Why Doesn’t anybody Buy Jokic Jerseys?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,117

Re: Why Doesn’t anybody Buy Jokic Jerseys? 

Post#61 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:43 pm

ShazamDaShiznt wrote:

One of the funniest videos in the whole internet... the echo in that "faaaaaaaat" moment cracks me up every time
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,039

Post#62 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:48 pm

jokic doesnt market himself, why it would it be surprising he doesnt have a market for his jerseys. Totally on brand.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,868

Post#63 » by LakersLegacy » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:08 pm

Because He’s like Timmy’s personality without Timmy’s championships
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,978

Post#64 » by Capn'O » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:28 pm

TheShow2021 wrote:Fans like to live vicariously through their favorite player, imagine themselves as that person, and nobody wants to be the big ugly, boring (personality) guy, no matter how skilled and dominant he is.

See, I see Jokic as a "if he can do it, so can you!" sort of inspirational player. But he definitely is more of a purist's star than one that gets a lot of casual fan attention.

Also, he hasn't won yet so hasn't gotten a lot of Big Stage attention.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,002

Post#65 » by jokeboy86 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:50 pm

He's basically even less marketable than Duncan was. Duncan at least had the college hype, was the #1 overall pick and then was drafted on a team and got to play with Robinson who was a known star. Nike even tried marketing Duncan at one point and gave him a shoe when he was signed to them. Jokic was a European, basically unheralded 2nd round pick who's an unathletic big man who plays for Denver. I don't even know what shoe company he's signed to. If he starts winning titles I guarantee we start hearing media say it's boring and not good for the league similar to the Duncan Spurs/Pistons era.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,117

Post#66 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:56 pm

AleksandarN wrote:Hussien is so funny creates two threads about JT(celtics) and Jokic. What's next? Thread about Mavs and Luka lol. Never change

At least he stopped creating 3 weekly threads about Embiid...
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,355

Post#67 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:17 pm

TheShow2021 wrote:Fans like to live vicariously through their favorite player, imagine themselves as that person, and nobody wants to be the big ugly, boring (personality) guy, no matter how skilled and dominant he is.

This makes me want to get a Jokic jersey just cuz, but yeah, I feel like I'm too old to where jerseys, which might be part of the issue with those who appreciate Jokic.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Pistol_Pete
Senior
And1: 482

Post#68 » by Pistol_Pete » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:31 pm

Jokic probably wouldn’t want you to buy his jersey. Different character, doesn’t need/want fame or the spotlight.
:(
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#69 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:38 pm

Tempe wrote:He’s incredibly boring both on and off the court and his personality does not match well with Americans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s too many words for “I don’t watch basketball”
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#70 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:45 pm

It'd be way too big for me.

(Thanks, I'll be here all week. Try the veal.)

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#71 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:47 pm

Truthfully, humility doesn't resonate with American sports fans, or Americans in general.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
dooki667
Junior
And1: 253

Post#72 » by dooki667 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:48 pm

hippesthippo wrote:Basketball jerseys look stupid and feel cheap. Just my opinion.

Meanwhile, I still have my Buffalo Sabres and Florida Panthers jersey's from the 90's because they never go out of style and the quality is 10x that of a current NBA Jersey.

Why hockey jersey's? I was the best damn mini-stick player in the school (maybe the country).

Sgt Major wrote:Serbs do not buy jerseys. In European ultras culture, wearing jerseys to games is considered something that only casual fans do, so fans are buying clothing made by their ultras groups and not jerseys and shirts from official shops of the teams. Hence, when fans are not even buying jerseys of their home teams, it is unlikely that they will ever buy jerseys of the team Jokic is playing for.

Now regarding the US market, he's obviously not that attractive to non-Nuggets fans, so I don't find this surprising at all, given the fact that Denver is a small market.

What is "European ultras culture"?

I got a couple Rangers jerseys quality is great but there so friggin hot I can't wear em
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,490

Post#73 » by The Laker Kid » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:51 pm

Send him to the Lakers and people will form a line so long it will circle the globe just to buy his jersey. It's just one of those things we have no control of. Maybe people don't like the Nuggets' logo? Color? Who knows.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
SomeBunghole
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,489

Post#74 » by SomeBunghole » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:55 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:So instead of financially supporting your team, Serbian fans rather support ultras? Sounds kinda dumb to me.

So financially supporting an organization that you're a part of and have a say in is dumber than giving your money to crooked millionaires who don't care if you die as long as you buy their product?
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,725

Post#75 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:58 pm

I have 4 kids, ages 11 to 22. They have asked for Giannis, Curry, Kobe, AD, Embiid, KD jerseys…but never Jokic. I don’t think it’s a foreign thing because Giannis and Embiid are foreign. I think that people find him boring.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#76 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:02 pm

The players apparently hated them, but it made me sad when the short sleeve jerseys came to an end. As a more... mature guy, I feel goofy wearing a real basketball jersey. But I'd totally wear the short sleeved ones. So I have the ones I have, and I'll keep wearing them until they fall apart.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#77 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:04 pm

Up-And-Coming wrote:I wish we could get a bigger list of the top jersey sales for each season. All of the lists I've seen only go to top 15 at most. I'd be curious to see just how far down the list Jokic is.

To answer the question, he just hasn't been as marketable. I'd suspect some more "cool" and popular players like the Knicks Derrick Rose or even Lonzo Ball jerseys to be surprisingly higher than expected even though Jokic is the superior player.

Rose sold a ton of merchandise in China with the Bulls jerseys, just because in those places Bulls stuff still sells like hotcakes. Being on the Knicks or Lakers is also huge overseas.
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,727

Post#78 » by MarcusBrody » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:08 pm

I think Jokic is one of the most fun players I've ever watched. I like his reticence to be in the spotlight outside the game. Overall, he's my favorite player right now.

But I'm a 39 year old professor/data nerd. I think Jokic particularly appeals to a group of fans who is really interested in what can be done basketball-wise that isn't just about insane athleticism (though I also like watching insane athleticism as much as the next guy). Kind of the "thinking man's basketball fan" to put it positively. And overall, we don't buy jerseys, we're 30+.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#79 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:11 pm

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:I have 4 kids, ages 11 to 22. They have asked for Giannis, Curry, Kobe, AD, Embiid, KD jerseys…but never Jokic. I don’t think it’s a foreign thing because Giannis and Embiid are foreign. I think that people find him boring.

I just think he is more of a purist type of guy. Obviously not social media and doesn't care about marketing, but he is also a basketball players, player. Kinda like at the time when 90's when Scarface was the rappers rapper. He had good success but wasn't huge (other examples) but all the top talents would claim him as being the guy. I'm also pretty sure Jokic hasn't lost a minute of sleep over this.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,243

Post#80 » by heezyo2o » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:11 pm

dygaction wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:Pretty sure he doesn’t even crack the top 15 players in jersey sales. He’s potentially a 3 time MVP and for some reason you would assume he would be more popular among the fans but this isn’t the case relative to the other top players. I can’t think of any legitimate reason why this is, even casuals know who Jokic is. Players like Lamelo Ball, Devin Booker, and Ja Morant all generate more Jersey sales, and two of them are in smaller markets than Denver. So what’s to give?

1. small market, 2. cannot relate (center not cool), 3. no city or ncaa fan base compared to Ball, Booker and Ja, 4. not a fully validated name yet (a Finals MVP will change everything)

all valid, but Giannis basically ticks all those boxes and had a top 5 jersey before getting to the finals.

Return to The General Board