Senior
And1: 224

Re: Around the NBA: 2023-24 edition 

Post#481 » by JMaster5K » Mon May 6, 2024 1:13 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:
we were talking about Paul Reed.

Oh yeah,... Have liked his game since his draft. Plays as a legit big, shoots the 3 well, defends & rebounds really well. Plays really well in transition when given the chance. In terms of skills & style,... he would seem to be a great sorta all around fit behind Myles, Pascal, & Ob1.

What do you think it would take to get him?.... Maybe a sign & trade with Stix?.... o0

I think they’d only look to deal Paul if they need the cap space. They could just waive him with no guarantee until January, so they’d probably be looking to deal Paul into cap space/tpe/MLE with no salary coming back (so they can make their big signings), and get some draft compensation (2nd or two?) in return.

Oh Yeah! This is the first year that the TPE / MLE can be used in trades & not just for signings,.. isn't it?.....

Once again,... I genuflect to your imminent knowledge of all things CBA,.... LOL =}
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,856

Re: Around the NBA: 2022-23 edition 

Post#482 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 6, 2024 2:50 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Oh yeah,... Have liked his game since his draft. Plays as a legit big, shoots the 3 well, defends & rebounds really well. Plays really well in transition when given the chance. In terms of skills & style,... he would seem to be a great sorta all around fit behind Myles, Pascal, & Ob1.

What do you think it would take to get him?.... Maybe a sign & trade with Stix?.... o0

I think they’d only look to deal Paul if they need the cap space. They could just waive him with no guarantee until January, so they’d probably be looking to deal Paul into cap space/tpe/MLE with no salary coming back (so they can make their big signings), and get some draft compensation (2nd or two?) in return.

Oh Yeah! This is the first year that the TPE / MLE can be used in trades & not just for signings,.. isn't it?.....

TPE's always were eligible for absorbing a sign and trade, or existing player contract, but yup, this is the first year for MLE's being largely able to do the same.
Pacers Forever
Veteran
And1: 830

Post#483 » by Pacers Forever » Mon May 6, 2024 9:11 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

Once again,... I genuflect to your imminent knowledge of all things CBA,.... LOL =}

I always look to Scoot for cap knowledge in here. Tony East, Bobby Marks, and Sportracs on Twitter.

As for me I am not numbers and legalize savy :lol: I enjoy more the game action and thinking about the team makeup and player performances I see on the court.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 450

Post#484 » by Grang33r » Wed May 29, 2024 3:32 am

Minnesota stays alive. This has been a great series just like ours despite a 3-1 lead. Game 5 on Thursday.

NBA Finals schedule-

The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#485 » by Wizop » Wed May 29, 2024 12:50 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I always look to Scoot for cap knowledge in here. Tony East, Bobby Marks, and Sportracs on Twitter.

Tony East has acknowledged checking with Scoot just as we do.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#486 » by Grang33r » Thu May 30, 2024 4:18 am

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I always look to Scoot for cap knowledge in here. Tony East, Bobby Marks, and Sportracs on Twitter.

lol for real?
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#487 » by JMaster5K » Thu May 30, 2024 10:00 am

Grang33r wrote:
Wizop wrote:

lol for real?

We should trade for Scoot Henderson,... then they could start the 'Scoot & Scoot' podcast. I'd tune in.... LOL :lol: :D
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#488 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 30, 2024 1:08 pm

Grang33r wrote:
Wizop wrote:

lol for real?

Yeah, Tony’s a great dude who mostly exceeds me at this point, But he humors me sometimes and let’s me double check his math and cap work. :lol:
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#489 » by Grang33r » Sat Jun 1, 2024 4:34 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Grang33r wrote:
Wizop wrote:

lol for real?

Yeah, Tony’s a great dude who mostly exceeds me at this point, But he humors me sometimes and let’s me double check his math and cap work. :lol:

wow, thats incredible. Good work!
Pacers Forever
Veteran

Post#490 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Jun 4, 2024 8:36 pm

I saw an article or two about Paul George hoping that the Clippers and Pacers would retire his jersey. :o He says that if the Pacers do it he might get booed at the ceremony. :lol:

This is just another reason I don’t like the guy. :banghead:

Who talks about how great they think they are ??? Really man ?? :crazy: :evil:

Hopefully the Pacers are laughing at this and tell him he’s not worthy of being recognized alongside of our franchise’s best players :lol:
Tom White
Starter
And1: 973

Post#491 » by Tom White » Tue Jun 4, 2024 9:31 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I saw an article or two about Paul George hoping that the Clippers and Pacers would retire his jersey. :o He says that if the Pacers do it he might get booed at the ceremony. :lol:

Truly a legend in his own mind.

Maybe he thinks the Pacers will retire his jersey in honor of all his game winning shots. Hold on a second. He never had even one! He always impressed me as being just a giant a-hole.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#492 » by JMaster5K » Wed Jun 5, 2024 7:31 am

Tom White wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I saw an article or two about Paul George hoping that the Clippers and Pacers would retire his jersey. :o He says that if the Pacers do it he might get booed at the ceremony. :lol:

Truly a legend in his own mind.

Maybe he thinks the Pacers will retire his jersey in honor of all his game winning shots. Hold on a second. He never had even one! He always impressed me as being just a giant a-hole.

