OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#701 » by cjmcallist » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:15 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Toronto is going to want a star's package to trade OG and he'll likely expect a star's payday to be re-signed. OG is a really nice starting piece but he isn't and never will be a star. I wouldn't say he's injury prone but he's not the most durable guy. Offensively I don't see him being able to consistently pull his weight as the third best player on a championship team. Maybe he could be that third option on a team like Brooklyn with two offensive juggernauts but we aren't built that way. I love the idea of OG but I don't see a way to make it work. Also, I'm not trading Jalen or Giddey for him.

I also like the idea of OG but really it’s because I see him as a Dort upgrade. Mikal Bridges contract gives me hope that OG’s next deal won’t be too bad, but obviously Bridges was restricted.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#702 » by cjmcallist » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:16 am

I don’t expect him to be available at the deadline, but how would y’all feel about Trae Young? He could be the next star on the block.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#703 » by jake_swivel » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:17 am

cjmcallist wrote:I don’t expect him to be available at the deadline, but how would y’all feel about Trae Young? He could be the next star on the block.

I’d feel very bad about this.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#704 » by cjmcallist » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:25 am

jake_swivel wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:I don’t expect him to be available at the deadline, but how would y’all feel about Trae Young? He could be the next star on the block.

Lol. You don’t think Thunder culture could rein him in?

Or is it more on court concerns?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#705 » by jake_swivel » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:34 am

cjmcallist wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

Both of these would be concerns. On the court, I don’t like his ball dominance. Defensively, he doesn’t have the body to ever be a decent defender. Off the court, it doesn’t look good. Teammates have never seemed to like him even at OU. Got into it with Nate. And he needs to shave his head.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#706 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:32 am

He’d be a great fit with the rockets. He’s probably my least favorite “star” in the nba. I’m honestly not sure if I’d be less enthused with Young or Kevin Durant trying to weasel his way back to win a championship by latching on to Shai’s teat.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#707 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:16 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

He’d be a great fit with the rockets. He’s probably my least favorite “star” in the nba. I’m honestly not sure if I’d be less enthused with Young or Kevin Durant trying to weasel his way back to win a championship by latching on to Shai’s teat.

He might be the only star willing to play for us though :)
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#708 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:01 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

He might be the only star willing to play for us though :)

I think Trae's top priority is doing what Trae wants. I'll pass. 8-)
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#709 » by slick_watts » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:29 pm

i'd prefer dejounte murray or john collins from the hawks. trae young, no thanks.
Woerzboerg
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#710 » by Woerzboerg » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:03 pm

OG would be a very good addition, especially if we want to compete rather sooner than later. We need one big wing who can defend and score. But his contract situation isn't that good and we would have to pay a relativeley high price (Dort + picks). Maybe in the summer, involving an instant extension and a little less picks (and a lot of dead money will be off the books, so we could acquire him mostly into space). I think it would take roundabout 3 Firstrounder and maybe one of the young guys to get him, but I would only do it if he accepts an extension.

SGA - Joe
Giddey - Dort - Wiggins
JDub - Kenrich - Dieng
OG - Poku - Rookie
Chet - Muscala

Would be a decent squad.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#711 » by slick_watts » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:20 pm

thunder should try and squeeze phoenix or boston in their rfa negotiations with cam johnson or grant williams, respectively. either one would be a great fit at PF.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Post#712 » by kdthunderup » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:02 pm

I don’t see why we would bring in a new piece when things are growing organically and we have Chet still to even play. We should be waiting until guys have been giving a chance to hit their ceilings and play together for a bit before we assess if we need to bring something else in.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#713 » by Xatticus » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:31 am

cjmcallist wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

I just don't think he is that valuable. He is a very good offensive player, but his value is significantly hampered by his lack of interest/ability at the defensive. He'll always be significantly overcompensated.

I don't think any of these options are realistic at this deadline beyond Patrick Williams, but that's assuming Chicago would move Williams for anything we have to offer. If Chicago tears it down, then perhaps they'd take a pick for Williams, but that seems unlikely. We just don't have the matching salaries with all the dead cap on our books for this year and I really don't believe Presti is interested in moving Dort at this point in time.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#714 » by cjmcallist » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:36 am

kdthunderup wrote:I don’t see why we would bring in a new piece when things are growing organically and we have Chet still to even play. We should be waiting until guys have been giving a chance to hit their ceilings and play together for a bit before we assess if we need to bring something else in.

