Bucks lose Portis to MCL sprain....East outlook

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Rich Michmond
Sixth Man
And1: 2,971
Location: российско-немецкий кондоминиум под еврейским доверительным управлением

Re: Bucks lose Portis to MCL sprain....East outlook 

Post#21 » by Rich Michmond » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:00 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:They still have Ibaka?

Both parties agreed that he would be traded.
Gordon Haywood, Dwayne Wade, JJ Reddick, Derek Rose, Derrick Fisher, Lenny Wilkins, Kirk Heinrich, Oscar Robinson, DeMar DeRozen, Andre Iguadola, Pascal Siakim, Malcolm Brogdan
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,350

Post#22 » by rocketsfan100 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:06 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:Until I see Middleton back and playing at his usual level, I have the Bucks behind the Celtics, Cavs, Nets, and maybe the Sixers. I still think they can hang with any of these teams in a series, but it will be as a sloggy defensive grinding team that doesn't have enough offense on many nights. This injury might turn them into a bottom 5 offense (they're already bottom 10), and that's just not contender level.

Portis' importance shouldn't be discounted. He's been majorly productive and filling in for Middleton as one of the Bucks main scorers. 14 and 10 in under 30mpg. This offense is bad and this injury makes it worse.

Unless Ibaka or Middleton come back... this team doesn't have someone to fill that rotation spots. The healthy answers on the roster are Joe Ingles (don't exactly want to ramp his minutes up considering his recent injuries), or... Jordan Nwora? (unplayable defensively), Thanasis? I wouldn't mind seeing more Beauchamp but he's day-to-day with a wrist injury.

The Sixers are the second best team in the east currently. Infact they are the hottest team in the east. They are 18-3 in their last 21 games. I think Boston is the only better team
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,377

Post#23 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:16 pm

rocketsfan100 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Until I see Middleton back and playing at his usual level, I have the Bucks behind the Celtics, Cavs, Nets, and maybe the Sixers. I still think they can hang with any of these teams in a series, but it will be as a sloggy defensive grinding team that doesn't have enough offense on many nights. This injury might turn them into a bottom 5 offense (they're already bottom 10), and that's just not contender level.

Portis' importance shouldn't be discounted. He's been majorly productive and filling in for Middleton as one of the Bucks main scorers. 14 and 10 in under 30mpg. This offense is bad and this injury makes it worse.

Unless Ibaka or Middleton come back... this team doesn't have someone to fill that rotation spots. The healthy answers on the roster are Joe Ingles (don't exactly want to ramp his minutes up considering his recent injuries), or... Jordan Nwora? (unplayable defensively), Thanasis? I wouldn't mind seeing more Beauchamp but he's day-to-day with a wrist injury.

The Sixers are the second best team in the east currently. Infact they are the hottest team in the east. They are 18-3 in their last 21 games. I think Boston is the only better team

When I project contenders I try to do a little more than simply look at the current standings. Currently I like the Cavs and Nets slightly more than the Sixers (I still don't trust Harden or Doc) but I think all of these teams are legit contenders.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
PaulKellerman
Junior
And1: 618

Post#24 » by PaulKellerman » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:25 pm

It's a 2-3 weeks absence. Milwaukee will be fine in the short term but Horst will have to make a consolidation trade and bolster the backcourt since Jevon is volatile and Hill/Wes are old and brittle
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach

Post#25 » by rocketsfan100 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:36 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
rocketsfan100 wrote:

When I project contenders I try to do a little more than simply look at the current standings. Currently I like the Cavs and Nets slightly more than the Sixers (I still don't trust Harden or Doc) but I think all of these teams are legit contenders.

I don’t buy the Cavs hype. I think Embiid will tear them apart and they lack scoring/ shooting to go with the Sixers élite offense. The Sixers will have too much firepower. The nets with Durant is a different beast.
Badlands
Sixth Man
And1: 1,861

Post#26 » by Badlands » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:54 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
The Bucks are coasting off a Championship run from 3 years ago in which everyone in the East was injured and the competition was weaker. Its really not relevant anymore.