He was a truly great player,.... It hits home for me, if you look at that 15-16 team we were using as an example in another thread,... they had George Hill, Rodney Stucky, Paul George, a rookie Myles Turner getting 22 minutes a night,... and well,.... not much else (ok,.. CJ Miles as a shooter to round out the starting 5),.. still won 45 games. Largely, this was due to PG.

Having said that,... yeah, not a fan. Not a fan of the way he left. Not a fan of his 'negotiating' other players to come to indy without talking to the FO. Specifically players we had no way to sign or trade to obtain. Watching him play in LA, not a fan of him just coasting, and still getting all star numbers. Not a fan of how he treated is his teammates while he was here (the story is out there if you want to find it.). Not a fan of the way he responded to the FO & took everything to the newspapers. Not a fan of the way he disrespected & treated the fans and the fan base in Indy.

Don't think the Pacers should retire his Jersey. For all the good things he did on the basketball court, there are just as many things he did that were directly responsible for tearing down that team & harming the franchise (IMO). He was right,.. at that point & time, the team needed a rebuild. Sometimes 'how' you do something matters as much as 'what' you do.
Pacers Forever
Veteran

Post#493 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:26 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=9ViPZrC6T8ng6kcZke0I5g

Interesting that 6 of 7 organizations gambled their ownership’s money paying luxury taxes and failed. I’m not jealous since it’s a losing bet, however I wish the salary cap was the same for all teams and luxury tax paying was forbidden.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#494 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:25 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting that 6 of 7 organizations gambled their ownership’s money paying luxury taxes and failed. I’m not jealous since it’s a losing bet, however I wish the salary cap was the same for all teams and luxury tax paying was forbidden.

A hard cap could just never happen unless the players get a MUCH larger share of BRI. It would only stand to benefit ownership’s pockets.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#495 » by JMaster5K » Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:58 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter

A hard cap could just never happen unless the players get a MUCH larger share of BRI. It would only stand to benefit ownership’s pockets.

I have to admit,.. I kinda like this system. It probably needs some adjusting from time to time to put greater or lessor penalties on teams that go over the cap. They could look at ways to lower a teams/owners risk in drafting/developing players & having contracts go underwater? (which doesn't help the team or the player.) But generally, I like the recognition that just spending all you want isn't fair, and the flexibility to try to keep a team together.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#496 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:01 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have to admit,.. I kinda like this system. It probably needs some adjusting from time to time to put greater or lessor penalties on teams that go over the cap. They could look at ways to lower a teams/owners risk in drafting/developing players & having contracts go underwater? (which doesn't help the team or the player.) But generally, I like the recognition that just spending all you want isn't fair, and the flexibility to try to keep a team together.

Also, we are just starting this new second apron system which has a real possibility of making it impossible to just continually add salary endlessly. It seems like the closest the owners can possibly come to a hard cap.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#497 » by JMaster5K » Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Also, we are just starting this new second apron system which has a real possibility of making it impossible to just continually add salary endlessly. It seems like the closest the owners can possibly come to a hard cap.

True. I do like the idea that potentially full contract values could be lower with higher incentives, but I think that is so far gone that we can't even see the taillights,.... :lol:
Pacers Forever
Veteran

Post#498 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Would be so cool if the Pacers could afford him without losing too much. With all their youth maturing over the summer I think they’re only a star away from championship contention.

Is it possible to onboard him first if he wants to turn down a better offer in free agency to play here and secondly is there $$ room to go over the salary cap but stay under the luxury tax ? Of course they would let Jalen, Doug, and James walk filling the end of the roster with the cheapest salaries possible.

Just curious if the owners went all in for a 1-2 year championship run if it’s possible ?

Haliburton
Nembhard
Anunoby
Siakam
Turner

McConnell
Mathurin
Nesmith
Toppin
Jackson

Sheppard, Walker, and Brown playing situational minutes.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#499 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:01 pm

I think the only way we afford OG is if Siakam takes a discount to make it happen but that is effectively asking Siakam to pay OG which doesn't sound reasonable
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#500 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:28 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter

Would be so cool if the Pacers could afford him without losing too much. With all their youth maturing over the summer I think they’re only a star away from championship contention.

Is it possible to onboard him first if he wants to turn down a better offer in free agency to play here and secondly is there $$ room to go over the salary cap but stay under the luxury tax ? Of course they would let Jalen, Doug, and James walk filling the end of the roster with the cheapest salaries possible.

Just curious if the owners went all in for a 1-2 year championship run if it’s possible ?

Haliburton
Nembhard
Anunoby
Siakam
Turner

McConnell
Mathurin
Nesmith
Toppin
Jackson

Sheppard, Walker, and Brown playing situational minutes.

He’d have to take a discount to the MLE here, which would be almost $30m less in year one than what he wants from NY. If his issue in NY is the amount of money offered, we can’t improve on that. And then it would take 3 years to get full bird rights to try and pay him back on a max. And we have Siakam, and OG wanted to step out of Siakam’s shadow in Toronto.

In terms of trade, you’d have to salary match almost $40m, and it’s hard to put together $35-36m in salary matching to acquire him without destroying the team.

Return to Indiana Pacers