The 2023 Draft watch thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: The 2023 Draft watch thread 

Post#121 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:25 am

Add French wing Rupert (the t is silent - rupair) to the if we make the playoffs watch list.

Nnaji could be a euro stash at the end of the first or top of second. Floor and Ceilings international YouTube also reviews Ndiaye who could be a stash at our second second.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#122 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:07 pm

round two and stash?

Read on Twitter
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#123 » by 8305 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:28 am

Just curious. Rate these players.
Jalen Smith
Isaiah Jackson
Trace Jackson Davis
Zack Edey
Since Smith and IJack appear capable of playing in the league would we say their floors are higher? But, I don’t think either appears to be more than a backup center. TJD is a more skilled ball handler and passer than either of the current Pacers. He’s not as explosive as IJax but, can protect the rim and maybe defend on the perimeter. Am I dreaming that Edey could have the Hughes’s upside?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#124 » by Wizop » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:39 am

8305 wrote:Just curious. Rate these players.
Jalen Smith
Isaiah Jackson
Trace Jackson Davis
Zack Edey
Since Smith and IJack appear capable of playing in the league would we say their floors are higher? But, I don’t think either appears to be more than a backup center. TJD is a more skilled ball handler and passer than either of the current Pacers. He’s not as explosive as IJax but, can protect the rim and maybe defend on the perimeter. Am I dreaming that Edey could have the Hughes’s upside?

Jalen is the only one with a 3 point shot. TJD never shoots outside the paint let alone from 3. Same for Edy. TJD could be the best defender but IU couldn't teach him to shoot - could Jenny? She did it with McConnell's 3.
Assistant Coach

Post#125 » by 8305 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:32 am

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:Just curious. Rate these players.
Jalen Smith
Isaiah Jackson
Trace Jackson Davis
Zack Edey

Jalen is the only one with a 3 point shot. TJD never shoots outside the paint let alone from 3. Same for Edy. TJD could be the best defender but IU couldn't teach him to shoot - could Jenny? She did it with McConnell's 3.

Yes, Jalen will take the 3 but, no one respects it. Until he becomes at least average he’s at best a sub.
Can we get away with a non-shooter at the 4? Cavs, Bucks and Celtics all either play big or at least have it in their bag. Do we at least need the option of playing big? If so, can a non-shooter bring enough in other areas to justify being on the floor? Our competition appears willing to use the non- shooter. Granted those non-shooters in the case Giannes, Williams and Allen are pretty exceptional at defense or play making. TJD’s rim protection, passing and handle is a pretty enticing skill set.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#126 » by Tom White » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:41 pm

8305 wrote:TJD’s rim protection, passing and handle is a pretty enticing skill set.

I hate to say this, I really do, but here goes.

I think Davis' rim protection will be negated by the better talent level in the NBA, while scoring against those same players will be very difficult for him. I don't have much faith in him developing his shooting, based primarily on his poor free-throw shooting. His passing is decent, but again, it will be tougher when the defensive talent level of the opponents is at NBA levels.

As to his handle? He only really handled the ball in the open court when the other team was playing passively as he brought it up court. He hasn't had to handle the ball on the court when the other team was pressing. I think the main benefit of his bringing the ball up at IU was in giving the guards a bit of a break, as our point guard depth was hurt by Xavier's injury. It may not sound like much, but him bringing the ball up a good number of times saved some energy for the guards.

As to Edey? His main talent is he is huge. That's about it, for him. Other than that? Not much.
Assistant Coach

Post#127 » by 8305 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:24 am

Tom White wrote:
8305 wrote:TJD’s rim protection, passing and handle is a pretty enticing skill set.

I hate to say this, I really do, but here goes.

I think Davis' rim protection will be negated by the better talent level in the NBA, while scoring against those same players will be very difficult for him. I don't have much faith in him developing his shooting, based primarily on his poor free-throw shooting. His passing is decent, but again, it will be tougher when the defensive talent level of the opponents is at NBA levels.

As to his handle? He only really handled the ball in the open court when the other team was playing passively as he brought it up court. He hasn't had to handle the ball on the court when the other team was pressing. I think the main benefit of his bringing the ball up at IU was in giving the guards a bit of a break, as our point guard depth was hurt by Xavier's injury. It may not sound like much, but him bringing the ball up a good number of times saved some energy for the guards.

