ImageImageImage

2018 Offseason Thread....(The search for a SP, corner OF and bp arms)

Moderator: HMFFL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread....(Snit gets two year extension) 

Post#21 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 9:43 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Braves will apparently have an increased payroll and should have around $60 mil to spend this offseason according to Bowman. Should make us players for Bryce Harper.

DOB of the Athletic, says it's actually about half that at $30 mill.

I'm sorry, but I don't want Harper or Machado. If we are spending that big, save it for Trout.

Conflicting reports from DOB and Bowman, who says it'll be $60 mil. I'd be more inclined to believe Bowman mostly because I don't see why Liberty Media would look to cut payroll after the season we just had and after the added revenue they got from both television and ticket/merchandise/battery sales they got as a result to making it to the playoffs.

I think Trout has a chance of going down as the GOAT in this sports and would love to have him, but I don't think we'll have a chance at getting him. Tbh I feel like he may go to the Phillies since he's from the Philly area but would rather have him not come to the NL at all, personally. Harper is a big prize we have a chance at even though it'll be difficult and with him as well, I doubt we get him, but I'd like to try. Machado I just don't want at this point.

If this number is correct, can they afford Nathan Eovaldi(4/60), Marwin Gonzalez(4/36) and Cody Allen(3/27)?

Then flip Teheran, Gohara, Bryce Wilson and Allard for Realmuto.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#22 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Nov 5, 2018 1:35 pm

3 Braves are awarded Gold Gloves, Freeman(1st), Inciarte(3rd) and Markakis(3rd).

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25180505/2018-gold-glove-winners
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#23 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 5, 2018 4:41 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:3 Braves are awarded Gold Gloves, Freeman(1st), Inciarte(3rd) and Markakis(3rd).

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25180505/2018-gold-glove-winners

Amazing that Markakis was able to win it - given his lack of speed and range, but he is a master craftsman in RF.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#24 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Nov 5, 2018 10:27 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,469

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 7, 2018 1:26 pm

Anthopoulos talks Braves offseason at GM Meetings

Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos spoke with reporters at Tuesday’s GM meetings in San Diego.

• The Braves are interviewing pitching coach candidates, though names haven’t been disclosed. “We’ve kept that quiet,” Anthopoulos said. “We’re not in a rush. We’ll get it announced when the time is right.”

• Anthopoulos is willing to package prospects for present-day difference makers. As he puts it, the challenge is knowing when to sell high and taking advantage of timing.

“The reason we have all these prospects is to win. And sometimes when winning is right in front of you, it’s easy to lose sight of that. We talk about sustained winning, sustained success. Sometimes you need to have success first. We focus so much on the sustainable side that we never get to the success. I do think, my opinion, you have to get to the success part first.”

• Starter Luiz Gohara has lost 35 pounds and has been “doing really well,” Anthopoulos said. Gohara is coming off a difficult year affected by numerous on-and-off-field hardships. Gohara has been working out in Orlando rather than returning to his home country of Brazil. The Braves still view him as a starter long-term.

• Another prized young starter, Mike Soroka was shut down with shoulder soreness. Soroka, 21, would be among several fighting for the fifth starter spot. They will still consider adding a veteran, including a front-line arm, but free-agent Anibal Sanchez’s return doesn’t feel likely.

• Anthopoulos compared modern-day catching situations to how the NFL now uses running backs by committee. Across baseball, teams are favoring two-catcher systems rather than an individual carrying the bulk.
AJC
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,469

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 7, 2018 1:29 pm

Braves GM: We’re set in the infield

The Braves are happy with their current infield and expect to return the same starting group in 2019, general manager Alex Anthopoulos confirmed Tuesday...confirming the organization is content with its current infield which includes Freddie Freeman, Ozzie Albies, Dansby Swanson and Johan Camargo.

“The one thing I can say is, I feel like we’re set in the infield,” he said. “Camargo had an amazing year for us. Switch-hitter, plus defense, good bat. Second half he really emerged. A lot of our hitters didn’t hit well in the playoffs.”

Swanson’s bat needs to make strides, but the team loves his defense and intangibles. Albies was an All-Star and, despite the second-half struggles, is locked in at second. Freeman, of course, is a perennial MVP candidate.

The Braves were previously linked to star free agent Manny Machado, but that was always an unlikelihood.

“We don’t view the infield as an area of need,” he said. “We do need a corner outfielder. We do need somebody else to catch with (Tyler) Flowers. If other opportunities present themselves, rotation, bullpen, we’ll look at that.”
AJC
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#27 » by HMFFL » Wed Nov 7, 2018 3:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Braves GM: We’re set in the infield

The Braves are happy with their current infield and expect to return the same starting group in 2019, general manager Alex Anthopoulos confirmed Tuesday...confirming the organization is content with its current infield which includes Freddie Freeman, Ozzie Albies, Dansby Swanson and Johan Camargo.

