Value Check: Beal, Brown and Ingram

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Value Check: Beal, Brown and Ingram 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:43 pm

ABC = ?

Brandon Ingram + ABC for Jaylen Brown

XYZ = ?

Bradley Beal + XYZ for Brandon Ingram

===
Beal and Tatum are close friends while Brown seems unhappy with Boston.

So in a 3 team deal...

Beal, ABC + XYZ to Boston
Brown to NOP
Ingram and Gallinari (for cap purposes) to Washington
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: Value Check: Beal, Brown and Ingram 

Post#2 » by Topofthekey » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:51 pm

Cut Pelicans out and make it a straight swap between Celtics and Wizards
NYG
RealGM

Post#3 » by NYG » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:55 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Cut Pelicans out and make it a straight swap between Celtics and Wizards

Wiz don't have picks
Jellybeans
Starter
And1: 2,341

Post#4 » by Jellybeans » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:07 pm

NYG wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Cut Pelicans out and make it a straight swap between Celtics and Wizards

Wiz don't have picks

Dont they have if they miss play offs?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,815

Post#5 » by Colbinii » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:44 pm

I have Brown > Beal > Ingram fairly fluidly
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#6 » by giberish » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:03 pm

Ingram's regression this year has his value down. Probably around Beal (give or take).

Brown looks quite a bit higher than either, though if Boston is certain that he's leaving as a FA (IMO this is very unlikely) in 2024 than that would reduce the gap.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,291

Post#7 » by babyjax13 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:45 pm

Ingram + 3 1sts = Brown
Beal + 2 1sts = Ingram
Beal = expiring $ + 1 1st (might get 2)

That would be about my guess, not that the respective teams would accept these deals for their guys, but I think this is around the value they have.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Topofthekey » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:41 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Ingram + 3 1sts = Brown
Beal + 2 1sts = Ingram

That would be about my guess, not that the respective teams would accept these deals for their guys, but I think this is around the value they have.

I don't think Brown is worth 5 FRP more than Beal, given that he is going to be an expiring

Especially when you also consider that he seems to want out from his team
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#9 » by babyjax13 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:48 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Beal + 2 1sts = Ingram

I don't think Brown is worth 5 FRP more than Beal, given that he is going to be an expiring

I imagine if he gets traded he also gets extended, but if he won't extend, absolutely he's not.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#10 » by zimpy27 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:25 pm

Ingram = Brown = Beal+2xFRP

Ingram and Brown are similar price but Ingram is locked up for 3 years and Brown for 1 year.
Beal needs 2xFRPs added to be worth Ingram or Brown because of salary per season and age difference.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
NYG
RealGM

Post#11 » by NYG » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:29 am

zimpy27 wrote:Ingram = Brown = Beal+2xFRP

Ingram and Brown are similar price but Ingram is locked up for 3 years and Brown for 1 year.
Beal needs 2xFRPs added to be worth Ingram or Brown because of salary per season and age difference.

BuddyBuckets wrote:
NYG wrote:
BuddyBuckets wrote:
Yea I hear ya. But you never know, there may be pressure to put a healthier roster on the floor and find a star that can win games when Zion is inevitably injured. Might want to package Ingram with the (likely) lotto pick' and maybe even Jonas to make a big move for an All Star PG or C.

I'm liking the idea of Herb and Trey being the SFs' more and more. Don't get me wrong a really love Ingram's game but I just struggle to see how the fit with Zion is ever gonna really work. Especially if they both miss half the season every year haha

What would you add in an Ingram for Brown deal?

Hmmmm, I like Brown so I'd be happy to part with Ingram and the Pels lotto pick for sure, assuming the pick lands outside the top 8. But in sure some would say another future first is needed from the Pels

Beal, 7 and 9 to Boston
Brown to New Orleans
Ingram to Washington
giberish
RealGM

Post#12 » by giberish » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:40 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Beal + 2 1sts = Ingram

I imagine if he gets traded he also gets extended, but if he won't extend, absolutely he's not.

Unless he's traded to a team with cap space, there's no chance that he gets extended as he'd give up a lot of money compared to playing out next season to become a FA. He certainly could give verbal assurances that he'd sign a 30% max contract with his new team but that wouldn't be binding.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#13 » by zimpy27 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:15 am

NYG wrote:

BuddyBuckets wrote:
NYG wrote:
What would you add in an Ingram for Brown deal?