I think this is the best answer. But, in the meantime how do we add talent? If we’re picking at 10-14 it won’t be through the draft. Might as well see if we can grab some undervalued long term contributors.

This is assuming our hot streak is more than just a streak. We could just as easily lose five in a row starting in Feb.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Post#715 » by kdthunderup » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:36 am

cjmcallist wrote:
kdthunderup wrote:I don’t see why we would bring in a new piece when things are growing organically and we have Chet still to even play. We should be waiting until guys have been giving a chance to hit their ceilings and play together for a bit before we assess if we need to bring something else in.

I think this is the best answer. But, in the meantime how do we add talent? If we’re picking at 10-14 it won’t be through the draft. Might as well see if we can grab some undervalued long term contributors.

This is assuming our hot streak is more than just a streak. We could just as easily lose five in a row starting in Feb.
Oh I’m not against bringing in some bench contributors or vets on decent contracts. I just don’t think we should be going out there and making any major moves for guys on big contracts until later on.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#716 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:13 pm

slick_watts wrote:thunder should try and squeeze phoenix or boston in their rfa negotiations with cam johnson or grant williams, respectively. either one would be a great fit at PF.

I think this is likely the path that OKC takes - grow internally this year (Maybe a Bazely move, but not much else if that) and go into the 23 offseason with a full war chest of picks and tons of cap space.

Cam or Grant would be elite fits at PF, but I tend to think neither team lets them go. PJ is a decent consolation prize, not as shiny but who knows what he could do on a team that isnt booty. He seems to have a skillset that would really be useful if he was allowed to just play 3/D.

Another idea might be to snag PJ early using Bazely and a pick, if CHA isnt looking to pay him (And IMO they shouldnt given the current state of their team - paying high level role players when all you have is Ball and trash is silly)
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#717 » by slick_watts » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:59 pm

because the thunder are on the clock for four years of sga before he hits unrestricted free agency.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#718 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:52 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
slick_watts wrote:thunder should try and squeeze phoenix or boston in their rfa negotiations with cam johnson or grant williams, respectively. either one would be a great fit at PF.

I think this is likely the path that OKC takes - grow internally this year (Maybe a Bazely move, but not much else if that) and go into the 23 offseason with a full war chest of picks and tons of cap space.

Cam or Grant would be elite fits at PF, but I tend to think neither team lets them go. PJ is a decent consolation prize, not as shiny but who knows what he could do on a team that isnt booty. He seems to have a skillset that would really be useful if he was allowed to just play 3/D.

Another idea might be to snag PJ early using Bazely and a pick, if CHA isnt looking to pay him (And IMO they shouldnt given the current state of their team - paying high level role players when all you have is Ball and trash is silly)

well actually I think they should wait to see if they can get VIctor or Scoot. If not then yeah, they should consider trading PJ.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#719 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:28 pm

He is the next star on the block. But, he is a cone on defense.

IDK if he fits what this team is trying to do. As they would probably look for a more complete star player if they went that rout.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#720 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:37 pm

slick_watts wrote:

because the thunder are on the clock for four years of sga before he hits unrestricted free agency.

Presti never really went all in until he had to with the KD and Westbrook teams. You win with stars in this league. But, I think there is a particular mind set they want in a player.

Taking long 3's is cool and all but that's not really what the Thunder believe in. There is also a point where you don't want to bring the wrong mixture into the locker room.

The Thunder could have max cap space this off season. If the right guy is there I could see them taking a swing especially since you know who your draft pick is going into Free Agency/ Trade season.

Kd for Dort and FPR's would work under the salary cap. I doubt this is a rout the Thunder take. But, that's the types of swings the franchise will be able to take. Make a lost of your top 10 players on your wish list. At least 5 will be available for trade in the next 5 years. Just make sure you are flexible enough to make the deal when the guy becomes available. That's what the Knicks are doing right now. Loading up draft picks and non guaranteed deals hoping that their future star requests a trade.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder