Shark\'s James Reimer To Boycott Warmup On Pride Night

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Shark\'s James Reimer To Boycott Warmup On Pride Night 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:58 pm

San Jose Sharks goaltender James Reimer will boycott the team\'s warmup skate before its home game against the New York Islanders on Saturday because his teammates will wear jerseys that support the LGBTQIA+ community.

As part of a weeklong series of events that the team says \"continue a long-standing commitment of allyship with the LGBTQIA+ community,\" San Jose players will wear special jerseys for Sharks Pride Night that are designed by Houyee Chow, a queer artist from San Jose. The jerseys, featuring a Pride crest and a \"Love Wins\" patch, will be auctioned off after the game for charity to raise funds for Adolescent Counseling Services.

Reimer said the Pride Night jerseys conflict with his Christian beliefs. He will be available to play in the game, according to coach David Quinn.

Via ESPN.com

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,288

Re: Shark\'s James Reimer To Boycott Warmup On Pride Night 

Post#2 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:40 am

Good for Reimer standing up for his personal beliefs. These displays have no place in sports.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,542

Post#3 » by Mak » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:19 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Good for Reimer standing up for his personal beliefs. These displays have no place in sports.

Right, shame on them for trying to support charities!
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,906

Post#4 » by LipSkinMatter » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:31 pm

He won points with me for doing what was right, but lost half of those points for using muh Christianity as his crutch.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Post#5 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:17 am

You know I remember a time when calling someone "Queer" was a bad thing. My mother, opps birthing person would have slapped the spit out of my mouth. :lol:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#6 » by dougthonus » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:03 am

WaltFrazier wrote:Good for Reimer standing up for his personal beliefs. These displays have no place in sports.

It's weird to me when people think "good for you" for promoting hatred and discrimination.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#7 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:20 pm

I think both viewpoints are allowable here, there is no grandstanding or threats by either side. Respectful disagreement is alright.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,827

Post#8 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:30 pm

I'll agree to disagree on pizza toppings and basketball players, not somebody's fundamental humanity
GreekAlex
Starter
And1: 1,246

Post#9 » by GreekAlex » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:15 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:I'll agree to disagree on pizza toppings and basketball players, not somebody's fundamental humanity

Believe it or not, you can disagree with “pride” celebrations without disagreeing on fundamental humanity :-D
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#10 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:20 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:I'll agree to disagree on pizza toppings and basketball players, not somebody's fundamental humanity

Believe it or not, you can disagree with “pride” celebrations without disagreeing on fundamental humanity :-D

What is there to disagree about? If you don't have a problem with St. Patrick's Day, Fourth of July or other demonstrations of personal/civic pride, there's zero difference to me. Being gay isn't a lifestyle or other arbitrary choice like what shoes you're going to wear on a given day. It's who you are.
GreekAlex
Starter

Post#11 » by GreekAlex » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:13 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

What is there to disagree about? If you don't have a problem with St. Patrick's Day, Fourth of July or other demonstrations of personal/civic pride, there's zero difference to me. Being gay isn't a lifestyle or other arbitrary choice like what shoes you're going to wear on a given day. It's who you are.

Have you seen a “pride” parade? :lol:

The predator rainbow seems to be a little more deviant than just supporting gay rights.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#12 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:23 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

The predator rainbow seems to be a little more deviant than just supporting gay rights.

Yeah, screw all the way off with this bigoted moral panic bullsht.
GreekAlex
Starter

Post#13 » by GreekAlex » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:45 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Yeah, screw all the way off with this bigoted moral panic bullsht.

Please enlighten me. I’m open to different views and I wanted to be clear that I have nothing against gay people but “pride” seems to encompass way more than homosexuality.
Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 513

Post#14 » by Spot31 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:31 am

Much respect for standing up for your beliefs in the face of adversity. God bless you.
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion