ImageImageImage

Josh Donaldson extension: Yay or Nay

Moderator: HMFFL

Should the Braves extend Josh Donaldson this winter?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Maybe, depending how he does in the playoffs
No votes

Total votes: 2

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Josh Donaldson extension: Yay or Nay 

Post#1 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 pm

It's time to bring this topic up. I've seen it discussed on Twitter and other social media and message boards.

I'm comfortable with it, as long as it isn't more than 3 years. I would strongly prefer 2 years though. His bat in the lineup had done well and provides great protection for others. Another reason I'm open to this, is that I don't think Markakis and Inciarte return next season. Riley has shown he can play LF, until there is an opening at 3b.

What are your thoughts?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Re: Josh Donaldson extension: Yay or Nay 

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:10 pm

Depends on the money.
What type of #'s are we talking about? 20m per season or more?

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 1, 2019 1:00 pm

Unless we think the combo of Inciarte, Markakis and Duvall can cover 2 of the OF spots at a high level all next year, it would be preferable to keep Donaldson and have Riley available for the OF. But like HMFFL said, the price will factor in the decision. We're another year away from Pache and/or Waters being ready for the majors. Ideally, sign Donaldson to another 1 year contract.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#4 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 1:26 pm

Ruzious wrote:Unless we think the combo of Inciarte, Markakis and Duvall can cover 2 of the OF spots at a high level all next year, it would be preferable to keep Donaldson and have Riley available for the OF. But like HMFFL said, the price will factor in the decision. We're another year away from Pache and/or Waters being ready for the majors. Ideally, sign Donaldson to another 1 year contract.

Agree the price will be the issue, due to LM being cheap AF. We'll see how Inciarte and Duvall preform the rest of the way. If they continue to produce, I have no problem with Duvall/Riley LF platoon, Inciarte in CF and Acuna RF. I do not see Markakis returning next year.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:38 pm

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27483166/passan-playing-20-questions-2019-20-mlb-hot-stove-season

Who has done best for himself in 2019?

Braves third baseman Josh Donaldson. He and agent Dan Lozano took a decided risk in agreeing to a one-year, $23 million deal and going the make-good route. And they've come out the other side looking brilliant for it. Yes, Donaldson turns 34 in December. But the way he has played -- hitting .260/.374/.529 with 32 home runs -- he's well within his rights to pursue a multiyear deal at a higher cost than he's making this season. The bat, the glove, the work ethic -- Donaldson is rather similar to the last player whose make-good deal went so well: Adrian Beltre.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27483166/passan-playing-20-questions-2019-20-mlb-hot-stove-season

Who has done best for himself in 2019?

Braves third baseman Josh Donaldson. He and agent Dan Lozano took a decided risk in agreeing to a one-year, $23 million deal and going the make-good route. And they've come out the other side looking brilliant for it. Yes, Donaldson turns 34 in December. But the way he has played -- hitting .260/.374/.529 with 32 home runs -- he's well within his rights to pursue a multiyear deal at a higher cost than he's making this season. The bat, the glove, the work ethic -- Donaldson is rather similar to the last player whose make-good deal went so well: Adrian Beltre.

I could see him getting maybe $70 mil over 3 years. At 34 and having an injury-prone history, I don't see him getting more than that, tbh. Rendon is going to get a LOT more than him. If the Braves were a high spending team, I'd say go after Rendon. Of course, the Braves have the options of considering Riley or Camargo at 3B, but I'd be happy keeping Donaldson. Braves (or whoever signs Donaldson) might be smart to include a buyout on the 3rd year - even if it's a high buyout.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#7 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:17 pm

In Mark Bowman's latest Braves mailbag, a question is asked what would a Josh Donandson deal look like? Mark answered, A three-year deal likely would be worth $70 million to $75 million.

How would you all feel about a deal like that? I'd definitely do 2/50, but I'm hesitant on a third year, with his age/health and a possible decline as he ages.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:12 am

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Nationals "are in heavy" on Josh Donaldson.

Heyman says that the Braves will likely get a final chance to match or top any offer, but the Nats are being "aggressive" in their pursuit of the third baseman. USA Today's Bob Nightengale hears that Washington is willing to offer Donaldson $90+ million over four years. The Rangers, Dodgers, Phillies and Twins have also been linked to Donaldson, who just turned 34.

RELATED: 

Washington Nationals

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Dec 16, 2019, 6:03 PM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:41 pm

HMFFL wrote:Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Nationals "are in heavy" on Josh Donaldson.

Heyman says that the Braves will likely get a final chance to match or top any offer, but the Nats are being "aggressive" in their pursuit of the third baseman. USA Today's Bob Nightengale hears that Washington is willing to offer Donaldson $90+ million over four years. The Rangers, Dodgers, Phillies and Twins have also been linked to Donaldson, who just turned 34.

RELATED: 

Washington Nationals

Knowing the Nats, a lot of their offer will include deferred dollars, so the value of that contract offer might be significantly less than the reported $90 mil. I'd match a 4 year offer worth $80 mil. Remember, keeping Donaldson not only helps the Braves but hurts the Nats. If they don't get a 3rd baseman, the Nats will likely go with Carter Kieboom at 3rd and Difo at 2nd. That could be a big problem for them - especially since they just have aging vets playing 1st. If they sign Donaldson, they can alternate Kieboom and Difo at 2nd or just play the hot hand and have a big bat at 3rd. And the Nats are clearly the Braves number 1 competition in the NL East. So yeah, I don't want to guarantee 4 years, but if that's what it takes, I'd do it.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#10 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Ruzious wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Nationals "are in heavy" on Josh Donaldson.

RELATED: 

Washington Nationals

Knowing the Nats, a lot of their offer will include deferred dollars, so the value of that contract offer might be significantly less than the reported $90 mil. I'd match a 4 year offer worth $80 mil. Remember, keeping Donaldson not only helps the Braves but hurts the Nats. If they don't get a 3rd baseman, the Nats will likely go with Carter Kieboom at 3rd and Difo at 2nd. That could be a big problem for them - especially since they just have aging vets playing 1st. If they sign Donaldson, they can alternate Kieboom and Difo at 2nd or just play the hot hand and have a big bat at 3rd. And the Nats are clearly the Braves number 1 competition in the NL East. So yeah, I don't want to guarantee 4 years, but if that's what it takes, I'd do it.

It's giving him 4 years or trading for Bryant/Arenado. One has to happen. Can't go into 2020 with Camargo/Riley at 3b, especially if Nats land Donaldson.

Return to Atlanta Braves