Why Doesn’t anybody Buy Jokic Jerseys?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Tempe
Junior
And1: 512

Re: Why Doesn’t anybody Buy Jokic Jerseys? 

Post#41 » by Tempe » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:58 pm

He’s incredibly boring both on and off the court and his personality does not match well with Americans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#42 » by Jadoogar » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:05 pm

He's not exciting for kids and i'm guessing that's the largest market for jersey sales

I love Jokic but i can definitely see why kids aren't interested. It's the same reason that centers don't sell shoes, kids want to play like their favourite players and centers are just unrelatable because most kids don't want to play like centers. Kids want to play like Curry, Lebron, etc.
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#43 » by -Luke- » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:14 pm

Sgt Major wrote:Serbs do not buy jerseys. In European ultras culture, wearing jerseys to games is considered something that only casual fans do, so fans are buying clothing made by their ultras groups and not jerseys and shirts from official shops of the teams. Hence, when fans are not even buying jerseys of their home teams, it is unlikely that they will ever buy jerseys of the team Jokic is playing for.

Now regarding the US market, he's obviously not that attractive to non-Nuggets fans, so I don't find this surprising at all, given the fact that Denver is a small market.

Good point. Plus football/soccer is more popular in basically every European country (not sure about Lithuania) and there are less casual basketball fans than football fans to buy jerseys. People may buy a jersey of their favorite football club, but buying multiple jerseys is a bit expensive.

And lets be honest, sleeveless basketball jerseys are kinda weird to wear unless you have big arms.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,692

Post#44 » by KyRo23 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:14 pm

Tetlak wrote:Anybody who thinks Jokic doesn't have a personality simply doesn't pay attention. Dude is one of the goofiest players in the NBA.

You're right, but you're talking to the wrong people. I'd assume a lot of people on here don't even buy jerseys. The common NBA fan doesn't really know Jokic's personality and just buy the big name, flashy players
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#45 » by -Luke- » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:21 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:Serbs do not buy jerseys. In European ultras culture, wearing jerseys to games is considered something that only casual fans do, so fans are buying clothing made by their ultras groups and not jerseys and shirts from official shops of the teams. Hence, when fans are not even buying jerseys of their home teams, it is unlikely that they will ever buy jerseys of the team Jokic is playing for.

Now regarding the US market, he's obviously not that attractive to non-Nuggets fans, so I don't find this surprising at all, given the fact that Denver is a small market.

So instead of financially supporting your team, Serbian fans rather support ultras? Sounds kinda dumb to me.

If you have the choice between a nice t-shirt for 10 Euros and an official jersey for 100 Euros, just because it has a Nike sign on it, I don't think it's dumb to chose the former. It's also just a cultural thing. With the t-shirt you also indirectly support the club, because choreos etc. are financed that way. It's not that the ultra groups bath in champagne with the few bucks they make with their clothes.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,343

Post#46 » by Gusto1903 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:41 pm

because he doesnt celebrate like a little kid, after made buckets

Read on Twitter
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,456

Post#47 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:46 pm

Tempe wrote:He’s incredibly boring both on and off the court and his personality does not match well with Americans

He's one of the most exciting players in nba history to watch. Heck, even the old guys like Bill Simmons won't shut up about how exciting the guy is to watch!
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Post#48 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:49 pm

He's not cool.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,722

Post#49 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:49 pm

People still wear basketball jerseys?
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,048

Post#50 » by Lalouie » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:51 pm

he's not "glamorous"

you can take that statement anyway you want. regardless of where your rank his centership he doesn't have the umpphhh of giannis or embiid or davis
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,813

Post#51 » by TravisScott55 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:04 pm

Nobody cares about Jokic except internet nerds who care about VORP
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,075

Post#52 » by jokeboy86 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:25 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:because he doesnt celebrate like a little kid, after made buckets

Read on Twitter

I actually found this disturbing especially cause the fact they're doing it multiple times tells you the coaches are allowing it. Things have gone too far now.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,726

Post#53 » by naabzor » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:27 pm

TheShow2021 wrote:Fans like to live vicariously through their favorite player, imagine themselves as that person, and nobody wants to be the big ugly, boring (personality) guy, no matter how skilled and dominant he is.

Boring personality? That's not the case for Jokic.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,261

Post#54 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:33 pm

Tempe wrote:He’s incredibly boring both on and off the court and his personality does not match well with Americans

If you find Jokic boring on the court...Wow that's hard for me to wrap my head around. Who do you find exciting? Jokic's passing and bucket getting routinely have me laughing or shaking my head in disbelief multiple times per game.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,083

Post#55 » by og15 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:34 pm

BruttoNostra wrote:LOL at "he's boring"

If anything, he's among the only few players who aren't giving generic responses and is always fun to hear him talking - before, during and after the game.

I guess it's mainly his (non-existent) online presence, no TMZ articles, zero insta girls he has a baby with etc - basically, zero stuff that generates clicks.

The top players in jersey sales correlate with those quoted things?

1) Curry
2) LeBron
3) Giannis
4) Doncic
5) Durant

Hmm....don't know about much TMZ, insta girl baby momma stuff related to those guys there. I also don't know why having an insta girl baby mom would get people to buy ones jersey more :lol:
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,838

Post#56 » by whatisacenter » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:41 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:because he doesnt celebrate like a little kid, after made buckets

Read on Twitter

watching one 3rd grader doing the "too small" celebration on another 3rd grader was hilarious! :lol:
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
TwitterFingers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,417

Post#57 » by TwitterFingers » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:42 pm

If he was in a big market instead of Denver…
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#58 » by Maf » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:05 pm

I know it is an off-topic but only Jersey I have is Kyle Korver black 76ers jersey. I loved those and Korver was my favourite player ever. But I cannot wear it anymore. It like... shrank or something... :dontknow:
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
KokoKaizer
Sixth Man
And1: 2,157

Post#59 » by KokoKaizer » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:11 pm

God Squad wrote:LMAO. I saw who OP was and immediately knew there was an agenda towards Jokic/Nuggets.

Hey, he didn't mention "Embiid"

That's quite an improvement at least ;)
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,313

Post#60 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:27 pm

If no-look passes, game winning shots, game winning blocks, rainbow 3’s, full court passes, one legged fadeaway shots constitute as an incredibly boring player than I can only imagine what the other stars in the league are doing…

NBA Jam really did ruin the way that casuals view the sport smh
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!

Return to The General Board