ImageImageImageImage

Saw Buchholz pitch last night (my 2 cents)

nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Saw Buchholz pitch last night (my 2 cents) 

Post#1 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri May 25, 2007 2:21 am

A few friends and I went down to Trenton for Clemens' outing, and when I got there I was happy to see he was going up against Buchholz (deep down inside I was more anxious to see Buchholz pitch).

He started off in trouble, allowing 4 hits to begin the 1st inning. However, one was a bunt single down the 3rd base line and another was a bloop into right field just between the 2B and RF, so he wasn't hit incredibly hard. Most of the other hits allowed throughout the rest of the game were singles through the hole, although some were hit rather well.

First off, his fastball didn't seem overpowering but he was able to locate it well for the most part. Almost all the hits came off of his fastball, a few were off of missed locations. It is clear that if he locates his fastball well, even without throwing that hard (similarly to Phil Hughes), hitters won't make great contact with it.

His curveball is filthy. Aside from the movement on it, he located it nearly perfectly. There were a number of times where the Trenton hitters were frozen as they watched it hit the corner, and the few times they did attempt to make contact with it, it was on a VERY weak hack. They were fooled and frozen by it all night, whether he threw it on a 1-0 count or 3-2.

I also liked his changeup very much. He didn't seem to throw it too often, but when he did, hitters were extremely early. One hitter was literally finished with his entire swing by the time the ball reached the catcher's mitt. He definitely throws the change with the same arm action as his fastball, it was clear as day. That is going to help make both his fastball and his changeup plus pitches down the road, if they aren't already.

I know he throws a slider as well, but it is hard to really tell when it is thrown. With no radar gun in the ballpark, sometimes I couldn't tell if he was throwing the fastball or slider, so I can't say much about the slider from what I saw.

Overall, you guys have a blue chip prospect in your system that I can see being an ace in the majors. He could have anywhere from 2-4 plus pitches. I was VERY impressed.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#2 » by The Rondo Show » Fri May 25, 2007 3:05 am

This was the 1st time I've seen Buchholz pitch (on MILBTV) and I was very impressed, too.

From what I saw, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Not a Tim Lincecum/Josh Beckett overpowering type fastball but he located it well, it had good movement and it had more than enough velocity on it to be an effective pitch.

The curveball was by far the pitch I was most impressed with and the pitch he went to most. The changeup looked excellent as well (and I've heard it is actually his best pitch on most occasions), but as you stated...it wasn't thrown often. I had the same problem identifying the slider (my volume is broken and I couldn't hear if the MILBTV play by play guys were calling out, too) but I saw 2 pitches which I thought looked nasty sliders.

This is definitely the most excited I've been regarding a Red Sox prospects (I've only followed the minors for a few years, so Clemens, Nomar, etc. aren't included). I'll be making a trip to Pawtucket to see him live when he is promoted.

It should be fun watching him and Hughes (and the other young pitchers these teams have; both are pretty loaded with young pitching) battle it out over the next 10-15 years.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#3 » by cmaff051 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:33 am

One thing that you immediately notice about Buchholz is how insanely athletic he is. I believe he was being recruited to be a wide-out in college from several big time schools. Everything from the way he bounces of the mound, to the way he repeats his delivery, and especially in his pickoff move, shows how athletic he is.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri May 25, 2007 3:48 am

cmaff051 wrote:One thing that you immediately notice about Buchholz is how insanely athletic he is. I believe he was being recruited to be a wide-out in college from several big time schools. Everything from the way he bounces of the mound, to the way he repeats his delivery, and especially in his pickoff move, shows how athletic he is.

****, how did I leave that out. When I saw his pickoff move, I told myself it was something I wanted to mention.

Anyway, his pickoff move is insanely good for a RHP. Off the top of my head, I can pick out 3 instances where he almost got the runner off of 1st base (and twice I actually though they were out). It is a VERY short, quick move to 1st.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#5 » by The Rondo Show » Fri May 25, 2007 4:38 am

cmaff051 wrote:One thing that you immediately notice about Buchholz is how insanely athletic he is. I believe he was being recruited to be a wide-out in college from several big time schools. Everything from the way he bounces of the mound, to the way he repeats his delivery, and especially in his pickoff move, shows how athletic he is.
I remember reading/hearing somwhere (can't remember where) that Buchholz was the fastest player in the Red Sox farm system; even faster than Ellsbury.

No idea whether it is true, but I definitely remember hearing it somewhere.
Markos
Starter
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Markos » Fri May 25, 2007 7:28 am

cool good to know.....if you had to compare clay to a ML pitcher who would it be?
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri May 25, 2007 7:59 pm

Markos wrote:cool good to know.....if you had to compare clay to a ML pitcher who would it be?

I don't like comparing pitchers as most are unique, hitters are usually more comparable. So much goes into making a pitcher who he is, from their delivery and release point to their command and arm strength.

With that said, I do think that Chris Carpenter is a pretty fair comparison...although he would be a smaller Carpenter. Both throw a low-mid 90s fastball with very good location, a plus curve with location, and very strong changeups.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#8 » by cmaff051 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:12 pm

Markos wrote:cool good to know.....if you had to compare clay to a ML pitcher who would it be?

Chris Carpenter without the consistent fastball command.

Return to Boston Red Sox