Image Image Image Image

Tanaka

karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Tanaka 

Post#1 » by karch34 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:04 am

So based on reports were definitely in the running and Levine is reporting we're going to outbid the competition.

Not to be premature here, but does a signing like this mean Theo and Co think we're closer to contending than we think? I don't see it this year, but it could be a pretty good indicator Baez and others could be close to arriving.

Thoughts?
HBK9
Sophomore
And1: 5

Re: Tanaka 

Post#2 » by HBK9 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:43 pm

I think they are trying to sign him for several reasons, both on the field and off. He is young and if his stuff is as good as advertised, true #1's are hard to come by nowadays and if you have one, you keep them. If you can get one, you go all out. Of course the rest of the rotation leaves a lot to be desired but hey, if you can waste all that money on Jackson instead of using it to pick up a better pitcher or as some may argue, give to Garza, then why not Tanaka. Quick comment on Garza, I think they made a good move with that as much as it kills me to say it. He is a good pitcher but the injury history and potential were too much to overlook. Of course they sign Jackson to keep the Cubbie way of good move, stupid move going.

Tanaka signs here or the Dodgers, that's where my money would lie and if you held a gun to my head to pick one, I thin he goes to the Dodgers.
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by karch34 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:50 am

Good point. I still don't feel like we're as likely to sign him as they make it sound, but he is at a great age for a player you're going to throw a big contract too. He might also be the best option for next years free agent group too so I'm sure that plays into it.

I think the Garza move was a good one too due to injury as much as anything. I think Jackson could still be good and with a Tanaka he becomes a #3/4 type starter which is more in line with his skills (not his $)
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by karch34 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:22 pm

Oh we'll. seemed unlikely anyway.
Air Poohdini
Assistant Coach
And1: 328

Post#5 » by Air Poohdini » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:39 pm

The Yankee's are going to be in a financial pickle once A-Rod returns.
If Dennis Rodman drove a truck, he'd give all the refs a ride!
HBK9
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#6 » by HBK9 » Fri Feb 7, 2014 9:21 pm

If I spend $155, you better believe you are going to be a number 1. haha

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... -3-starter

I get it though. Good try by Cashman.

My question/thought is how much resentment is there towards Tanaka? Just a random thought given that the other players had to wait to get an offer and some still are.

Return to Chicago Cubs