Image ImageImage Image

To trade or not to trade Joe Smith

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

To trade or not to trade Joe Smith 

Post#1 » by dougthonus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:12 pm

Smith seems like he'd be a perfect addition to a solid playoff team in need of a big man. He seems like a perfect fit as a 3rd option as a big man as he can be versatile to cover PF, C, and offer inside/outside play and is solid all around.

As someone else mentioned in a different thread, he'd have been perfect to have on our team last year. This year and in the future, I'm not so sure. Do we turn it around next year enough that we need Joe Smith or do we cut bait with Smith while we can get something in return (and put Smith in a situation where he can win which I'm sure he'd like).

The Lakers seem like a perfect team to trade him to IMO. I came up with Joe Smith for Chris Mihm + Javaras Crittenton as a possibility.

Any Joe Smith deals you would do? How much of a return would you need?
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
tclg
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#2 » by tclg » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:19 pm

that would be awesome doug
HeavyC
Starter
And1: 8

Post#3 » by HeavyC » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:20 pm

I'd definitely trade him. He's just being wasted here in Chicago, and Tyrus and Noah need his minutes. Since I can't see Wallace being moved at this point, he's the logical guy to trade, plus he has a lot of value right now. Might as well sell high on him.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#4 » by Dieselbound&Down » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:21 pm

Doug, I would do that trade. Ideally, I would rather have a pf/c rotation of Noah, TT with Smith and Gray getting the other minutes. However, with Wallace still here, moving Smith would have a similar effect minutes wise.

In addition to helping the long term future of the team, it is a nice bonus to move him to a team that can really utilize a 20 mpg player of his caliber off the bench. Every team can use a guy like that and Joe is a good guy. It's unfortunate things fell apart around him this year.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#5 » by kyrv » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:21 pm

I would like to see the Bulls trade Joe Smith and I believe his value is as high as it will ever be.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#6 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:22 pm

I 'll take that deal Doug.
For love, not money.
#1TKfan
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#7 » by #1TKfan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 pm

thats a tough call. i like joe smith, but youre right he doesnt belong here. UNLESS we get some type of player that compliments hims. IMO, first priority is to dump ben wallace. in that case we may need joe smith for the time being, until we find someone who can fill his shoes. someone younger. who? thats the question.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#8 » by theanimal23 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 pm

HeavyC wrote:I'd definitely trade him. He's just being wasted here in Chicago, and Tyrus and Noah need his minutes. Since I can't see Wallace being moved at this point, he's the logical guy to trade, plus he has a lot of value right now. Might as well sell high on him.

Exactly how I feel. I would do any move that can either land us a young player on a rookie deal from a contending team (otherwise why would they trade for him) or an expiring (i.e. Garrity) and a 1st

Let Ty and JoNo develop.
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Re: To trade or not to trade Joe Smith 

Post#9 » by bullzman23 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:24 pm

dougthonus wrote:As someone else mentioned in a different thread, he'd have been perfect to have on our team last year. This year and in the future, I'm not so sure. Do we turn it around next year enough that we need Joe Smith or do we cut bait with Smith while we can get something in return (and put Smith in a situation where he can win which I'm sure he'd like).

That was me who was saying this, and personally I still expect us to return to a potential contender next season. If health permits it, I could see Smith being productive and valuable for another three seasons. He brings a skill that none of our other bigs bring.

That being said, if we decide that Gordon or Deng are to be traded (for bigs or younger players) then Smith should go.

I'm still at the point that I want to hold on to him, but obviously that depends completely on the trade. I would trade Smith for JC, but I probably wouldn't trade him for a late 1st round pick.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#10 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Best deal is Joe Smith & Ben Wallace for Jermaine O'Neal

We can test O'Neal this year & next - and then decline his option in 2009-10.

Ben W is guaranteed that year - so Bills save $14 million plus get a better player than Ben W
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#11 » by TheStig » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Doug, I am opposed to trading Joe Smith. I don't see the lakers giving us a good prospect like Jarvis. And I know we will make the playoffs. Joe Smith is a big part of the front court and gives us something we didn't have last year. I think between Noah and Smith we have a legitamate front court with size and rebounding. As long as we get healthy and get at least a 7th seed, I think there is a wide open shot for anyone to go to the ecf. We are only about 2 games out and if we get Gordon and Deng back in a reasonable time there is no reason we won't make it. Indy is falling, NJ is falling apart, ATL is nothing to be scared of. I just don't see a reason we won't make the playoffs and make some noise.
HeavyC
Starter
And1: 8

Post#12 » by HeavyC » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:27 pm

bulls6 wrote:Best deal is Joe Smith & Ben Wallace for Jermaine O'Neal

Ben W is guaranteed that year - so Bills save $14 million plus get a better player than Ben W

I would jump all over that. O'Neal, Tyrus, Noah, and Gray would be a nice rotation up front. Maybe the Bulls get lucky and O'Neal has a resurgence, if not, they are at least free of Wallace without totally killing themselves financially.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#13 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:29 pm

HeavyC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I would jump all over that. O'Neal, Tyrus, Noah, and Gray would be a nice rotation up front. Maybe the Bulls get lucky and O'Neal has a resurgence, if not, they are at least free of Wallace without totally killing themselves financially.

