Image Image Image Image

Cubs become favorites in the NL

errisal
Head Coach
And1: 406

Post#1 » by errisal » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:24 pm

With the supposed signing of Jason Heyward to go along with the upgrade in pitching I believe the Cubs now become the favorites in the NL. I can easily see this team surpassing the Mets. I also see this team winning the NL Central and therefore becoming the favorites to represent the NL in the WS.

Projected Lineup:

CF - Heyward
LF - Schwarber
1B - Rizzo
3B - Bryant
RF - Soler
2B - Zobrist
C - Montero
SS - Russell

Rotation:
Arrieta
Lester
Lackey
Hammell
Hendricks
"The Cubs will Win a World Series title in my Lifetime! I plan to live to the age of 150 and the Cubs Win it in 2017! :nod: "
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 411

Post#2 » by Bulls69 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:29 pm

I love it but Jorge Soler maybe traded for more pitching help

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Re: Cubs become favorites in the NL 

Post#3 » by ADDinChicago » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Honestly, I don't see how they weren't before today because of what other potential "favorites" has lost already/age.

Soler & Baez should both be moved now to better round-out the roster and they no longer have a position. I like both players, but I also hate the idea of Heyward in CF for 150 games or so. Still need pen help and depth. And we can't forget McKinney, Almora, etc. are still on the farm. It's a good problem to have.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#4 » by hermes » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:26 pm

the betting markets have had the cubs as the favorites to win the world series the whole offseason i think
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#5 » by karch34 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:20 am

My gut tells me if anyone is moved now its Baez for pitching, like a young cost controlled starter. I think we keep Soler for now, but if Hayward doesn't look like a fit in CF and we have an in house option then Soler is a deadline move.

Pen help and depth probably get taken care of once the market slows down a bit and there's some value signings.

Still a lot relying on Hammel and Lackey, but right now hard to think we're not a favorite.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#6 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:22 pm

hermes wrote:the betting markets have had the cubs as the favorites to win the world series the whole offseason i think

Yes, but you have to remember part of that, no matter how good, it's the "sucker" bet. Chicago, NY, LA, etc. are always easy marks and how odds makers make their money but especially the Cubs because of how many people want to say "I bet on it" if and when they finally win it all. All of us know some goof that goes to Vegas every year, even when the Cubs suck, to win it all to say they did. And even when they were predicted to win about 65 games a couple of seasons ago, the odds sucked. And that's how odds are made. You want to take in equal money on both sides. The Cubs may be the legitimate favorites and you're never going to get a good bet because of who they are.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#7 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:24 pm

karch34 wrote:My gut tells me if anyone is moved now its Baez for pitching, like a young cost controlled starter. I think we keep Soler for now, but if Hayward doesn't look like a fit in CF and we have an in house option then Soler is a deadline move.

Pen help and depth probably get taken care of once the market slows down a bit and there's some value signings.

Still a lot relying on Hammel and Lackey, but right now hard to think we're not a favorite.

A lot depends on who strikes out (no pun intended) in free agency. A team like the Angels or Nationals would probably be willing to give up more now for a Soler. Baez makes perfect sense, but so does Soler. Still have Coughlan to play CF and move Heyward back to RF to start the season and then move Coughlan if and when Almora is promoted. The Cubs needs pitching and they have too many position players worthy of a starting gig.

Return to Chicago Cubs