If you could re do the Cade, Green and Mobley draft would you go differently

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,722

Re: If you could re do the Cade, Green and Mobley draft would you go differently 

Post#801 » by jasonxxx102 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:33 pm

Man they must have some real hard stuff in the water up in Toronto :lol:

Everything they say about raptors fans is true. Being a super fan is one thing but this is… something
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Re: If you could re do the Cade, Green and Mobley draft would you go differently 

Post#802 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:05 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:We're not really comparing Barnes to Magic are we? This is pretty outrageous even for RGM

"We're not really comparing Luka to Bird, are we?"

Every great started their career as a nobody. A comparison doesn't mean they'll match the career of the player they're being compared to. It means there are similarities in their games.

Luka right now is the same age as Larry Bird was as a rookie, and Luka is already a 3x all NBA first team player and led his team to WCC. The young Luke v Young Bird comparisons are unfair because Luka is considerably ahead.

Likewise Magic was a rookie all star and won finals MVP in his first season. Barnes is a borderline top 100 player.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#803 » by tooler » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:15 pm

Nice, I was just wondering today what Franz's efficiency was like in the clutch. He's awesome in the 4th but I've noticed he still has a lot to learn about coverage changes late in the game since he's the 1st option.

For example, he had the ball on the final possession against Utah but the play ended up getting Lauri switched on to him and they needed a 3, so it was an easy block. He should've changed the play.

And in that example I mentioned about Portland, when they first switched Jerami Grant onto him, he had a 3PT shot blocked as well. Next time down the court he realized if Jerami Grant was guarding him, then he was no longer guarding Paolo, so he passed it off and the team got free throws out of it two possessions in a row.

It's good that he has something to work on.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#804 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:23 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:We're not really comparing Barnes to Magic are we? This is pretty outrageous even for RGM

Every great started their career as a nobody. A comparison doesn't mean they'll match the career of the player they're being compared to. It means there are similarities in their games.

How is this anywhere the same as that? Luka in his 2nd season at just 20 years old he already made 1st Team All NBA. Luka is on pace to have 4 straight 1st Team All NBA seasons in just his first 5 seasons in the NBA. Luka is already on pace for putting up a resume that ATGs have. This isnt even including the fact he is averaging 32/9/8 in the playoffs so far in his career. Luka has already done enough in his short career where getting compared to all time greats arent crazy comparisons.

Again

Luka year 2: 1st Team All NBA
Barnes year 2: Not even in discussion for all star game
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,277

Post#805 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:32 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Luka right now is the same age as Larry Bird was as a rookie, and Luka is already a 3x all NBA first team player and led his team to WCC. The young Luke v Young Bird comparisons are unfair because Luka is considerably ahead.

Likewise Magic was a rookie all star and won finals MVP in his first season. Barnes is a borderline top 100 player.

Try reading my post again.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#806 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:32 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

How is this anywhere the same as that? Luka in his 2nd season at just 20 years old he already made 1st Team All NBA. Luka is on pace to have 4 straight 1st Team All NBA seasons in just his first 5 seasons in the NBA. Luka is already on pace for putting up a resume that ATGs have. This isnt even including the fact he is averaging 32/9/8 in the playoffs so far in his career. Luka has already done enough in his short career where getting compared to all time greats arent crazy comparisons.

Again

You missed the entire point of my post.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#807 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:41 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Again

Yes I get the point of your post. There are similarities in their game. My point was using the Luka to Bird part in your post is a bad comparison. Luka gets the Bird comparisons and there isnt major pushback because their games are similar(ish) and Luka is already putting up an all time great resume to start his career. So the comparison to another all time great isnt crazy.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#808 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:45 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Again

Yes I get the point of your post. There are similarities in their game. My point was using the Luka to Bird part in your post is a bad comparison. Luka gets the Bird comparisons and there isnt major pushback because their games are similar(ish) and Luka is already putting up an all time great resume to start his career. So the comparison to another all time great isnt crazy.

There was pushback to the comparison in Luka's rookie year. Plenty of people said it was premature.

The point wasn't ever that Luka would be as good or better than Bird. It was that Luka's game shared obvious similarities with Bird's.

You can replace the Luka example with any other player. Let's go with Curry, Giannis, or Jokic. Any comparisons between them and all-time greats were met with pushback until they broke out and cemented themselves as superstars (they broke out later than Luka). That doesn't mean any of those comparisons were wrong before they became all-time greats themselves.
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#809 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:50 pm

But Scottie Barnes doesnt have anything in common with Magic besides being tall and mobile.

Yeah Barnes is above average dribbling and passing for his size, but the gap between him and Magic is like the gap between Barnes and a total stiff who cant do anything
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#810 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:58 pm

If Scottie Barnes wants to live up to Magic Johnson comparisons he needs to contract HIV

This is not especially appropriate, man. Please think twice next time. -b
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#811 » by KillMonger » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:50 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:If Scottie Barnes wants to live up to Magic Johnson comparisons he needs to contract HIV
jesus man..... :-? :-? :o
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,839

Post#812 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:52 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:If Scottie Barnes wants to live up to Magic Johnson comparisons he needs to contract HIV

...along with being unfaithful and profiting off gentrifying urban areas, amongst other things. Big shoes to fill...
Well at least we're not Detroit!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#813 » by basketballRob » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:02 am

He could be like Odom and marry a Kardashian.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Roger Murdock
RealGM

Post#814 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:20 am

KillMonger wrote:
jesus man..... :-? :-? :o

Well he aint gonna do it with playstyle on court
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,889

Post#815 » by Reeko » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:35 am

tooler wrote:Nice, I was just wondering today what Franz's efficiency was like in the clutch. He's awesome in the 4th but I've noticed he still has a lot to learn about coverage changes late in the game since he's the 1st option.

For example, he had the ball on the final possession against Utah but the play ended up getting Lauri switched on to him and they needed a 3, so it was an easy block. He should've changed the play.

And in that example I mentioned about Portland, when they first switched Jerami Grant onto him, he had a 3PT shot blocked as well. Next time down the court he realized if Jerami Grant was guarding him, then he was no longer guarding Paolo, so he passed it off and the team got free throws out of it two possessions in a row.

His defense, rebounding and creating for others need a lot of work as well.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,162

Post#816 » by djsunyc » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 am

this thread:

i have the best toy.
no no no no no, i have the best toy.
both of you are dumb b/c i have the best toy.
tooler
General Manager

Post#817 » by tooler » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 am

Reeko wrote:
tooler wrote:Nice, I was just wondering today what Franz's efficiency was like in the clutch. He's awesome in the 4th but I've noticed he still has a lot to learn about coverage changes late in the game since he's the 1st option.

His defense, rebounding and creating for others need a lot of work as well.

Agreed on the rebounding. Also his pull-up jump shooting if you watched the video. I'm not sure either of those things will ever really change. Not every young player solves every weakness. But that's okay.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,703

Post#818 » by Yallbecrazy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:00 am

Roger Murdock wrote:But Scottie Barnes doesnt have anything in common with Magic besides being tall and mobile.

Yeah Barnes is above average dribbling and passing for his size, but the gap between him and Magic is like the gap between Barnes and a total stiff who cant do anything

Barnes already has a better shot than Magic and let's be honest Magic in this era wouldn't have been as much of a standout. Picture Simmons with a better attitude, but still as **** of a shot.

Last year I had it
1. Barnes
2. Mobley
gap
3. Wagner
4. Cade
5. I don't know..Sengun?

This year it's Mobley, Barnes, and Wagner all kind of close together. They are all players that are floor raisers which is nice. Offensively Barnes is lacking the shot, Wagner the creation, and Mobley in the middle.
That being said I like that Wagner has shown more progress, Mobley an increase in proficiency and can pass well, while Barnes can finish really well in the post and around the rim.

I was overly high on Sengun last year ( had him #2 behind Mobley predraft) but he's the most fun to watch and I'd be excited to see him around other skilled, high IQ players
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#819 » by basketballRob » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:04 am

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
tooler
General Manager

Post#820 » by tooler » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:11 am

Looks like Franz is 4th among sophomores in potential assists at 7.3 per game, behind Cade, Giddey, and Barnes. Given his obvious talent at scoring and the obvious lack of shooting on the roster, I'd say his creation is about right for now. We want him taking those shots. That's the least of my worries.

Return to The General Board