Why Doesn’t anybody Buy Jokic Jerseys?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,683

Re: Why Doesn’t anybody Buy Jokic Jerseys? 

Post#81 » by Up-And-Coming » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:13 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:I wish we could get a bigger list of the top jersey sales for each season. All of the lists I've seen only go to top 15 at most. I'd be curious to see just how far down the list Jokic is.

To answer the question, he just hasn't been as marketable. I'd suspect some more "cool" and popular players like the Knicks Derrick Rose or even Lonzo Ball jerseys to be surprisingly higher than expected even though Jokic is the superior player.

Rose sold a ton of merchandise in China with the Bulls jerseys, just because in those places Bulls stuff still sells like hotcakes. Being on the Knicks or Lakers is also huge overseas.

Derrick Rose is still a widely popular player and even has been getting a good amount of All-Star votes despite barely playing :lol: I know a Knicks fan and he bought a Knicks Rose jersey over all the other players they have.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,393

Post#82 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:17 pm

MarcusBrody wrote:I think Jokic is one of the most fun players I've ever watched. I like his reticence to be in the spotlight outside the game. Overall, he's my favorite player right now.

But I'm a 39 year old professor/data nerd. I think Jokic particularly appeals to a group of fans who is really interested in what can be done basketball-wise that isn't just about insane athleticism (though I also like watching insane athleticism as much as the next guy). Kind of the "thinking man's basketball fan" to put it positively. And overall, we don't buy jerseys, we're 30+.

I might be an old man yelling at a cloud too but I am going to say that I think the majority of the Jersey buying demographic (mostly younger kids) don't know that West is the logo. Nothing wrong with that mind you and not hating on the younger generation at all, I was once them, but I think you nailed it. The demographic who love Jokic are not the ones that buy many jerseys. In that demo of Jokic fans I bet they are more likely to buy a hockey sweater or football jersey if they do buy anything. No one wants to see old exposed arms lol!!
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,175

Post#83 » by dygaction » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:18 pm

heezyo2o wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Hussien Fatal wrote:Pretty sure he doesn’t even crack the top 15 players in jersey sales. He’s potentially a 3 time MVP and for some reason you would assume he would be more popular among the fans but this isn’t the case relative to the other top players. I can’t think of any legitimate reason why this is, even casuals know who Jokic is. Players like Lamelo Ball, Devin Booker, and Ja Morant all generate more Jersey sales, and two of them are in smaller markets than Denver. So what’s to give?

1. small market, 2. cannot relate (center not cool), 3. no city or ncaa fan base compared to Ball, Booker and Ja, 4. not a fully validated name yet (a Finals MVP will change everything)

all valid, but Giannis basically ticks all those boxes and had a top 5 jersey before getting to the finals.

Giannis is jumpy and fast, used to play PG and SF, so easier to relate, my guess
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,774

Post#84 » by MarcusBrody » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:22 pm

I did once consider buying a Jokic jersey at the beginning of last year, but unfortunately NBA merchandisers lacked the foresight to sell Facundo Campazzo jerseys in children's sizes, so the visual joke I was planning with my 5 year old son didn't come off.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#85 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:23 pm

Up-And-Coming wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:I wish we could get a bigger list of the top jersey sales for each season. All of the lists I've seen only go to top 15 at most. I'd be curious to see just how far down the list Jokic is.

To answer the question, he just hasn't been as marketable. I'd suspect some more "cool" and popular players like the Knicks Derrick Rose or even Lonzo Ball jerseys to be surprisingly higher than expected even though Jokic is the superior player.

Rose sold a ton of merchandise in China with the Bulls jerseys, just because in those places Bulls stuff still sells like hotcakes. Being on the Knicks or Lakers is also huge overseas.

Derrick Rose is still a widely popular player and even has been getting a good amount of All-Star votes despite barely playing :lol: I know a Knicks fan and he bought a Knicks Rose jersey over all the other players they have.

I think Rose is still selling a decent amount of shoes too. Being a Chicago guy and a Bulls fan what happened almost 11 years ago just was heartbreaking. He was so much fun to watch. Still is but he was filling the void that Kobe was leaving at the time in that sense as LeBron was #1 at that point. Hard not to pull for the guy for some reason. Plus I get that for the Knicks, he is the biggest name (even if far from peak) since Melo to play there. As I said the NYK Jersey sells huge internationally too. My guess would be that the top 5 international teams are LAL, NYK, Celtics, Bulls and Rockets (lots of Yao jerseys were sold) pretty easily sure on the top 4 Rockets might or might not be. GSW has to be in the convo too I would assume. Pretty sure google could answer this easily lol
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,297

Post#86 » by Bornstellar » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:27 pm

When he said he wanted to be the Tim Duncan of Denver, he wasn't kidding. :lol: Dude is low-key as hell and doesn't get a lot of off-court attention. While his passing is otherworldly and super entertaining to most of us, I feel most casuals probably think "yeah his passing is nice but his game is boring AF besides that." Which is true in a way because his passing is incredible but that aside he is not flashy at all, just extremely methodical and effective at what he does.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#87 » by SK21209 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:29 pm

This is completely anecdotal, but I feel like I see less people wearing NBA jerseys around in general. Even when I do, they're older jerseys like Heat/Cavs LeBron, Steph, Kobe, Wade, Shaq, Jordan, etc. I don't see Tatum, Morant, Giannis, or other current star jerseys.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#88 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:33 pm

The Nikola Jokic Board
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,608

Post#89 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:38 pm

Like others have said, he's basically Tim Duncan. But that gets even more magnified because of social media. Is there a bigger athlete in any sport that doesnt have any social media? That is huge, especially when you consider the amount of people who basically live their lives through social media nowadays.

