Image Image Image Image

Jacob Turner

GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Jacob Turner 

Post#1 » by GYBE » Wed Aug 6, 2014 7:50 pm

For some reason the Marlins DFA'd Jacob Turner and we were lucky enough to be able to claim him. The Rockies passed, which allowed us to take him since the waiver order starts with the worst records in the NL. Now we have to make a deal with the Marlins.

Turner is only 23. He was once a top prospect. Although his ERA has been ugly this year, his peripherals and xFIP are about league-average. He can get up to 96 on his fastball. He's pretty much the ideal reclamation project, someone with a ton of talent that's gotten fairly unlucky lately. Assuming we get him in the orgnization, I can't wait to see what Bosio can do with him.

I think there's a real chance he's in the rotation next year. Probably won't turn around quite like Arrieta has, but it would be a great pickup since he'll cost so little.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,487

Re: Jacob Turner 

Post#2 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Aug 6, 2014 8:49 pm

He was a top 20 prospect just two year ago. He has very good stuff. He would be a great project for Bosio. He is still only 23. I have no idea why the Marlins would waive him. They just continue to show they are the worst ran organization in sports.

Cubs also DFA'd Schierholtz and activated Fujikawa today. So a lot of roster moves the last few days. Vizcaino and Soler should be coming in the near future, although I can see that waiting until after the AAA playoffs are over for Iowa.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
NW7
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#3 » by NW7 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 5:40 pm

Love the pickup. I don't understand the Marlins just giving up on him like this, and I also don't understand why the Rockies didn't put in a claim on him. Oh well I guess, the rich get richer. Hopefully Bosio can work some magic on him. The pitching rotation could actually be quite solid next year .....

Sign Lester and another on the James Shields level maybe
Arrieta keeps pitching well enough to be a solid #2 guy
Two of these guys step up: Hendricks, Wood, Jackson(or he can just be DFA'd), Turner, Strailey or Wada

This isn't even super far fetched either. If the young hitters can impress, well who knows how next year will be. I'm just getting my hopes to high.....

Also the Cubs apparently hosted Rusney Castillo for a workout earlier in the week. Apparently the opinions on him are split, either way something to keep your eye on.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#4 » by karch34 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 8:30 pm

Got him. Reports are two lower level relievers that aren't significant prospects. Great move.

Return to Chicago Cubs