Ivica Zubac, Clippers Agree To Three-Year, $33M Extension

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Ivica Zubac, Clippers Agree To Three-Year, $33M Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:15 pm

Ivica Zubac and the Los Angeles Clippers have agreed to a three-year, $33 million extension.

The Clippers declined their $7.5 million team option for 22-23 on Zubac in order to sign him to an extension.

The Clippers traded for Zubac in 2019.

tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Re: Ivica Zubac, Clippers Agree To Three-Year, $33M Extension 

Post#2 » by tigerae » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:58 pm

Decent signing. He needs to work on getting better defending smaller players, but he's solid.
coolbyme
Junior
And1: 48

Post#3 » by coolbyme » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:18 pm

Good money, I'd gladly take him on the Raptors at that price (if we hadn't drafted Koloko)

Crazy how 10 years ago he would've commanded nearly top dollar eh

Sent from my SM-A115F using RealGM mobile app
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 380

Post#4 » by The-Stallion70 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:39 pm

I feel like he could have gotten more on the open market. A seven foot center with experience, this time was probably his chance for the biggest contract of his career.

Not saying it is horrible money but I still feel like he could have gotten more money on the open market.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#5 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:25 am

The-Stallion70 wrote:I feel like he could have gotten more on the open market. A seven foot center with experience, this time was probably his chance for the biggest contract of his career.

Not saying it is horrible money but I still feel like he could have gotten more money on the open market.

Pretty sure they worked out a deal before declining the team option, by doing this Zubac gets more money and the multi year now, and Clippers get some sort of discount.

Had they not been able to work it out, Clippers would have just picked up the option and had him for cheaper next year.
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#6 » by objectivefan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:44 am

It still hurts that the Lakers gave him away for 2 donuts and a diet coke.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#7 » by tigerae » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:58 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:I feel like he could have gotten more on the open market. A seven foot center with experience, this time was probably his chance for the biggest contract of his career.

Pretty sure they worked out a deal before declining the team option, by doing this Zubac gets more money and the multi year now, and Clippers get some sort of discount.

Had they not been able to work it out, Clippers would have just picked up the option and had him for cheaper next year.

That's not to say it can't be done, Boozer signed with the Jazz even after they had a verbal agreement with the Cavs. However, Zubac seems like a nice enough dude and he fit well with the Clippers roster atm.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#8 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:28 am

tigerae wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

That's not to say it can't be done, Boozer signed with the Jazz even after they had a verbal agreement with the Cavs. However, Zubac seems like a nice enough dude and he fit well with the Clippers roster atm.

Yeah that was such a **** move, basically same exact situation. I had to Google it just now to recollect the details, the Cavs really did him a solid by letting him out of a sub $1M option year. Pelinka ended up resigning as Boozers agent afterwards due to the fallout.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#9 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:08 am

Probably so but some guys probably want that stability. He's been living in LA since 2016 which has its perks.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#10 » by HotelVitale » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:13 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:I feel like he could have gotten more on the open market. A seven foot center with experience, this time was probably his chance for the biggest contract of his career. Not saying it is horrible money but I still feel like he could have gotten more money on the open market.

Unlikely, almost no competitive teams have cap space this year so he was probably just looking at getting a handful of teams offering the MLE. His Clips offer is for about the exact same as the MLE, so makes sense his agent would advise him to lock up the sure thing now.

Return to Wiretap Discussion