So ya thats massive. Just like with shoes, its tougher for legit big men to sell this stuff. People like the highlights and stuff that perimeter players provide and they tend to buy shoes and jerseys along those lines as well.

He also does very little US media. Like I posted in a different thread of JJ Redick talking about telling Jokic he would love to have him on any time, even though he knows he wont. Jokic's reply was legit "your right I wont." Outside of press conferences and on court after game interviews, he does no media. Then also throw in he has zero TMZ/tabloid reach as well. What I mean by that is he doesnt live in LA or NY and isnt seen going out hanging with other celebrities. He isnt dating famous celebrities and so on.

He is legit when he says he cares nothing about the fame and stuff with being a NBA player. That dude just wants to be with his wife and his horses. That dont sell in today's social media/TMZ era.
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,151

Post#90 » by Sgt Major » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=wb4ryW__otXCwVnR8jhVFw&s=19

Not funny, they said

Sent from Asus Zenfone 9
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#91 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:48 pm

SK21209 wrote:This is completely anecdotal, but I feel like I see less people wearing NBA jerseys around in general. Even when I do, they're older jerseys like Heat/Cavs LeBron, Steph, Kobe, Wade, Shaq, Jordan, etc. I don't see Tatum, Morant, Giannis, or other current star jerseys.

Kinda agree with that. I think I see more retro Jordan Jersey's in Chicago than anything which is obvious, but just because of longevity of players staying with teams. I would say even in this town I would see more Kobe Bird jerseys than I would see a Lavine jersey. Way more Rose than any current bull. The off brand fan favorite guys actually do pretty well... Alex Caruso was sold out last year like that and always saw it at game. I would bet in OKC there are still a ton of Westbrook jerseys still at the games over say SGA just because of the longevity of his stay there. All speculation but I think the long term guys/retro jerseys will always sell or at least be worn for years. I don't buy them but I would likely have something like a Magic, Bird, Jordan, Pippen (from chicago of course) collection. I would likely buy maybe a Big O/West retro or maybe a Bill Russell jersey maybe more than the above listed because I like the history. Since I am sarcastic but love the NBA I think I would absolutely buy a Mikan retro (I loathe Joliet his home town) just because who rocks that? a Minny Lakers Mikan? c'mon. Everyone had a Jordan knockoff jersey in my youth... ( Who has Mikan?
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#92 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:55 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Like others have said, he's basically Tim Duncan. But that gets even more magnified because of social media. Is there a bigger athlete in any sport that doesnt have any social media? That is huge, especially when you consider the amount of people who basically live their lives through social media nowadays.

So ya thats massive. Just like with shoes, its tougher for legit big men to sell this stuff. People like the highlights and stuff that perimeter players provide and they tend to buy shoes and jerseys along those lines as well.

He also does very little US media. Like I posted in a different thread of JJ Redick talking about telling Jokic he would love to have him on any time, even though he knows he wont. Jokic's reply was legit "your right I wont." Outside of press conferences and on court after game interviews, he does no media. Then also throw in he has zero TMZ/tabloid reach as well. What I mean by that is he doesnt live in LA or NY and isnt seen going out hanging with other celebrities. He isnt dating famous celebrities and so on.

He is legit when he says he cares nothing about the fame and stuff with being a NBA player. That dude just wants to be with his wife and his horses. That dont sell in today's social media/TMZ era.

Which Bigmen sold a lot of Jerseys? I think Shaq likely has to lead it and Hakeem and Clearly I think Ewing is maybe #1. As far as shoes... that craze came a little be after but Shaq has to lead the sales on that and it is a pittance of what Jordan sold of course but still minuscule compared to what Kobe sold too. I bet Marbury sold a ton more shoes than Shaq. If we go and do the numbers Dee Brown likely sold more reeboks than Shaq did all considered just for the blind dunk. That was marketing genius. of "Bigmen" I would think that maybe KG sold the most signature shoes? Just hard to market bigmen to the 5'7" dude but they can imagine they are AI or MJ when they see them on court. That being said... no one bought Earl Boykin's shoes who most people were taller than... (don't think he had shoes just making a point and almost everyone here is taller than him I would imagine)
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,608

Post#93 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:03 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Like others have said, he's basically Tim Duncan. But that gets even more magnified because of social media. Is there a bigger athlete in any sport that doesnt have any social media? That is huge, especially when you consider the amount of people who basically live their lives through social media nowadays.

