ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Re: OKC Thunder 2022-23 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#861 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:39 pm

Devilanche wrote:
QPR wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:SGA/Giddey bad fit narrative didn't last...we just need Giddey to play well and they will make it work.

Will definitely hold my hands up and say I didn't see Giddey becoming a reliable shooter/scorer this quickly, which is what needed to happen to make the pairing work. But you're right, talent generally trumps anything else. The kid is a sponge though so I shouldn't be surprised.

Josh is averaging 19.3ppg in January on 54% shooting, on around 17 attempts.

I think nobody had giddey becoming this decent shooting wise this fast.

Realistically he's going to come back to earth soon, perhaps more so than we care to realize. However I think it's pretty clear that he's improved since last year and we have basis to believe he could be even better next year.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,544

Post#862 » by Devilanche » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:44 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
QPR wrote:
Will definitely hold my hands up and say I didn't see Giddey becoming a reliable shooter/scorer this quickly, which is what needed to happen to make the pairing work. But you're right, talent generally trumps anything else. The kid is a sponge though so I shouldn't be surprised.

Josh is averaging 19.3ppg in January on 54% shooting, on around 17 attempts.

I think nobody had giddey becoming this decent shooting wise this fast.

Realistically he's going to come back to earth soon, perhaps more so than we care to realize. However I think it's pretty clear that he's improved since last year and we have basis to believe he could be even better next year.

He’s probably on either a hot streak or a very hot streak but there’s clear improvement in his shot from last season.

So long as the team can shoot better , it will open up the floor for everyone .

We do need another Isaiah Joe though , so we can have 1 on the floor at all time .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,106

Post#863 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:36 am

The way we are passing the ball...a beauty to watch. Our coaching staff is so underrated.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#864 » by jake_swivel » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:38 am

Trae young is so wildly unlikable that he grew up a couple miles from me and I still can’t stand him.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#865 » by jake_swivel » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:38 am

Dadouv47 wrote:The way we are passing the ball...a beauty to watch. Our coaching staff is so underrated.

We are a very, very fun team on both sides of the ball.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#866 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:06 am

Shai could score 60 if he wants.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#867 » by jake_swivel » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:19 am

First time in awhile that the Thunder’s lack of size has felt like a problem. Collins and capella are giving them problems on the boards and at the rim.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#868 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:52 am

I know he's yound and talented but Dieng is our tank commander right now.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#869 » by jake_swivel » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:58 am

More joe and Wiggins. Less Mann.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#870 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:07 am

jake_swivel wrote:More joe and Wiggins. Less Mann.

Wiggins is the most underrated Thunder player. He deserves to play a lot more.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#871 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:17 am

That was fun but I'm pissed..JDub deserved that win. Best game of his career so far...his energy is contagious
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#872 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:31 am

jake_swivel wrote:More joe and Wiggins. Less Mann.

As far as I’m concerned, Mann can earn future minutes by practice performances. He doesn’t deserve rotation minutes anymore.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#873 » by slick_watts » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:03 pm

for most of the game, lu dort and the 'big' (kenrich williams) were switching the trae young pnr. what's the point of even having a player like lu dort in the game if you're going to switch? after we did these switches is when we'd get murdered in the paint either directly in the roll or off 2nd chance points because dort / whoever switched on the backside (not k. williams) were severely disadvantaged.

a couple possessions later in the game dort went under / through the screens and the defense was better, although trae young did score on him a couple times including and and-1 where he appeared to muscle his way into the paint.

i'm more or less done with lu dort. giddey in year 2 has already matched his scoring efficiency. and i think his impact defensively is not the same as it was before, and will be even less important once chet returns. giddey/sga/j.williams seem like the wings the team will prioritize moving forward, and dort will be the jeff green casualty.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#874 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:09 pm

I thought JDub ceiling was a very good 4th option on a contender but if he can develop a decent 3pt shot, he could be more than that.

I like the way Coach D is making in game decisions. Mann was playing well during some minutes before he took a stupid deep 3 and he was benched a bit later and didn't play after that if I'm not mistaken. Wiggins was very good and earned the right to play most of the 4th quarter. Just don't get why we are still playing Bazley though.

Poku kind of lost his job because of his injury...wonder how they will manage minutes once him and JRE comes back.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#875 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:14 pm

slick_watts wrote:for most of the game, lu dort and the 'big' (kenrich williams) were switching the trae young pnr. what's the point of even having a player like lu dort in the game if you're going to switch? after we did these switches is when we'd get murdered in the paint either directly in the roll or off 2nd chance points because dort / whoever switched on the backside (not k. williams) were severely disadvantaged.

a couple possessions later in the game dort went under / through the screens and the defense was better, although trae young did score on him a couple times including and and-1 where he appeared to muscle his way into the paint.

i'm more or less done with lu dort. giddey in year 2 has already matched his scoring efficiency. and i think his impact defensively is not the same as it was before, and will be even less important once chet returns. giddey/sga/j.williams seem like the wings the team will prioritize moving forward, and dort will be the jeff green casualty.

Presti gotta be smart with Dort because of his friendship with SGA. Looks like Shai's relationship with JDub and Giddey is growing (both on and off the floor) and once our team is good enough, it would be easier to move Dort and make it ok for Shai. It shouldn't be this way but you gotta make your franchise player happy, even more in a small market team that is struggling to compete.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#876 » by slick_watts » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:18 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:for most of the game, lu dort and the 'big' (kenrich williams) were switching the trae young pnr. what's the point of even having a player like lu dort in the game if you're going to switch? after we did these switches is when we'd get murdered in the paint either directly in the roll or off 2nd chance points because dort / whoever switched on the backside (not k. williams) were severely disadvantaged.

Presti gotta be smart with Dort because of his friendship with SGA. Looks like Shai's relationship with JDub and Giddey is growing (both on and off the floor) and once our team is good enough, it would be easier to move Dort and make it ok for Shai. It shouldn't be this way but you gotta make your franchise player happy, even more in a small market team that is struggling to compete.

i don't think presti will care at all about this as a team composition factor.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#877 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:34 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:

I think keeping Shai happiest will be by maximizing the roster so that we can win. Dort's contract is prohibitive towards doing that with the way he's playing.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#878 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:39 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

I think keeping Shai happiest will be by maximizing the roster so that we can win. Dort's contract is prohibitive towards doing that with the way he's playing.

His contract gonna be an issue in 2-3 seasons, not right now. I would love to trade Dort ASAP but I think Presti will wait at least another season.
Big nick
Junior
And1: 315

Post#879 » by Big nick » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:05 pm

I agree we probably need to trade Dort I was high on him but he has reached his ceiling. Mann also needs traded I like Wiggins who is a much better player that's not getting enough playing time.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#880 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:34 pm

Spoiler:
Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

His contract gonna be an issue in 2-3 seasons, not right now. I would love to trade Dort ASAP but I think Presti will wait at least another season.

There is the financial aspect of this but also the roster construction aspect. We might be able to afford Dort for 2-3 seasons but improving the roster alongside Shai needs to start now.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder