Image Image Image Image

Rumor

Bully6789
Senior
And1: 26

Rumor  

Post#1 » by Bully6789 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:06 am

Read a rumor saying Cubs and giants are talking about a Hayward Trade. Hayward has a no trade clause

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Re: Rumor 

Post#2 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:43 am

That really only makes sense if they are planning on trying to be significant players in FA or have a Giancarlo Stanton trade lineup up if they can move Heyward. Moving Schwarber would make much more sense if they are trying to clear playing time for current players.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#3 » by karch34 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:24 am

I think it does make sense independent of Schwarber in that it's a lot of money tied up in an elite defensive player who is not bringing much on offense. Whether that money is for FA or retaining players is up for debate.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#4 » by hermes » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:50 pm

i don't mind heyward, his defense is great. offense leaves a lot to be desired but he did improve from his first year here (when he was atrocious). it is a lot of money to spend though

is there a way to combine heyward's defense and schwarber's offense into one person?
Truebiscuit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,005

Post#5 » by Truebiscuit » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:02 am

I heard that as well but I doubt it... Giants need a power bat.
Working on becoming Titletown:
Bears - 9
Bulls - 6
Blackhawks - 6
Cubs - 3
White Sox - nobody cares :D
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#6 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 pm

i'd go gaga for stanton, but jesus that contract runs through 2027, that's a long long time. If we moved heyward it would seem more palatable I guess.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#7 » by ChettheJet » Sat May 5, 2018 3:19 pm

Trading Hayward does at least two things. Frees up salary to allow signing a big FA next year like Harper as well as opening a position for him. Gives the Cubs a chance to find a LH leadoff hitter even if he plays center and Almora and Zobrist can play right. If Happ was performing at all this year they could do fine with him and Almora splitting time in center and leading off. But he seems like he's swinging to go deep and not even that is working. So long as they have Zobrist to play infield and outfield Happ's versatility isn't required if he's not hitting. Plus they've got LaStella.

If they want to take Schwarber out of left against a lefty, Bryant can move back, LaStella can play third or Zobrist plays second and Baez plays third.

Return to Chicago Cubs