Is online gaming bad for NBA players?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

maxpower8888
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,395

Re: Is online gaming bad for NBA players? 

Post#21 » by maxpower8888 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:24 pm

Of all the **** players can do that's detrimental to their careers, gaming is way down low near the bottom of the list.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#22 » by -Sammy- » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:31 pm

76ciology wrote:It’s better than gambling and doing drugs

Well, it's safer and healthier; I don't know about 'better'. 8-)
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,076

Post#23 » by og15 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:46 pm

Online gaming CAN be bad for players, this is similar to other things, it depends on the players ability to self regulate and to not let it consume them.

Players can stay up late and get sleep according to many players because their days don't always start early, but depends on the players schedule.

That said, online gaming can negatively affect development and performance for NBA players just like it can for other people in their fields.

Rendei wrote:Being a gamer doesn't necessarily correlate to a lack of sleep. Giannis claims to watch 8 hours of Netflix per day. These guys have time to kill.

Netflix and gaming are definitely on average very different in potential to disrupt sleep and keep people up. Not that binging Netflix can't do that, but it's just far less likely to do so than gaming.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,474

Post#24 » by Harry Garris » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:46 pm

Lalouie wrote:
hyper316 wrote:Purely from my own experience, I was an avid gamer in my younger days, I spent countless hours overnight playing online games. I can see that see negative effects to lack of proper rest leading to fatigue during the day affecting school and work.

Off the top of my head, I've read Ben Simmons, DeAndre Ayton, Kevin Knox were some NBA players that were big into online gaming. I'd say these players having lived up to their potential and their work ethics are highly regarded.

Is this a correlation or totally unrelated?

i'd say not

but there's no correlation anyway imo between bball output and gaming, and if these three are your examples of gaming and potential then they should stop gaming now.

athletes are kids at heart

Truth be told I have no idea how hard these guys work or don’t work in the offseason. But there is no doubt a correlation between the time and commitment you spend working on your craft and how much you will improve on it.

It doesn’t have to be gaming (I’m sure binging Netflix would have the same effect) but any activity that prevents you from getting in the gym and getting as much sleep as you should can’t be good for your development as a basketball player.
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,855

Post#25 » by Memories » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:54 pm

So much this. Especially the drugs part.

Len Bias would be still be alive and kicking if gaming was as prominent back then as it is today.
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,456

Post#26 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:02 pm

MrBigShot wrote:Online gaming isn't killing their careers. The real reason they haven't lived up to their potential is because they aren't really that passionate about basketball. Didn't DRob and Tim Duncan play dota?

I saw them playing brood war back in the day and I know Duncan was a huge WOW player, and I'm sure he was pulling late nights doing that. It's not play these players work 9-5. They have a lot of downtime to kill.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 785

Post#27 » by Ito » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:03 pm

Can’t be worse than social media and all the clout chasin and chasin these old IG models who in sum cases are twice their age just kuz they maybe had a lil crush growin up and then they finally get sum bread and go after the played out thot.. at least go after a new upcoming biddy
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,407

Post#28 » by Rendei » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:26 pm

og15 wrote:
Rendei wrote:Being a gamer doesn't necessarily correlate to a lack of sleep. Giannis claims to watch 8 hours of Netflix per day. These guys have time to kill.

Netflix and gaming are definitely on average very different in potential to disrupt sleep and keep people up. Not that binging Netflix can't do that, but it's just far less likely to do so than gaming.

Depends on the game, I suppose. The point is that these guys have 8 hours of free time per day to burn. It doesn't take very much discipline to restrict your gaming to 8 hours per day.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,956

Post#29 » by Liam_Gallagher » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:50 pm

svart wrote:Depends on the person i guess.

I am 49, still a hardcore gamer. But i am disciplined, i always was. i don't pull all-nighters during the week. i still do it on occasions in the weekends, but i don't let it impact my work or my time with my family.

You pull all nighters on the weekend and it doesn't affect your family time lol?
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,722

Post#30 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:37 pm

Spending hours staring at a TV screen is not awesome regardless of the reason.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,063

Post#31 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:42 pm

online gaming is helpful, yall tripping. develops reaction time, keeps central nervous system engaged, works on communication skills and keeps them from doing other worse things. theres quite a bit of research backing this up, and a lot of the better thinkers in the nba are big time gamers.
ghillphx
Junior
And1: 404

Post#32 » by ghillphx » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:45 pm

hyper316 wrote:Purely from my own experience, I was an avid gamer in my younger days, I spent countless hours overnight playing online games. I can see that see negative effects to lack of proper rest leading to fatigue during the day affecting school and work.

Off the top of my head, I've read Ben Simmons, DeAndre Ayton, Kevin Knox were some NBA players that were big into online gaming. I'd say these players havent lived up to their potential and their work ethics are highly regarded.

Is this a correlation or totally unrelated?

Edit: autocorrect having, should be havent

Kobe was a gamer. Booker is a gamer. Next question.
ghillphx
Junior

Post#33 » by ghillphx » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:46 pm

-Sammy- wrote:

Its definitely "better" than drugs and gambling. No question.
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,074

Post#34 » by Sgt Major » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:46 pm

Dembele had a problem with it, so I guess athletes can have a problem with if they invest too much time into it. And as this article says, it's an addiction that requires medical help.

https://en.as.com/en/2018/11/16/soccer/1542373463_644859.html

The upshot is that Dembélé is on his own in Barcelona, except for a troop of pals who spend hours and hours alongside him in marathon videogames sessions. This at least means that he is not out sampling the city's nightlife every day, but it is a state of affairs that is nonetheless problematic in its own way. Indeed, an obsession with computer games ('gaming disorder') is among the World Health Organization's list of addictions requiring professional treatment.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,241

Post#35 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:03 pm

I guess it can be, just like how eating candy can be bad, but it doesnt necessarily correlate to being detrimental to the average athlete. Basically, if your player(s) main concern is gaming too much, you take that 100% of the time as a coach/GM/franchise.
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,646

Post#36 » by Phystic » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:08 pm

Booker was streaming on twitch during COVID peak, and he's also know to have a great work ethic. So no I don't think there is any correlation. Though clearly DA has shown there's an issue there
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#37 » by -Sammy- » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:59 pm

ghillphx wrote:
-Sammy- wrote:

Its definitely "better" than drugs and gambling. No question.

I know which order I'd put them in for personal enjoyment. But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks and such.
ghillphx
Junior

Post#38 » by ghillphx » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:01 pm

Phystic wrote:Booker was streaming on twitch during COVID peak, and he's also know to have a great work ethic. So no I don't think there is any correlation. Though clearly DA has shown there's an issue there

Not sure DA has an issue. DA's issue isn't practice or talent, it's his motor... which I highly doubt is bc of his gaming. I doubt the two are coorelated. Anyone who watches him knows that he doesn't lack "talent", it's simply drive. Lacking skills or talent would have more to do with gaming and lack of practicing. Again, as fans, here we are overanalyzing a silly thing to which you'll never know the full answer.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,286

Post#39 » by TheHartBreakKid » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:04 pm

Like everything else, too much of it can be a bad thing, but I don't see anything wrong with it if it's not taking away from practice/development time. As others have said, better gaming than partying.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#40 » by Xatticus » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:30 pm

It was definitely bad for Meyers Leonard.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991

Return to The General Board