ImageImageImageImageImage

Player of the Game - Wizards vs. Celtics (1/12)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Player of the Game

DeShawn Stevenson
60%
Caron Butler
No votes
Antawn Jamison
13%
Antawn Jamison
13%
Antonio Daniels
5%
Andray Blatche
4%
Brendan Haywood
No votes
Nick Young
2%
Other (Write-In Candidate)
4%

Total votes: 55

WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Player of the Game - Wizards vs. Celtics (1/12) 

Post#1 » by WizStorm » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:17 am

Here are the Player of the Game nominees from tonight's game...

DeClutch Stevenson: 19 points (FG:5/11, 3P:1/5, FT:8/8), 6 rebounds,
2 assists, 1 steal

Caron Butler: 16 points (FG:5/17, 3P:0/6, FT:6/6), 10 rebounds,
2 assists, 4 steals, 1 block, 6 turnovers

Antawn Jamison: 10 points (FG:4/15, 3P:0/3, FT:2/2), 16 rebounds,
2 assists, 3 steals, 1 turnover

Antonio Daniels: 9 points (FG:2/2, 3P:1/1, FT:4/6), 5 assists,
3 rebounds, 1 steal, 5 turnovers

Andray Blatche: 9 points (FG:4/8, FT:1/1), 7 rebounds, 1 assist,
2 blocks, 2 turnovers

Brendan Haywood: 9 points (FG:3/9, FT:3/4), 4 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals

Nick Young: 6 points (FG:2/5, FT:2/2), 1 rebound, 1 steal, 2 turnovers

Feel free to post your thoughts and argue the merits for your favorite candidate. Also be sure to post your thoughts on the 2nd and 3rd place guys, including role-players that stepped up and made a difference in the victory.

Player of the game from the Wizards victory over the Atlanta Hawks (1/12) (link)..
Image Player of Game - DeShawn Stevenson Image
_____Image
_____19 points (FG:6/13, 3P:3/5, FT:4/4), 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 1 turnover
________________________2nd Place - Andray Blatche
________________________3rd Place - Antawn Jamison

For 2007/2008 Player of the Game Summary, click HERE

For 2006/2007 Player of the Game Summary Archive, click HERE
For 2005/2006 Player of the Game Summary Archive, click HERE
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#2 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:19 am

All hail DeClutch!

And Jamison! And every frickin player for the zards! You are all awesome! And EJ! And Ayers! And Hopla! And Abe Pollin! And the ballboys! And the hot dog guys! EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#3 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:21 am

Eddie Jordan coached one HELL of a game.

Rebounding was clearly the gameplan and it worked to perfection. Somehow, EJ managed to have Haywood there to come up big at just the right time, and also have Blatche, Young, Songaila, and Mason ALL contribute.

As for POTG, tough between DeShawn and Jamison but I'll go Jamison for the rebounds.

Honorable mention goes to Paul Pierce. The second he pissed off Butler I got happy. It turned the whole game around and Boston ended up being the team to get punked.
Bye bye Beal.
joeisabigdork
Senior

Post#4 » by joeisabigdork » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:21 am

Where is the option vote for the whole team? Even the bench maintained their composure on the most part. WHAT A GAME!!
Nick Young1
Freshman

Post#5 » by Nick Young1 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:21 am

Gotta be Declutch. Jamison a strong 2nd, and Butler and AD 3. AD hit the big 3 though.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:23 am

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:All hail DeClutch!

:bowdown:

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Eddie Jordan coached one HELL of a game.

:nod:

Great defense and FT shooting by everybody so gotta shout out Ayers/Hopla as well.
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by RickRoll_inDC » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:24 am

i said during the game "i don't care who has what stats for either team. as long as we have more points than they do in the end."

but since i feel like i have to vote, i'll go with DeShawn. he hit our 1 3 pointer until Daniels hit a clutch one in the 4th, hit all of his FT's, and got a steal which lead to the DAGGER!

everyone played hard. Even though TJ and AJ had poor shooting nights, we just gave more effort late in the game going on a 15-4 run in the 4th quarter.
19-13 on game threads
wermolwermol777
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#8 » by wermolwermol777 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:26 am

For me it is a three-way tie between Randy Ayers, Dave Hopla and Eddie Jordan.

EJ coached a great game, Dave Hopla has had an amazing effect on our team...look at the free throw shooting...it was the second game in as many nights we won largely thanks to free throws. And Randy Ayers, well wow - last year a lot of us believed (or at least expressed belief in their comments) that this team can't defend at all. Look at us. We are actually playing defense. Still unbeaten at home when we keep opponents to less than 90.

But players

1 - Deshawn Stevenson - Great, great game from him again. And as WizStorm correctly pointed out - mega clutch.

