ImageImageImageImageImage

Strongly believe RJs jumper is still adversely affected by his injury

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,878

Strongly believe RJs jumper is still adversely affected by his injury 

Post#1 » by KnixinSix » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:32 am

His 3 pt % ever since returning from that lacerated finger is atrocious. I think it is sub 30%. He was never a great shooter but he was showing strong signs approaching better efficiency on his jumper before the injury.

Even his lobs which were pretty good beforehand are now often terribly off.

However the 17 games prior to his injury from basically late Novemeber 11/27 vs Mem to the End of December He was shooting right around 45% on 3 and 48% overall. Best shooting stretch of his career by far. Excellent efficiency numbers for a shooting gaurd/small forward.

I have had a finger laceration before and even after it healed I didn't have full sensitivity back in my finger until months afterwards. I remember how weird it felt with the basketball coming off that finger as I shot and it definitely affected my overall shooting 'touch' . I highly suspect he is going through the same deal. I think he doesn't have full sensitivity in that finger yet and it's definitely affecting his jumper.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,037

Re: Strongly believe RJs jumper is still adversely affected by his injury 

Post#2 » by robillionaire » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:45 am

KnixinSix wrote:His 3 pt % ever since returning from that lacerated finger is atrocious. I think it is sub 30%. He was never a great shooter but he was showing strong signs approaching better efficiency on his jumper before the injury.

However the 17 games prior to his injury from basically late Novemeber 11/27 vs Mem to the End of December He was shooting right around 45% on 3 and 48% overall. Best shooting stretch of his career by far. Excellent efficiency numbers for a shooting gaurd/small forward.

I have had a finger laceration before and even after it healed I didn't have full sensitivity back in my finger until months afterwards. I remember how weird it felt with the basketball coming off that finger as I shot and it definitely affected my overall shooting 'touch' . I highly suspect he is going through the same deal. I think he doesn't have full sensitivity in that finger yet and it's definitely affecting his jumper.

Well it was his non-shooting hand if that matters
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,878

Post#3 » by KnixinSix » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:52 am

You are correct . Mine was different. However both hands are still on the when shooting, the non shooting hand serves as a guide hand on the basketball. Could be wrong, but not having the right sensitivity in that finger can still throw your feel off I would think.

Again its just a theory but the shooting is so off right now I think something else is at play here.

Fred Katz
@FredKatz
·
Follow
Spoke with RJ Barrett this morning in Toronto. RJ said Luka's hand isn't what caused his laceration. RJ's left hand knocked into his right one, which dislocated a finger in his right hand. When it dislocated, the bone cut through his hand. He got six stitches, which are still in.
11:52 AM · Jan 6, 2023
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#4 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:11 am

KnixinSix wrote:His 3 pt % ever since returning from that lacerated finger is atrocious. I think it is sub 30%. He was never a great shooter but he was showing strong signs approaching better efficiency on his jumper before the injury.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barrerj01.html

Look at the ft% stats. He is basically at his career best. FT is usually a good representation of 3 point and general shot mechanics.

Age 19 61.4%
age 20 74.6%
age 21 71.4%
age 22 74.5%

slasher, scorer, finisher sure... shooter certainly not.... yet.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,334

Post#5 » by Phish Tank » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:30 am

He'll start hitting 3s better once he gets into better shape this offseason.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,202

Post#6 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:46 am

If his shot isn't falling...drive and finish or find the open guy. Head up!! That's all he needs to do.
:beer: RIP mags
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#7 » by robillionaire » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:04 am

KnixinSix wrote:You are correct . Mine was different. However both hands are still on the when shooting, the non shooting hand serves as a guide hand on the basketball. Could be wrong, but not having the right sensitivity in that finger can still throw your feel off I would think.

Again its just a theory but the shooting is so off right now I think something else is at play here.

Fred Katz
@FredKatz
·
Follow
Spoke with RJ Barrett this morning in Toronto. RJ said Luka's hand isn't what caused his laceration. RJ's left hand knocked into his right one, which dislocated a finger in his right hand. When it dislocated, the bone cut through his hand. He got six stitches, which are still in.

Could be something to it. But then again he’s always been notorious for hot and cold streaks over the past 4 years
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#8 » by bearadonisdna » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:52 am

As far as on court injuries that sounds pretty gruesome . Not to mention the immediate mental ramifications , It’s seems like the type of injury that stays with a man
Separatista
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#9 » by Separatista » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:53 am

KnixinSix wrote:Follow

What the heck, that is some mortal kombat shite right there. My God :o
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,078

Post#10 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:36 am

robillionaire wrote:

Isn't that both hands ?
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,000

Post#11 » by Reign23 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:29 pm

3 pointer the only thing thats missing right now.
formerly known as knickst4pe
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#12 » by robillionaire » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:55 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

Isn't that both hands ?

Oh you :lol:
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,662

Post#13 » by nedleeds » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:31 pm

KnixinSix wrote:His 3 pt % ever since returning from that lacerated finger is atrocious. I think it is sub 30%.

He was a bottom worst 5 shooter who shot more than 15 shots last year before his wittle finger got cut. Can you point me to your post from back then when he couldn't hit water with an oar?

Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,071

Post#14 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:32 pm

If it was just his shooting then that would be less concerning but it's quite a bit more than just that.

Return to New York Knicks