Sox get Peavy for Iglesias/spare parts

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Sox get Peavy for Iglesias/spare parts 

Post#1 » by thesack12 » Thu Aug 1, 2013 4:28 pm

Peavy/Brayan Villareal to Boston
Iglesias to Detroit
Avisail Garcia/spare parts from Boston to White Sox.

On the eve of the trading deadline the Red Sox scooped up perhaps the best starting pitcher on the market in Jake Peavy. The best available was either Peavy or Garza. Garza cost the Rangers MUCH more and I thought I heard he will be a FA this winter, but I might be mistaken on that. Either way, Peavy is under team control through next season.

Peavy is a very good starting pitcher, a former Cy Young winner. I have heard respected baseball people such as Tim Kurkjian say Peavy is a top 10 pitcher in baseball when he is healthy. That is his main concern, health. If Jake can stay healthy, Boston just added a legit front end of the rotation pitcher. He also seems to have the necessary makeup and grit to perform in Boston. Which is pretty important.

Who the hell knows when/if Bucholz will come back and if Lester's struggles continue Peavy might be the new #1. With a fully healthy staff he is no worse than the #3. He would be a fantastic #3. Lackey is the clear cut #4, and if all is right in the world Doubront should be the #5. Dempster should be the long reliever in he pen, he just isn't very good.

Assuming health the postseason staff would probably be Buch/Lester/Peavy/Lackey. Thats a pretty damn solid staff from top to bottom to throw at a team.

Villareal might be a decent additon to the pen as well. He did ok for Detroit last season. He was at Detroit's AAA level before the trade. Jury is out on him.

Yes Iglesias was having a pretty nice season. His average was over .400 for a long while. But when you start to examine further he had 20+ infield hits and over 80% of hits were singles. It was an extremely fluky average. He simply was not ever going to be able to sustain that, not even close. At the start of July, he fell and fell HARD. He was a full time player but had only like 9 hits in the entire month, all of which were singles. he was freefalling back to the way his offensive career has always been... not very good.

Iglesias' glove will always be there, and that has value. But he will likely stay a .220-.240 average hitter with zero power. Those kind of guys you won't ever really regret giving up. Boagaertsis primed to be the SS of the future anyways, plus there is quality depth at that position in the system.

Cherington/Boston scouts recognized this and sold high on Igesias.

GREAT TRADE

Return to Boston Red Sox