Image Image Image Image

2017-18 offseason thread - fire up the stove!

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

2017-18 offseason thread - fire up the stove! 

Post#1 » by hermes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:30 pm

alright, so we didn't win (or get back to) the world series but i think we can still consider this a successful year - but we were far from perfect (or even close to the juggernaut of the 2016 team)

so what is your off-season to-do list?

who do you want to keep?
who should go (trade or let free agents walk)?
what moves do you want to make (trades/signings)?

the pitching staff needs some work, maybe a whole rebuild in the bullpen and a couple new starters? the young core is still very good and probably shouldn't be broken up, but are there some moves to be made around the edges that could be the difference next year?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Re: 2017-18 offseason thread - fire up the stove! 

Post#2 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:16 pm

I'd like to see them resign Jake or sign a proven FA pitcher. Improve the bullpen depth. Resign Jay. Trade Schwarber for pitching, either young cost controlled pitching or top prospects.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
hermes
RealGM

Post#3 » by hermes » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:15 pm

i'd move schwarber for pitching too, it was fun while it lasted but that outfield defense...woof

and i don't know about resigning jake, i know he's meant a lot to this teams turn around the last three years but any deal would be for a lot of years and money on the wrong side of his 30s and while he can still be solid, we're already there with lester
hermes
RealGM

Post#4 » by hermes » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:01 pm

pitching coach was fired, you guys have anyone out there you like to fill the spot?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:07 am

hermes wrote:pitching coach was fired, you guys have anyone out there you like to fill the spot?

Mike Maddux is a potential candidate. Jim Hickey was fired by Tampa. Hickey worked with Maddon in Tampa and is from Chicago so I'm somewhat expecting him to be the hire.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Chili Davis is the new hitting coach and they also changed 3rd base coaches. Still no pitching coach hire.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#7 » by karch34 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:25 am

Jim Hickey pitching coach. Not a huge surprise IMO.

Arietta is a tough call. His contract would run long into the wrong side of 30 but Darvish, Lynn, Cobb, & Cashner who are at the top of the list are roughly the same age. Darvish is probably the only one looking at a similar contract, but pitching isn't cheap so none are better options only possibly more cost palatable. The other free agent starters that are out there are in the Lackey age range so that's only a stop gap.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:54 am

I think you bite the bullet on Arrieta. You fill the 5th starter role from within the system since I don't see them paying $15M for a 5th starter again next season if they pay Arrieta and bring in the needed bullpen help.
hermes
RealGM

Post#9 » by hermes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:46 pm

really cleaning house on the coaching staff
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:40 pm

hermes wrote:really cleaning house on the coaching staff

I liked the Chili Davis move. He will stress situational hitting and approaches instead the 3 outcome approach they have been focusing on of K, BB or HR. I'm indifferent on the other moves. Bosio did a lot of good, but the bullpen walked a lot of people last year and he never could get that corrected. They have a more aggressive 3rd base coach now and Red Sox fans will tell you he is reckless and sends guys when he shouldn't. The Cubs like to apply pressure to defenses and I think he will help with that.
Truebiscuit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,005

Post#11 » by Truebiscuit » Fri Nov 3, 2017 4:47 pm

I don't think Schwarbs is going anywhere, he is Theo's baby.

Might have to flip one of Russell or Baez, though. I'm a Baez guy...
Working on becoming Titletown:
Bears - 9
Bulls - 6
Blackhawks - 6
Cubs - 3
White Sox - nobody cares :D
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:11 pm

Truebiscuit wrote:I don't think Schwarbs is going anywhere, he is Theo's baby.

Might have to flip one of Russell or Baez, though. I'm a Baez guy...

I think you could be right about Schwarber because he really should have been moved by now. You have to think they could have moved him of Gleyber or Eloy and kept the higher potential player. I'm really not happy they moved Eloy Jiminez over Schwarber. Eloy will have a better bat and glove and could be up as early as next year after tearing up AA with a .359/.397/.559 line. Schwarber's AA line was .320/.438/.579, but Schwarber was 22 at the time and Eloy turns 21 this off-season. The defensive difference is massive. Eloy is a good RF and Schwarber is barely a passable LF.

I can't see them moving Addy or Baez. I don't see them going to Zobrist as a full-time 2B at this point in his career. I think Happ could get moved if they are ready to hand CF to Almora or stick with Jay and Almora in CF next year. Addy struggled in the first half, but his 2nd half line was .274/.324/.516 which is right in line with expectations along with his great defense. As much as Theo and Maddon talk about wanting players to be able to play multiple positions and have that flexibility Schwarber is the only person that doesn't give them that. Schwarber is a good player which is why the return would be good, but I don't like his fit on the Cubs. Heyward is another one that I could see them moving in a deal even with minimal return. I like Heyward, but I was disappointed his OBP was again much lower than his career average. I think moving Heyward would be financially motivated more then return motivated to open up money for Arrieta, Wade Davis and another bullpen arm.

Depending on their payroll limitations, which might not exist, they might do something really fun/crazy like move Heyward to open up RF then move Schwarber and others for Stanton to take over RF and still resign Arrieta, Davis and find another veteran bullpen arm or two. I do not believe Stanton is realistic, but I'd love to have him. If I really got to spend the team's money with reckless abandon I'd just build a package for Stanton around Schwarber then go with an OF of Stanton, Heyward, Jay, Zobrist and one of Almora/Happ. I'm assuming it would probably take Schwarber and one of Almora/Happ plus prospects to land Stanton. Stanton did clear waivers after the trade deadline and no one traded for that contract so his trade value might be lower than I think it is.
hermes
RealGM

Post#13 » by hermes » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:00 pm

qualifying offer sent to arrieta and davis
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#14 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:38 pm

Looks like they started some talks with Cobb's agent, since he has a history with Madden.

Not sure if he's the solution to all of our issues but it would be a move in the right direction and wouldn't cost significant assets (besides $ of course)
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:07 pm

Cubs add Tyler Chatwood. 3yrs and $38M. A solid pitching addition. A ground ball pitcher with 58% of his balls in play were ground balls last year and 55% for his career. The last three years he has had a 2.57 ERA on the road. I mention the road ERA because it was 6.07 at Coors and 4.27 overall. At worst he'll be a solid 5th starter and given his splits he could end up taking a Jake Arrieta type of jump getting out of Coors.
hermes
RealGM

Post#16 » by hermes » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:55 am

seems like a pretty good add, and it didn't break the bank
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:26 pm

Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees. I heard Castro is involved in the trade, but haven't heard who else is going to Miami. I'm glad he ended up there over the Cards or another NL team. I was conflicted on if the Cubs should make a push for him and what the price tag would have been. I don't think I would have been happy with a price tag of Schwarber, Javy and prospects. Schwarber and prospects I would have loved to see.

Maybe the Cubs can take advantage of the fire sale in Miami and get Yelich to play CF and hit at the top of the order. Something like Schwarber for Yelich. A Happ/Yelich/Heyward outfield would be great defensively. The Cubs would also have Zobrist and Zagunis to be the 4th and 5th OFs. With all 3 starters being able to cover CF for rest or injury I don't mind the idea of not having a 4th/5th OF that can play there.
hermes
RealGM

Post#18 » by hermes » Sat Dec 9, 2017 11:10 pm

what about almora? or would he be in the deal for yelich too?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:32 am

hermes wrote:what about almora? or would he be in the deal for yelich too?

I don't know how I forgot about Almora. I'd use him for Yelich if needed. Ideally, you'd move him in a separate deal to help the bullpen if you added an established CF like Yelich. I like Almora, but if you get a chance to add a player like Yelich you jump on it. Yelich has had a 4.5 WAR in 3 of the last 4 seasons. To put that in perspective that is more in each of those seasons then Schwarber has in his whole career.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#20 » by karch34 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:56 pm

So it appears weve signed Morrow and Cobb seems very probable.

I would hope that we sign Davis as kind of getting tired of trading prospects for closers and bullpen help with nothing to show for it, even if Davis himself didnt cost a significant piece.

Return to Chicago Cubs