ImageImageImage

2020 Braves Off-season & Spring Training Thread....

Moderator: HMFFL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: 2020 Off-season Thread.... 

Post#81 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:02 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

It's officially Arenado or bust ladies and gentleman.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#82 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:48 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Ah fudge!

If the Braves weren't going to beat that for Donaldson, I can't see them willing to pay $35 mil a year for Arenado's - as well as give up good players to get him.

Spring Training isn't that far away. Might as well see how Camargo and Riley do.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#83 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Ah fudge!

If the Braves weren't going to beat that for Donaldson, I can't see them willing to pay $35 mil a year for Arenado's - as well as give up good players to get him.

Spring Training isn't that far away. Might as well see how Camargo and Riley do.

Not the same thing. Braves didn't want to go to a fourth year with a player of Donaldson's age and injury history. Arenado is 6 years younger. You have to make a big move, can't go into the season with Riley/Camargo at 3b. Need a big big bat behind Freeman. Making a move like this is the difference from perennial WS favorite vs perennial NL East favorite. Arenado is still in his prime, pair him with Freeman and Acuna for the next 7 years, who beats you in NL?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Ah fudge!

Not the same thing. Braves didn't want to go to a fourth year with a player of Donaldson's age and injury history. Arenado is 6 years younger. You have to make a big move, can't go into the season with Riley/Camargo at 3b. Need a big big bat behind Freeman. Making a move like this is the difference from perennial WS favorite vs perennial NL East favorite. Arenado is still in his prime, pair him with Freeman and Acuna for the next 7 years, who beats you in NL?

I hear ya, but there's 226 mil over 7 years left on Arenado's contract. That's a bigger risk and much bigger outlay cash than 92 mil over 4 years for Donaldson. I'd be happy if the Braves get Arenado, but I'll also be shocked if it happens. At the price Minnesota paid, Atlanta should have matched it, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Re: 2020 Braves Off-season Thread.... 

Post#85 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:39 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Grats to Hech - glad to see it. He played well for the Braves - hit surprisingly well and seems like he's more than adequate defensively up the middle.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#87 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:45 pm

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/braves-to-sign-felix-hernandez.html

:o Could be a small gamble, that becomes a big reward!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#88 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:54 am

Nemesis21 wrote:https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/braves-to-sign-felix-hernandez.html

I like this a lot.
Very excited for the upcoming spring.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:07 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/braves-to-sign-felix-hernandez.html

I like this a lot.
Very excited for the upcoming spring.

Me three. I don't expect anything, but King Felix was the best in the AL for several years. Seen it so many times when a pitcher loses his velocity, he can no longer be effective the way he used to pitch.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:01 pm

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/surveying-the-market-for-starling-marte.html
It's just speculation, but Marte could be a target for the Braves. Marte's got 2 years left on his contract at about 4 mil more a year than Inciarte. I think the Pirates would obviously love to get either Pache or Waters. The Braves would probably want to include Ender - to drop salary. Is Marte - at age 30 - good enough to warrant giving up one of the Braves' 2 stud OF prospects - given that he's excellent defensively and on the basepaths, hits well, and has some pop. I thought he was going to become a big star, but that never quite happened. Ultimately, I can't see the Braves giving up Pache or Waters for a 2 year rental, but I do think the Braves need to add someone of his talent level in the OF this season.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#91 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/surveying-the-market-for-starling-marte.html
It's just speculation, but Marte could be a target for the Braves. Marte's got 2 years left on his contract at about 4 mil more a year than Inciarte. I think the Pirates would obviously love to get either Pache or Waters. The Braves would probably want to include Ender - to drop salary. Is Marte - at age 30 - good enough to warrant giving up one of the Braves' 2 stud OF prospects - given that he's excellent defensively and on the basepaths, hits well, and has some pop. I thought he was going to become a big star, but that never quite happened. Ultimately, I can't see the Braves giving up Pache or Waters for a 2 year rental, but I do think the Braves need to add someone of his talent level in the OF this season.

No way I give up Pache or Waters for Marte. I don't do it for Bryant. I'd trade one for Arenado in a heartbeat though.

I still think we must trade for Arenado.

In the event that we don't trade for Arenado, and go with Camargo/Riley, who would you rather add to the OF Marte or Ozuna?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:05 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/surveying-the-market-for-starling-marte.html

No way I give up Pache or Waters for Marte. I don't do it for Bryant. I'd trade one for Arenado in a heartbeat though.

In the event that we don't trade for Arenado, and go with Camargo/Riley, who would you rather add to the OF Marte or Ozuna?

Ozuna's not an answer, imo. Offensively, Marte had an OPS+ of 121 vs Ozuna's 107. But it's defensively that there's a huge difference. Ozuna's a bad LFer and made a couple of terrible plays in the NL playoffs. Marte's a multiple GG winner in LF - which is a rarity, because most GG OF winners are CFers. Now, he does play CF, and he was 4th in both 2018 and 2019 in range factor among all OFers. He also adds a speed factor on the bases. This is bad as it gets, lol (ouch):

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#93 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:05 am

Ruzious wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Ozuna's not an answer, imo. Offensively, Marte had an OPS+ of 121 vs Ozuna's 107. But it's defensively that there's a huge difference. Ozuna's a bad LFer and made a couple of terrible plays in the NL playoffs. Marte's a multiple GG winner in LF - which is a rarity, because most GG OF winners are CFers. Now, he does play CF, and he was 4th in both 2018 and 2019 in range factor among all OFers. He also adds a speed factor on the bases. This is bad as it gets, lol (ouch):

Well then,

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/braves-sign-marcell-ozuna.html
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:26 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Well then,

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/braves-sign-marcell-ozuna.html

I literally laughed out loud.

Hey, he's a legit major leaguer, and he's better than nothing. And maybe the NL adopts the DH this year. I just hope he doesn't hurt himself too much playing LF. :)

And the best thing is we didn't trade Pache or Waters. Hey, these rose-colored glasses I got are working. Well, not working so well when I saw they're paying him $18 million. That's... really stupid, but it's just 1 year.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#95 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:11 pm

One year deal! I will take the additional talent.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#96 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:15 pm

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#97 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#98 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:35 am

^
I expect good things from him this season.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#99 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:36 am

I have only heard San Diego and the LA Dodgers in talks with Boston for Betts. I doubt we get involved.

Should the Atlanta Braves jump in on Mookie Betts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tomahawktake.com/2020/01/30/atlanta-braves-should-trade-mookie-betts/amp/

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#100 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:01 pm

No to Betts for 1 year. No to Bryant for 2 years. Not trading top prospects, for that little of contract control.

Return to Atlanta Braves