Right - even knowing that we may not get a full year from JON, he's better than Ben W when he does play - and worth trading Smith rather than a younger talent
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#14 » by TheStig » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:32 pm

bulls6 wrote:Best deal is Joe Smith & Ben Wallace for Jermaine O'Neal

I'd definetly do that, but thats not really a step back imo. If JO can come back healthy next year, we would be contenders.
Ebo21
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#15 » by Ebo21 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:33 pm

I wouldn't trade him. He's playing some of his best basketball in years. If not for him we would be further in the hole than we are.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#16 » by theanimal23 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Ebo21 wrote:I wouldn't trade him. He's playing some of his best basketball in years. If not for him we would be further in the hole than we are.

If we're not in title contention, what does it matter if we are a lowly playoff team or a lotto team? Is Joe Smith really helping us win it all this year, or next year? Or would a lotto pick help us more in the future? What about making the playoffs and having Noah/Tyrus try to lead us there and help get acclimated to the playoff atmosphere?

For the Joe Smith supporters, I ask, how is Joe Smith helping us? He is playing well. Kudos to him. But our team isn't better. This isn't necessarily because of him. But at the same time, he indirectly is hurting our future by us not developing our young talent. If we are ever winning a title with this roster it hinders on the shoulders of Tyrus and Noah. Not Joe Smith leading us to a 7th seed and a 1st round loss. If we are the same team next year then we should limit Joe's minutes. Bullzman thinks we could be back next year. It's possible. But if Noah/Ty are not better, how far do people think we can go?

Pax trade Smith for the sake of our future.
topper09
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: To trade or not to trade Joe Smith 

Post#17 » by topper09 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:40 pm

dougthonus wrote:Smith seems like he'd be a perfect addition to a solid playoff team in need of a big man. He seems like a perfect fit as a 3rd option as a big man as he can be versatile to cover PF, C, and offer inside/outside play and is solid all around.

As someone else mentioned in a different thread, he'd have been perfect to have on our team last year. This year and in the future, I'm not so sure. Do we turn it around next year enough that we need Joe Smith or do we cut bait with Smith while we can get something in return (and put Smith in a situation where he can win which I'm sure he'd like).

The Lakers seem like a perfect team to trade him to IMO. I came up with Joe Smith for Chris Mihm + Javaras Crittenton as a possibility.

Any Joe Smith deals you would do? How much of a return would you need?

Paxson would probably trade Smith for an NBA Management 101 Book for his GM course.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,122

Post#18 » by molepharmer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:47 pm

If either Smith or Noc can bring back a young guard with potential, then I
Ebo21
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#19 » by Ebo21 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:47 pm

theanimal23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If we're not in title contention, what does it matter if we are a lowly playoff team or a lotto team? Is Joe Smith really helping us win it all this year, or next year? Or would a lotto pick help us more in the future? What about making the playoffs and having Noah/Tyrus try to lead us there and help get acclimated to the playoff atmosphere?

For the Joe Smith supporters, I ask, how is Joe Smith helping us? He is playing well. Kudos to him. But our team isn't better. This isn't necessarily because of him. But at the same time, he indirectly is hurting our future by us not developing our young talent. If we are ever winning a title with this roster it hinders on the shoulders of Tyrus and Noah. Not Joe Smith leading us to a 7th seed and a 1st round loss. If we are the same team next year then we should limit Joe's minutes. Bullzman thinks we could be back next year. It's possible. But if Noah/Ty are not better, how far do people think we can go?

Pax trade Smith for the sake of our future.

Understood but you can never depend on "young talent" to develop. I'm not in favor of trying to salvage the season, but you never step onto the floor with the intentions of losing. He was brought here to be a solid VET in which no one can argue he hasn't been. If you get rid of him you're looking at who Ben Wallace being that solid vet? Yea right he can't grab more than 5 boards in a game anymore. So you lose Joe Smith and we'll be looking to spend our MLE on a player who can fill his shoes like we did when we lost Antonio Davis, PJ Brown. You keep him and reduce his minutes next year; in turn boosting his production for the team. He's not here to be a 22 ppg player but he is capable. Plus with the inconsistency of other big men such as TT, Gray, BW, and the young gunner Noc it isn't a bad thing to keep him on the team. Why trade him to bring in MORE young, unproven, unpolished talent? Why are we so infatuated with trading our pieces? Egypt wasn't built in a day, but when it was completed it formulated a dynasty.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#20 » by kyrv » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:50 pm

molepharmer wrote:If either Smith or Noc can bring back a young guard with potential, then I

Return to Chicago Bulls