Bucks lose Portis to MCL sprain....East outlook

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Bucks lose Portis to MCL sprain....East outlook 

Post#1 » by NetsWorld » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:48 pm

The Bucks cannot seem to catch a break with injuries and have not had a whole roster this season. On top of all the other teams which are injury riddled, Nets, Celtics and even Sixers(Embiid and Harden have missed stretches), it is hard to pick a sure fire favorite in the East. This injury bug is reminding me of the Nets last year; can Milwaukee get these guys together for a March-April run or will it be to late? Also, get well soon Portis. I love me some Bobby Portis.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,770

Re: Bucks lose Portis to MCL sprain....East outlook 

Post#2 » by Karate Diop » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:52 pm

Portis has been a nice piece for 'Waukee but If Middleton isn't right the Bucks are toast.
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,773

Post#3 » by Michael Jordan » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:57 pm

They'll be fine without him until he returns, if anything it'll make them more aggressive to acquire a pickup at the deadline/buyout market.
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#4 » by ArtMorte » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:59 pm

Unfortunate, he's been very good off the bench.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,184

Post#5 » by kenwood3333 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:59 pm

They still have Ibaka?
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,002

Post#6 » by jokeboy86 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:03 pm

I don't think people understand how big of a deal this is. Middleton is still not in game shape and Portis is the only other player along with Giannis and Jrue who can create his own shot. Not to mention that the Bucks already have basically 8 guys on the roster who are dead weight because they're not that good or Budenholzer simply won't play them. So you're back to asking Giannis to do more again which is basically asking for an injury.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,982

Post#7 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:07 pm

Until I see Middleton back and playing at his usual level, I have the Bucks behind the Celtics, Cavs, Nets, and maybe the Sixers. I still think they can hang with any of these teams in a series, but it will be as a sloggy defensive grinding team that doesn't have enough offense on many nights. This injury might turn them into a bottom 5 offense (they're already bottom 10), and that's just not contender level.

Portis' importance shouldn't be discounted. He's been majorly productive and filling in for Middleton as one of the Bucks main scorers. 14 and 10 in under 30mpg. This offense is bad and this injury makes it worse.

Unless Ibaka or Middleton come back... this team doesn't have someone to fill that rotation spots. The healthy answers on the roster are Joe Ingles (don't exactly want to ramp his minutes up considering his recent injuries), or... Jordan Nwora? (unplayable defensively), Thanasis? I wouldn't mind seeing more Beauchamp but he's day-to-day with a wrist injury.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,195

Post#8 » by The High Cyde » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:09 pm

Look for them to make a trade, they kinda badly need one.
WillyJakkz
RealGM
And1: 3,418

Post#9 » by WillyJakkz » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:49 pm

Must've been on that dunk the other nite, he hasn't jumped that high in yrs.

Hope he has a speedy recovery.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#10 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:57 pm

Time for Bucks to tank for Wemby. Wemby and Giannis gonna make everyone cry
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#11 » by NetsWorld » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:05 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:Until I see Middleton back and playing at his usual level, I have the Bucks behind the Celtics, Cavs, Nets, and maybe the Sixers. I still think they can hang with any of these teams in a series, but it will be as a sloggy defensive grinding team that doesn't have enough offense on many nights. This injury might turn them into a bottom 5 offense (they're already bottom 10), and that's just not contender level.

Portis' importance shouldn't be discounted. He's been majorly productive and filling in for Middleton as one of the Bucks main scorers. 14 and 10 in under 30mpg. This offense is bad and this injury makes it worse.

Unless Ibaka or Middleton come back... this team doesn't have someone to fill that rotation spots. The healthy answers on the roster are Joe Ingles (don't exactly want to ramp his minutes up considering his recent injuries), or... Jordan Nwora? (unplayable defensively), Thanasis? I wouldn't mind seeing more Beauchamp but he's day-to-day with a wrist injury.

Cavs is a stretch, the other teams yes, but as far as the Celtics, they too are having nagging injuries and it may hurt them in the long run as well. The East will come down to health in the end.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,450

Post#12 » by bisme37 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:10 pm

The Celtics are the team to beat in the East.

It's January and Smart having a sprained ankle and Brogdon's wife giving birth etc doesn't really change anything if we're thinking about the final standings and playoff picture.

I hope the Bucks get healthy though. They've had a really rough season for injuries. And KD with the Nets of course.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,286

Post#13 » by phanman » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:20 pm

They should really try to reintegrate Ibaka. 7 games before the trade deadline, so a prove it period to either get traded or back into the rotation. Has only played in 16 games @ 11.6mpg this season but extrapolated to per36 it is 12.8pts, 8.6reb with 1.4blks on 55.3%TS.

They really need about 15-20mins off the bench with nobody else on the bench to fill that role. Running Giannis & Lopez further into the ground should not be an option if they want them to last deep into the post season. Giannis is averaging the most minutes for him since 2018 and the first time Lopez has cracked 30+mpg for the first time since 2014 as a soon to be 35yo coming back from a major injury.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,098

Post#14 » by spanishninja » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:39 pm

Jae Crowder is available! Let's make a deal, Milwaukee :)
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,492

Post#15 » by JayMKE » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:48 pm

Bucks will miss Bobby for sure but the team doesn't really care much about the regular season, hopefully Middleton coming back can pick up the slack until he returns. Bucks are definitely depending on Brook a lot this year, he's been a iron man ironically enough. Team is weird and frustrating to watch this year, Detroit was the one game our team was entirely healthy this year.
FREE GIANNIS
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#16 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:53 pm

bisme37 wrote:The Celtics are the team to beat in the East.

It's January and Smart having a sprained ankle and Brogdon's wife giving birth etc doesn't really change anything if we're thinking about the final standings and playoff picture.

I hope the Bucks get healthy though. They've had a really rough season for injuries. And KD with the Nets of course.

I agree.

Everyone seems to keep saying the Bucks and Celtics are above the rest.

Its clearly the Celtics alone at the top. Now they are certainly not heavy favorites. But they are the best as of now.

The Bucks are coasting off a Championship run from 3 years ago in which everyone in the East was injured and the competition was weaker. Its really not relevant anymore.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,982

Post#17 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:56 pm

NetsWorld wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Until I see Middleton back and playing at his usual level, I have the Bucks behind the Celtics, Cavs, Nets, and maybe the Sixers. I still think they can hang with any of these teams in a series, but it will be as a sloggy defensive grinding team that doesn't have enough offense on many nights. This injury might turn them into a bottom 5 offense (they're already bottom 10), and that's just not contender level.

Cavs is a stretch, the other teams yes, but as far as the Celtics, they too are having nagging injuries and it may hurt them in the long run as well. The East will come down to health in the end.

Going to disagree with you on the Cavs. They have an elite defense, and their offense has been okay despite always seemingly having 1 of their top 4 guys out. Dean Wade and Rubio recently returned from injury and I can see this team possibly rounding into form in the second half of the season. I'm a big believer in the Cavs as a contender this year.

Celtics have had their injury problems in their shallow frontcourt. Robert Williams has only been back 16 games and is on a minutes restriction. Horford has been in and out of a lineup a little. But they don't stack up to the Bucks missing Middleton the entire season as well as their playoff series against each other last year. The Celtics are already deeper than the Bucks regardless, but losing Middleton is more like losing Jaylen Brown.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
NetsWorld
Starter

Post#18 » by NetsWorld » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:16 pm

JayMKE wrote:Bucks will miss Bobby for sure but the team doesn't really care much about the regular season, hopefully Middleton coming back can pick up the slack until he returns. Bucks are definitely depending on Brook a lot this year, he's been a iron man ironically enough. Team is weird and frustrating to watch this year, Detroit was the one game our team was entirely healthy this year.

Losing Portis sucks, he is an awesome energy player and has vastly improved his game over the years. I would advocate for a player like him to come to the Nets. Middleton's injury is definitely something to be worried about; Basically as I said earlier, yes Bucks are a championship culture level team, but it's tough to beat teams with continuity and without a key player.....Nets learned that the hard way last year in embarrassing fashion.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,115

Post#19 » by Edrees » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:35 pm

As nearly every year, the NBA Champion will be decided by who is the most healthy between April to June. Well, of the top 5 or 6 teams in the league.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Post#20 » by dockingsched » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:46 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:I don't think people understand how big of a deal this is. Middleton is still not in game shape and Portis is the only other player along with Giannis and Jrue who can create his own shot. Not to mention that the Bucks already have basically 8 guys on the roster who are dead weight because they're not that good or Budenholzer simply won't play them. So you're back to asking Giannis to do more again which is basically asking for an injury.

Is Portis out for the season? Are the Bucks fighting to stay in the playoff picture? If not then I don’t see how it’s that big of a deal. Every team deals with this.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore

Return to The General Board