3 years? It's been 19 months.

The Portis loss will hurt, but it if it's only 2-3 weeks, we should be fine, particularly with Middleton back. Having Ingles healthy the last month has been a nice addition.

Trading for Crowder would probably help, but damn, I hate that guy. :lol:
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,397

Post#27 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:12 pm

Bucks should add Mirotic. I think he would like to be in a locker room with Bobby (he actually would be a great pickup but he obviously is not coming back especially to that situation)
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#28 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:14 pm

Badlands wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
The Bucks are coasting off a Championship run from 3 years ago in which everyone in the East was injured and the competition was weaker. Its really not relevant anymore.

The Portis loss will hurt, but it if it's only 2-3 weeks, we should be fine, particularly with Middleton back. Having Ingles healthy the last month has been a nice addition.

I meant 2 years :lol:

Yeah don't really care about the Portis injury. But I just don't think the Bucks are one of the favorites in the East.

I don't think they can beat the Celtics.
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by rocketsfan100 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:16 pm

Badlands wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Bro the Nets had they been healthy would have won that series in 5 or 6. Having said that injuries are part and parcel of Sports so that’s no excuse.

They led by 50 in game 2 and had game 3 but some crazy bad shooting by Harris and Kyrie getting injured kept them going up 3-0
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#30 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:17 pm

The High Cyde wrote:Look for them to make a trade, they kinda badly need one.

marcus morris is available!
Badlands
Sixth Man
And1: 1,861

Post#31 » by Badlands » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:18 pm

rocketsfan100 wrote:
Badlands wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Bro the Nets had they been healthy they would have won that series in 5 or 6. Having said that injuries are part and parcel of Sports so that’s no excuse.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with my post.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,504

Post#32 » by HardenGoat » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:27 pm

The only thing separating the top teams in the East will be health. I think that goes with the Celtics too but give them the edge.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,397

Post#33 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:33 pm

HardenGoat wrote:The only thing separating the top teams in the East will be health. I think that goes with the Celtics too but give them the edge.

Agreed but that is the story for the west too
ChumboChappati
Junior
And1: 248

Post#34 » by ChumboChappati » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:33 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:They still have Ibaka?

Time for them to mend relations with him
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,320

Post#35 » by The High Cyde » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:39 pm

nickhx2 wrote:
The High Cyde wrote:Look for them to make a trade, they kinda badly need one.

marcus morris is available!

Haha right? Who would you want in return?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#36 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:50 pm

the freedom from morris alone is enough!
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,627

Post#37 » by KingFox » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:17 am

Edrees wrote:As nearly every year, the NBA Champion will be decided by who is the most healthy between April to June. Well, of the top 5 or 6 teams in the league.

The last 3 seasons for sure, it's been ridiculous - especially once the pandemic hit. Bucks should make a move if they can
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#38 » by NetsWorld » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:43 am

bisme37 wrote:The Celtics are the team to beat in the East.

It's January and Smart having a sprained ankle and Brogdon's wife giving birth etc doesn't really change anything if we're thinking about the final standings and playoff picture.

I hope the Bucks get healthy though. They've had a really rough season for injuries. And KD with the Nets of course.

I concur but mind you, just as the Bucks were fortunate in 21, the Celtics caught a break by beating an incosistent and injury prone Nets team and a Bucks team which was missing Middleton. Nonetheless, there is no clear cut favorite in the East. Health will be everyone's best or worst teammate.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#39 » by Edrees » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:45 am

KingFox wrote:
Edrees wrote:As nearly every year, the NBA Champion will be decided by who is the most healthy between April to June. Well, of the top 5 or 6 teams in the league.

The last 3 seasons for sure, it's been ridiculous - especially once the pandemic hit. Bucks should make a move if they can

Last 4 seasons - Raptors vs Warriors too
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,627

Post#40 » by KingFox » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:12 am

Edrees wrote:
KingFox wrote:

Last 4 seasons - Raptors vs Warriors too

Damn i forgot about that one. Yeah, Warriors likely win that round but it would've been sick to see both teams healthy

Return to The General Board