2 - Antonio Daniels - Simply put - the biggest shot of the night.

3 - Antawn Jamison - Well, he might have had a bad shooting night, but to follow up 17 rebounds with 16 the following night is nothing short of spectacular. I love his hustle.

The combo of Blatche/Haywood also played well and while Blatche was performing well it might have been a blessing in disguise with him getting that minor injury because when Haywood came in he played very good defense. Butler also made some key baskets. Nick Young provided a nice spark in limited minutes.

In conclusion. Very good win - a team win.
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by RickRoll_inDC » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:28 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Eddie Jordan coached one HELL of a game.

-snip-

Honorable mention goes to Paul Pierce. The second he pissed off Butler I got happy. It turned the whole game around and Boston ended up being the team to get punked.

this really was one of the best games I've seen EJ coach in a long time. there was a time towards the end when i think he should have gotten wood out a little sooner, but other than that, it was a great game on EJ's part.

Butler seems to like to do that to people. he just can go off and absolutely destroy anyone in the league at any given point. he lives to prove a point.
19-13 on game threads
Coryvstheworld
Ballboy

Post#10 » by Coryvstheworld » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:32 am

I voted for AD. He didn't fill up the stat line, and he made a some crucial mistakes, but I think that three pointer in the 4th was the biggest basket of the game. Plus, that 3vs1 steal he had was sweeet.
wizkids0436
Sophomore

Post#11 » by wizkids0436 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:37 am

Deshawn gets my vote great overall win for us as a team and a surprising one im happy we got this one I doubt we win in boston though good game :clap:
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by RickRoll_inDC » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:38 am

Coryvstheworld wrote:I voted for AD. He didn't fill up the stat line, and he made a some crucial mistakes, but I think that three pointer in the 4th was the biggest basket of the game. Plus, that 3vs1 steal he had was sweeet.

that steal, although an absolutely amazing play by Daniels, was mostly a mistake by Boston. they had a 3 on 1 and could've scored easily without a pass at all, but they decided to try and get a SC type play, and it backfired.

AD gets my 2nd place vote, if we could push a button for 2nd place.
19-13 on game threads
Coryvstheworld
Ballboy

Post#13 » by Coryvstheworld » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:47 am

that steal, although an absolutely amazing play by Daniels, was mostly a mistake by Boston. they had a 3 on 1 and could've scored easily without a pass at all, but they decided to try and get a SC type play, and it backfired.

AD gets my 2nd place vote, if we could push a button for 2nd place.

Definitely a mistake by Boston, but AD had great position, and it is representative of his never give up attitude that I love so much.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:50 am

Yep, Daniels could have easily pulled up and saved his energy but the fact that he was actually in a position to benefit from Boston's mistake showed hustle. Heck, it could be that the C's didn't actually expect anyone to run with them and his presence may have ultimately caused the mistake.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#15 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:59 am

Yeah, it has to be Stevenson.

1. DS

2. AB

3. AJ
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#16 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:02 am

Did anybody else love the camera cutaway shot to Eddie and Randy Ayers right after the Wizards got the score tied at 68.

Both of them looked like they were thinking "We got this".

They work well together.
Bye bye Beal.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#17 » by BigA » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:29 am

Great team effort. Vote for Stevenson.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:49 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Did anybody else love the camera cutaway shot to Eddie and Randy Ayers right after the Wizards got the score tied at 68.

They work well together.

This may be the lynch-pin for the success the team has had this year. Finally having someone other than a "cronie who depends on you for his meal ticket" type of assistant next to him on the sidelines has helped EJ immensely.
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 614

Post#19 » by bballcool34 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:50 am

gilbertgoes05 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

this really was one of the best games I've seen EJ coach in a long time. there was a time towards the end when i think he should have gotten wood out a little sooner, but other than that, it was a great game on EJ's part.

Butler seems to like to do that to people. he just can go off and absolutely destroy anyone in the league at any given point. he lives to prove a point.

Wait, when did Butler go off on Pierce?
Damn
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,349

Post#20 » by doclinkin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:09 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Did anybody else love the camera cutaway shot to Eddie and Randy Ayers right after the Wizards got the score tied at 68.

They work well together.

Agreed. Good cop bad cop chemistry, steel fist velvet glove. But all of the coaching staff seems to have the same good chemistry. All are standing up and around the huddle in timeouts, talking with players. And better still, laughing and joking with each other. There seems to be a bit of swagger on the bench with the coaching staff sharing expertise and ideas, making it work. And no big ticket ego too self-important top listen to advice and alter.

When there's no clear player and a team effort team win (and good scheme to attack the ball handlers with Rondo out the game) the right vote is a write-in: coaching staff.

Return to Washington Wizards