Hmmmm, I like Brown so I'd be happy to part with Ingram and the Pels lotto pick for sure, assuming the pick lands outside the top 8. But in sure some would say another future first is needed from the Pels

Beal, 7 and 9 to Boston
Brown to New Orleans
Ingram to Washington

Yeah I just realized Ingram only has 2 years and is doing a bit worse than I thought.

Still, I think Brown and Ingram are similar in value. I'd probably have Ingram plus future FRP as the deal.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Topofthekey » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:58 am

giberish wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:I don't think Brown is worth 5 FRP more than Beal, given that he is going to be an expiring

Unless he's traded to a team with cap space, there's no chance that he gets extended as he'd give up a lot of money compared to playing out next season to become a FA. He certainly could give verbal assurances that he'd sign a 30% max contract with his new team but that wouldn't be binding.

Doesn't he become BYC and basically untradable if he signs an extension?

Meaning the extension will have to happen after he's traded to his new team?

But he can probably make more as a FA, so the chances of him signing an extension is likely on the low side

Not sure he has that much trade value over Beal really, given the circumstances
giberish
RealGM

Post#15 » by giberish » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:11 am

Topofthekey wrote:
giberish wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I imagine if he gets traded he also gets extended, but if he won't extend, absolutely he's not.

But he can probably make more as a FA, so the chances of him signing an extension is likely on the low side

Any extension would be limited to a % increase (I'm not sure what) off of his current deal. As his current deal is (relatively) small he wouldn't get as much as the full 30% max deal he can (and almost certainly will) get as a UFA in 2024. This is true whether or not he signs an extension with Boston or elsewhere and is why I'd be shocked if he did sign an extension. The only exception is if his team has cap space next season (which is very unlikely for any team trading for him), at which point they can offer him an immediate raise in next year's salary and an extension off of that higher number.

Yes I believe that signing an extension would have a 6 month trade restriction or something like that but IMO it's moot as he won't sign an extension for obvious financial reasons.
NYG
RealGM

Post#16 » by NYG » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:00 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
NYG wrote:

BuddyBuckets wrote:

Beal, 7 and 9 to Boston
Brown to New Orleans
Ingram to Washington

Yeah I just realized Ingram only has 2 years and is doing a bit worse than I thought.

Still, I think Brown and Ingram are similar in value. I'd probably have Ingram plus future FRP as the deal.

I kind of like Ingram and 9 for Brown then Beal and 7 for Ingram and Gallo.

That kind of fits for all 3 teams
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#17 » by babyjax13 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:36 pm

The new CBA will be changing the extension rules, so we will see what that does. But it is probably correct that his contract is going to reduce his value more than I was accounting for.

JColl
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Topofthekey » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:51 pm

giberish wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
giberish wrote:

Any extension would be limited to a % increase (I'm not sure what) off of his current deal. As his current deal is (relatively) small he wouldn't get as much as the full 30% max deal he can (and almost certainly will) get as a UFA in 2024. This is true whether or not he signs an extension with Boston or elsewhere and is why I'd be shocked if he did sign an extension. The only exception is if his team has cap space next season (which is very unlikely for any team trading for him), at which point they can offer him an immediate raise in next year's salary and an extension off of that higher number.

Yes I believe that signing an extension would have a 6 month trade restriction or something like that but IMO it's moot as he won't sign an extension for obvious financial reasons.

Correct. Basically similar to the renegotiate and extend scenario between Turner and Pacers

An extension is unlikely to be in play, in a trade involving Brown. I really don't think he has too much more trade value than Beal currently
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,910

Post#19 » by cgf » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:01 pm

I'm thinking I'd go: Brown > Beal > Ingram

I get the point about contracts, but this is the NBA. Just because you can't sign a new contract with Brown early doesn't mean you can't find out his intentions from his agent, and if he'll accept a max offer from the team that acquires him, his value won't be affected much by it. Things would change if Jaylen was actively veto'ing trades to teams he didn't want to re-sign with.

However, I can certainly see some teams preferring Beal because he's more proven as a #1 option and I do think he's right around the lower limit of a title-caliber #1...so a team that he would be a great fit for, could be more interested in pursuing him than Brown even though Brown should have more value in a vacuum.

Just as an example, I'd rather turn RJ into Brown and feel confident that we'd be able to re-sign Jaylen if we acquired him. But I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if our FO preferred Beal because he should be a better fit as the #1 option to Randle & Brunson for the next 3-4 years...especially if we picked up a bigger 3&D guy like DFS using Toppin + FRP.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Return to Trades and Transactions