As to Edey? His main talent is he is huge. That's about it, for him. Other than that? Not much.

I’ll be surprised if the rim protection doesn’t translate. I could see where he could struggle on the blocks against NBA talent. I expect his passing would be better than IJax or Smith.
My fascination for Edey projects continued improvement based on the short time he has been playing. By all accounts he’s a worker and competitor. A lot of bigs lack that.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#128 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#129 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:22 pm

Edey, to me, could maybe carve out a Boban like career as a high impact, but minute limited guy that could do some damage in 15 minutes or less a night as a change of pace type option at the 5.

TJD will have to adapt greatly. I do think his rim protection will help. However, in the nba, he’ll be matching up with quicker perimeter guys as more of a 4 size type guy. I think he has the foot speed/agility to do so at least decently well, and his ball handling late in the year bodes well for his nba future. But he’s definitely going to be a project, and if shot doesn’t stretch toward the perimeter, he’ll be destined for Europe.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#130 » by Wizop » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:35 pm

I'd be very surprised if the lottery makes Brandon Miller a possibility. Otherwise my list is focusing on Walker and Whitmore. Maybe Whitehead if we pick lower. I've gone from M's to W's.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#131 » by Tom White » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:45 pm

Wizop wrote:I'd be very surprised if the lottery makes Brandon Miller a possibility. Otherwise my list is focusing on Walker and Whitmore. Maybe Whitehead if we pick lower. I've gone from M's to W's.

I would still steer clear of Miller. Makes me very uneasy.

I know, I know, he has not been charged with anything. Some folks will point to that. Others will say, Where there's smoke there's fire.

I'll just say more people suffer from smoke inhalation than actually getting burnt. I don't want either problem.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#132 » by Wizop » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:05 pm

Tom White wrote:
I would still steer clear of Miller. Makes me very uneasy.

I get that but I don't know that we have enough of the story to judge whether he's a kid with character issues or just a kid from the projects. What if we get pick #2? We don't need Scoot. Do you trade down when the draft gives you a top talent? You don't just cross your fingers. You have to do a lot of research.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#133 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:15 am

Miami killed IU. Now they play Houston. While I have residual Sampson hate from his IU suspension, I will want to see how Walker does on defense against Miami's athletes.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#134 » by Tom White » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:48 am

Wizop wrote:Miami killed IU.

I think we all knew this was going to happen. Almost embarrassing. I didn't even bother watching. For all the accolades some of the guys have received, it has just not been a very good or consistent team. It will be interesting to see how some of the guys develop next season.

While I have residual Sampson hate from his IU suspension

Ain't that the truth? It is like the man thought he was above the rules, or just didn't give a crap. I keep wondering how long it will be before he pulls another stunt, at Houston this time. That would make him three for three.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#135 » by Wizop » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:22 pm

Tom White wrote:It will be interesting to see how some of the [IU] guys develop next season.

It'll also be interesting to see who transfers in and who transfers out.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#136 » by Tom White » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:58 pm

Wizop wrote:
It'll also be interesting to see who transfers in and who transfers out.

Reneau, Banks and Bates are the ones I'll watch closely for improvement. I also wonder if X Johnson will get an additional year due to his injury.
Assistant Coach

Post#137 » by 8305 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:13 am

If the consensus of the mocks is correct JHS will come out. Hate to see it. He seems to me to be the poster child for coming back, improving and being a very high pick. Could see him being the best player in college next year.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#138 » by Wizop » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:38 pm

Here is a mock that has tankathon setting the order about as bad as possible for us. we get Gradey Dick with all the better choices gone.

Wizop
RealGM

Post#139 » by Wizop » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:57 pm

Here's a profile of someone who could be on the board at the Cav's pick.

Read on Twitter
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#140 » by Tom White » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:07 pm

[quote="Wizop"]Here is a mock that has tankathon setting the order about as bad as possible for us. we get Gradey Dick with all the better choices gone.

If this had been a few years ago, I would have said that picking a skinny 6'8" white kid from Kansas might be the most Pacers-like thing the team could do.

Return to Indiana Pacers