year and it shouldn't take long for one to go early in 2019. Rutschman might be the best all-around backstop in the class. He's a plus defender with a gun for an arm and excellent receiving skills. Rutschman is a switch-hitter with bat speed and plenty of raw power to tap into. He had 18 hits in the 2018 CWS tournament for the Champion Beavers.

Shea Langeliers, 6'0" 195 Baylor Bats Right

If Rutschman is the top catcher in the class, Langeliers might not be far behind. He has excellent catch-and-throw skills with outstanding pop times to second. At the plate, Langeliers is quick to the ball and can drive it to all fields, with double-digit home runs in each of his first two seasons.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#54 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Dec 4, 2018 1:55 pm

We might be able to grab Rutschman with our 9th pick.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 4, 2018 6:18 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:We might be able to grab Rutschman with our 9th pick.

I'd love to see it, but a lot of people think he's the top prospect in the draft and could go #1. Then again, the rankings will likely change a lot before the draft.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#56 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Dec 4, 2018 7:06 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:We might be able to grab Rutschman with our 9th pick.

I'd love to see it, but a lot of people think he's the top prospect in the draft and could go #1. Then again, the rankings will likely change a lot before the draft.

Yeah, after looking and reading around, checking out some mocks, this kid is a top 5 lock.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 6, 2018 7:00 am

Here's a link to good bio's on the top 50 prospects. http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=draft

I'm sure their rankings will change dramatically before the draft. Notice, they have Carter Stewart as the 7th rated prospect.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#58 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:Here's a link to good bio's on the top 50 prospects. http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=draft

I'm sure their rankings will change dramatically before the draft. Notice, they have Carter Stewart as the 7th rated prospect.

Yeah I was just looking at this a few minutes earlier. I'm still ticked that we didn't sign him. He's the highest rated pitcher in this link, and could be a top 10 pick again, depending on if his wrist is better.

I like have two picks in top 25. We could grab a bat and an arm, two bats, two arms. I think it will be one of each.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Braves win the grievance filed by Carter Stewart, we'll get the 9th pick in the draft this year in addition to the 21st as well.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:53 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Braves win the grievance filed by Carter Stewart, we'll get the 9th pick in the draft this year in addition to the 21st as well.

Man, that's a relief. They need to be careful to not get in that kind of situation again. Can't waste a top 10 pick.

Return to Atlanta Braves