ImageImageImageImage

When Timlin is back, who gets sent down?

BS007
Banned User
And1: 0

When Timlin is back, who gets sent down? 

Post#1 » by BS007 » Wed Jun 6, 2007 2:29 pm

A bump ahead for bullpen
Timlin return will force move
By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff | June 6, 2007

OAKLAND, Calif. -- As you might imagine, a leading topic of conversation in the Red Sox bullpen these days is Mike Timlin's imminent return. A roster spot will have to be created after Timlin completes his rehab assignment in Pawtucket and rejoins the ball club this weekend, which is what the Sox are planning at the moment. Another reliever will likely be sacrificed to make room for the 41-year-old Timlin.

"Whatever happens," veteran reliever Brendan Donnelly said, "it probably won't be fair. That's the nature of the game.

"It's a good problem for Boston to have, but baseball is not always fair. No one is deserving of it in this room. Everyone here has earned their right to be in this room."

The easiest move would be to return Javier Lopez to Pawtucket; he has options remaining, which means the Sox wouldn't have to expose him to waivers and risk losing him. But Lopez has pitched very well since his summons from Pawtucket, allowing runs in just three of his 14 outings. Lefthanded batters are hitting just .214 against him, and he has stranded 12 of 14 inherited runners, which is in some ways a better measure than ERA of how a reliever is faring.

"Javier is too valuable just to let go," Donnelly said, "especially with the quality of lefthanded hitters in this league. But that's a question for Theo [ Epstein] and Tito [Francona] and John [Farrell] to figure out. No one in this room wants to play GM.

"But do we talk about it? Of course. We're human. We're teammates. And this is something that's going to affect someone in this room. Sure, we may sometimes try to play GM, but I learned a long time ago that's impossible."

As with any roster decision, there are only a few options. Waive a player, trade a player, designate a player for assignment, which ultimately could lead to that player's release, or have the good timing for someone to be injured, which would buy the team some time.

Based on performance, Joel Pi
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#2 » by Chach » Wed Jun 6, 2007 4:14 pm

Romero bought himself another couple weeks with his performance Monday night. I'm with you, Piniero is out his way out. I think he's done with the team now and Romero will be gone when Lester is called up in a few weeks. The perhaps Breslow will get a look and Lopez will be sent down to give Breslow a trial.

Papelbon
Okajima
Donnelley
Timlin
Snyder
Tavarez
Breslow

could be worse. mahalo
~Chach~
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#3 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Jun 6, 2007 5:27 pm

I agree it really should be Piniero. Hopefully they are just willing to swallow the contract or maybe get low ,never make it to the show minor leaguer for him. Either way Lopez has earned his spot with Boston.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#4 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jun 7, 2007 5:00 am

Timlin.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
BS007
Banned User

Post#5 » by BS007 » Thu Jun 7, 2007 3:29 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Timlin.

The Red Sox aren't gonna send a veteran like Timlin down to Triple A or release him. And he is better than Piniero
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jun 7, 2007 10:57 pm

True, but I'm all in favor of trading or releasing Joel Pineiro as well. Bring up Breslow and Delcarmen. DFA/Trade Timlin and Pineiro. Then when Lester is ready trade/DFA Romero and slide Tavarez into the pen.

Easy stuff.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#7 » by wetsthebed » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:14 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Timlin.
I was just gonna said that when I read your post. I'd rather just keep Timlin down..
BS007
Banned User

Post#8 » by BS007 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:20 am

You can't keep a guy of Timlin's rep and major league experience in Triple A. Thats not professional. And your out of your mind if you would take Piniero over Timlin
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:04 am

Screw professional. Do what is best for the team, not for one person's feelings. I say it's unprofessional to take emotion into baseball moves.

You can't just keep Timlin in AAA anyway. You release him. Say, "Thanks, Mike for being a great reliever for those few years, and thanks for the World Series ring. Peace, dude. One love. Just don't sign with the Yankees and you're good."

Theo should get on this.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by sunshinekids99 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:58 am

I'd rather have Timlin than Pinero.
BS007
Banned User

Post#11 » by BS007 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:08 pm

sunshinekids99 wrote:I'd rather have Timlin than Pinero.

Exactly
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#12 » by Basketball Jesus » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:55 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Screw professional. Do what is best for the team, not for one person's feelings. I say it's unprofessional to take emotion into baseball moves.

You can't just keep Timlin in AAA anyway. You release him. Say, "Thanks, Mike for being a great reliever for those few years, and thanks for the World Series ring. Peace, dude. One love. Just don't sign with the Yankees and you're good."

Theo should get on this.

OMG but he's one of TEH 25. You cannot treat him like that.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by sunshinekids99 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:30 pm

If he's the worst option than Timlin should be moved. I just don't think that's the case.

Return to Boston Red Sox