“The one thing I can say is, I feel like we’re set in the infield,” he said. “Camargo had an amazing year for us. Switch-hitter, plus defense, good bat. Second half he really emerged. A lot of our hitters didn’t hit well in the playoffs.”

Swanson’s bat needs to make strides, but the team loves his defense and intangibles. Albies was an All-Star and, despite the second-half struggles, is locked in at second. Freeman, of course, is a perennial MVP candidate.

The Braves were previously linked to star free agent Manny Machado, but that was always an unlikelihood.

“We don’t view the infield as an area of need,” he said. “We do need a corner outfielder. We do need somebody else to catch with (Tyler) Flowers. If other opportunities present themselves, rotation, bullpen, we’ll look at that.”
AJC
I agree that our infield is set.
I look forward to next season and watching the young guys continue to improve.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#28 » by HMFFL » Wed Nov 7, 2018 4:46 pm

Braves have 'strong offer' on the table for J.T. Realmuto, per report

https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/11/7/18071928/atlanta-braves-have-strong-offer-on-the-table-for-j-t-realmuto-per-report

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 7, 2018 9:53 pm

HMFFL wrote:Braves have 'strong offer' on the table for J.T. Realmuto, per report

https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/11/7/18071928/atlanta-braves-have-strong-offer-on-the-table-for-j-t-realmuto-per-report

He'd be a huge get. It seemed like every time Miami got a big hit, it was from Realmuto. A 131 OPS+ is terrific for an everyday catcher. And he's still just 27, won't be a free agent till 2021. We can afford that price: 1 position player and 1 top end pitching prospect.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#30 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 10:31 pm

Ruzious wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Braves have 'strong offer' on the table for J.T. Realmuto, per report

He'd be a huge get. It seemed like every time Miami got a big hit, it was from Realmuto. A 131 OPS+ is terrific for an everyday catcher. And he's still just 27, won't be a free agent till 2021. We can afford that price: 1 position player and 1 top end pitching prospect.

Would that be all? If that's the case just 1 high end pitching prospect, I'd say your choice of Touki, Allard, Gohara and Wilson. The others are off limits.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 7, 2018 10:44 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Would that be all? If that's the case just 1 high end pitching prospect, I'd say your choice of Touki, Allard, Gohara and Wilson. The others are off limits.

I don't know - just going by what the article said:

Here’s the potential price tag:

Craig Mish

@CraigMish
Sources also indicate Marlins are asking price on Realmuto is a high end young pitching prospect and a position player. A potential two for one.

10:13 AM - Nov 7, 2018
141 people are talking about this
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#32 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 11:35 pm

Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#33 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:30 am

Read on Twitter

I would be good with this, but don't bring back Markakis. Move Acuna to RF, Marwin in LF. Kluber, Marwin, Realmuto, Kimbrel/Cody Allen and another bp arm. Bring back Duda and Culberson for bench.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#34 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Nov 9, 2018 12:07 am

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#35 » by HMFFL » Fri Nov 9, 2018 8:15 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
Very deserving!
What a season Freddie had.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#36 » by HMFFL » Fri Nov 9, 2018 8:15 pm

Cubs open to trading 3B Kris Bryant

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25226392

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#37 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Okay so,

Indians are looking for a starting pitcher, OF and pitching prospect for Kluber.

Teheran, Inciarte and Ian Anderson/Touki for Kluber

Next to get Realmuto,

Touki/Ian Anderson, Gohara and B Wilson for Realmuto.

Re-sign Markakis to a 2 yr deal. Brach to a 1 yr deal

Sign Marwin Gonzalez, Cody Allen, Joe Kelly, Cameron Maybin and Neil Walker

Kluber
Folty
Newcomb
Gausman
Allard/Soroka/Sanchez/Wright

CF Acuna
RF Markakis
1b Freeman
3b Camargo
C Realmuto
LF Gonzalez
2b Albies
SS Swanson

Culberson - INF/OF
Duda - 1b
Flowers - C
Maybin - cheap OF depth
N Walker - cheap INF depth

Brach
O'Day
Sobotka
Viz
Minter
J Kelly
CL - Allen
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#38 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#39 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:24 pm

Read on Twitter
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#40 » by ATL Boy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:05 pm

Braves are interested in all-star closer Edwin Diaz. He'd completely solve our problems at the back end of the pen but would cost an arm and a leg. He's young and controlled through 2021, and may be up for grabs with the Mariners having their fire sale.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.

Return to Atlanta Braves