Which Bigmen sold a lot of Jerseys? I think Shaq likely has to lead it and Hakeem and Clearly I think Ewing is maybe #1. As far as shoes... that craze came a little be after but Shaq has to lead the sales on that and it is a pittance of what Jordan sold of course but still minuscule compared to what Kobe sold too. I bet Marbury sold a ton more shoes than Shaq. If we go and do the numbers Dee Brown likely sold more reeboks than Shaq did all considered just for the blind dunk. That was marketing genius. of "Bigmen" I would think that maybe KG sold the most signature shoes? Just hard to market bigmen to the 5'7" dude but they can imagine they are AI or MJ when they see them on court. That being said... no one bought Earl Boykin's shoes who most people were taller than... (don't think he had shoes just making a point and almost everyone here is taller than him I would imagine)

Ya I wouldnt be shocked if Shaq topped the list, but again Shaq was just different. His personality transcended the sport. But ya even then, I dont think Shaq's shoes ever were a popular thing haha.

And we can just look at this top jersey list even not focusing on Jokic. Embiid is a top 5 player, he plays for a big market, he has a big personality and has a solid social media following (6 mil on instagram). Even with all of that, he is only 9th in jersey sales.

So ya big men in general tend to have an uphill battle when it comes to this. And when you combine that with Jokic going out of his way to not care about this stuff, ya he aint going to ever show up on these kinds of lists haha.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#94 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:20 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Ya I wouldnt be shocked if Shaq topped the list, but again Shaq was just different. His personality transcended the sport. But ya even then, I dont think Shaq's shoes ever were a popular thing haha.

And we can just look at this top jersey list even not focusing on Jokic. Embiid is a top 5 player, he plays for a big market, he has a big personality and has a solid social media following (6 mil on instagram). Even with all of that, he is only 9th in jersey sales.

So ya big men in general tend to have an uphill battle when it comes to this. And when you combine that with Jokic going out of his way to not care about this stuff, ya he aint going to ever show up on these kinds of lists haha.

Shaq was also right place right time right after Jordan changed the sneaker game. Easier to relate to a guy who looks "normal" height and size on TV or even live (say MJ( compared to the giant that Shaq , Ewing or Embiid are who just look huge. Lebron is strange in that regard so is Giannis just because they don't look as outrageously huge as they actually are. I think it is their mobility?
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#95 » by CS707 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:49 pm

I'm sure it's been mentioned already in the last 5 pages but actual basketball fans only make up a portion of jersey sales. The rest of the people purchase based on some mixture of name recognition, locality, and just how aesthetically pleasing the jersey is to them. Jokic scores kinda low on all three scales.
Blacksheep25
Rookie
And1: 1,310

Post#96 » by Blacksheep25 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:54 pm

Jokic’s game and personality appeals to adults who respect his game and that he isn’t attention-seeking. No normal adult is buying an NBA jersey once they’re older than the player.

I find Jokic interesting and unique and his game is amazing, while I find the majority of NBA players cycling through one of the Kardashians or other fat instagram models and wanting to launch a rap career as just some simple guy who won the genetic lottery and would otherwise be washing your car if he wasn’t elite at sports.

When I see someone over a certain age wearing a players jersey, I form an instant opinion about them that proves right about 98% of the time. I can understand why he wouldn’t appeal to kids, as kids don’t value much of substance. I didn’t either when I was their age.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,510

Post#97 » by SFour » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:12 am

It's definitely interesting that a potential 3-time NBA MVP isn't even in the top 15 selling jerseys....I was surprised when I saw that, but at the same time it's not surprising, if that makes sense.

Jokic doesn't appeal to the younger generation.....then you have Doncic who's at #4 and does appeal to the younger kids....it's interesting.

Even though Jokic could be a 3-time MVP, we all know the NBA would much rather pick Doncic as one of the faces of the league if they had to make a choice between the 2.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#98 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:40 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
hoosierdaddy34 wrote:I have 4 kids, ages 11 to 22. They have asked for Giannis, Curry, Kobe, AD, Embiid, KD jerseys…but never Jokic. I don’t think it’s a foreign thing because Giannis and Embiid are foreign. I think that people find him boring.

I just think he is more of a purist type of guy. Obviously not social media and doesn't care about marketing, but he is also a basketball players, player. Kinda like at the time when 90's when Scarface was the rappers rapper. He had good success but wasn't huge (other examples) but all the top talents would claim him as being the guy. I'm also pretty sure Jokic hasn't lost a minute of sleep over this.

My oldest is a D2 college big man who was born in Colorado. If anyone would appreciate his game, it would be him. But he’s only been about Kobe and KD. And a little bit Embiid.
dickfox
Senior
And1: 522

Post#99 » by dickfox » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:45 am

The Nuggets jersey kind of suck (other than the rainbow city line). Also I am just guessing but maybe fans don't want a shirt that says NUGGETS on the front. I am not one of these people as I think they name is great and hilarious.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,166

Post#100 » by Pelon chingon » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:45 am

I dont see people wearing NBA jerseys like back in the day much anymore.

Return to The General Board