ImageImageImageImageImage

Kapono in the last 27 games

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Kapono in the last 27 games 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:07 pm

Last 25 games:

Minutes per game: 15
3-pointers made/attempted per game: 0.16/0.4
Free throws attempted per game: 0.36
Rebounds per game: 1.1

Cost of every 3-pointer made in those last 25 games: $408,231.70

Nice. :D
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#2 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 pm

I honestly still think he was worth the money. He just is not being used properly here in Toronto, and by not being surrounded by good team defenders all the time it really has shown some of the flaws in his game defensively.

Sam needs to run some kick out plays for Kapono when T.J. or Jose drive to the basket, I think it's that simple and will give Kapono a ton of opportunity to show why he received such a big contract.
ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Post#3 » by ranger001 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:19 pm

Teams almost never leave kapono alone so its difficult for the PG to kick out to him. The play that seems to work is a double screen for him to get a jumpshot.
Japen
Sixth Man
And1: 57

Post#4 » by Japen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:19 pm

I agree with Little Ozzy, who by the way has the best profile pic out there, it is hard to justify your contract when you hardly get a chance. He seems to chuck em up when he gets in games, because he never nows when he is going to get yanked.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#5 » by Komodo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:19 pm

Mitchell needs a play book.
Exar Kun
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#6 » by Exar Kun » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:22 pm

komodo19 wrote:Mitchell needs a play book.

The best part of lastnight is when they had Rod Black speaking during the game and he says "I was just near the Raptor huddle and it sounds like the Raptors are going to try and do a high pick and roll between Calderon and Bosh"

Thanks Rod, you're amazing.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#7 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:22 pm

ranger001 wrote:Teams almost never leave kapono alone so its difficult for the PG to kick out to him. The play that seems to work is a double screen for him to get a jumpshot.

That's true but just saying that also proves some of Kapono's worth. If he draws a defender out it gives a lot more room for Bosh to operate down low.

I just wish they would try a few more things for Kapono because he just has a wicked shot.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#8 » by supersub15 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:26 pm

ranger001 wrote:Teams almost never leave kapono alone so its difficult for the PG to kick out to him. The play that seems to work is a double screen for him to get a jumpshot.

Parker and Delfino have no problems finding the open spot. And even when he's open, he's too indicisive and generally prefers to fake and drive in order to shoot an 18 ft on the move.

It's mostly on him.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#9 » by J Dilla » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:30 pm

Bad signing by BC. He was the first signing of the free agency period at that. I bet BC was sharing a spliff with Maurizio at 12:01. If Kapono is worth 6.4, then Delfino will ask for 8.
ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Post#10 » by ranger001 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:35 pm

supersub15 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Parker and Delfino have no problems finding the open spot. And even when he's open, he's too indicisive and generally prefers to fake and drive in order to shoot an 18 ft on the move.

It's mostly on him.

Is it that they find an open spot or that teams would rather leave Parker, Delfino or Moon open rather than Kapono? Maybe a bit of both, but if Sam told Kapono to shoot it he would be shooting it. He might have the quickest release in the league.
LightingTheRafer
Senior
And1: 0

Post#11 » by LightingTheRafer » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:35 pm

So Kapono is actually doing more than just hucking 3's, and SuperSub, decides to break down his salary based on 3's made. :roll:

Edit: Check your PM.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,441

Post#12 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:37 pm

hump43 wrote:Bad signing by BC. He was the first signing of the free agency period at that. I bet BC was sharing a spliff with Maurizio at 12:01. If Kapono is worth 6.4, then Delfino will ask for 8.

He can ask for whatever he wants. What teams under the cap are going to offer him $8million/year?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
raptorscam
Pro Prospect
And1: 58

Post#13 » by raptorscam » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:37 pm

I think he'll be an important contributor when the Raps team that is going to make at a championship takes shape. Right now there are too many guys who can bomb threes and do other stuff to make him very useful, I think that will change when the complexion of the team changes.
reck0n3r
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#14 » by reck0n3r » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:47 pm

Japen wrote:I agree with Little Ozzy, who by the way has the best profile pic out there, it is hard to justify your contract when you hardly get a chance. He seems to chuck em up when he gets in games, because he never nows when he is going to get yanked.

Where have i heard this before..hmm..
teamLeiweke
Head Coach
And1: 5,019

Post#15 » by teamLeiweke » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:56 pm

Lets face it:

1) He is a deadly three point shooter, but cant create space for his own shot...

2) hes very one dimensional, maybe two dimensional...

3) there are better players ahead of him on our deep roster and rotation...

4) he is a defensive liability at times, especially with Moon, Delfino, Parker as your other options...

Sure he could be used more effectively at times, but I cant be mad at Sam's decisions making as far as minutes and the rotation goes where Kapono is corncerned.
Squally
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#16 » by Squally » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Kapono will still prove his worth come playoff time when we need big shots made. He is not being used right anyways, he seems to be playing better with a real point guard that can give him the ball rather then D-Mart or dixon as he can not really create his own shot very well and needs someone to feed him.

would much rather have him shooting then see the selfish Delfino attempt a crazy lay up. He really needs to practice those!
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Post#17 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:05 pm

I like Sam's personality and I find him entertaining, but I don't think he'll be our coach next year. We run almost no sets other than Bosh pick and role, our defense doesn't adjust from game to game or give team different looks. So if we aren't focusing on offense or defense, what is the coach doing besides getting on guys and making substitutions? Sam's great at that, right? Dealing with the media? This may actually be Sam's strong suit. Keeping guys motivated? Must be hard to keep this group of character guys BC assembled motivated. I wonder if Sam may even at times have a negative effect with his temperamental subs, and failure to draw up looks that put his personnel in a position to succeed.

Anyway, I've seen many variations of this team under Sam's tenure, and when the talent improves they improve, but what over that time can be said about Sam's coaching, other it's getting a bit better from where it was. Watch in games, he the first person on the court to start looking nervous, he's not the source of poise and confidence we need to get to the next level, imo.

I've yet to come away thinking we've out coached someone. It seems to guys are never put in for positive reasons, as in "We need a three and this guy can hit it". It's always negative, as in "this guy ain't getting it done." Think about our weaponry and think about that for a second. When you may have the deepest bench in the league, you may want to use some if just because they can help succeed, not solely to just stem defeat. You wonder why we have trouble putting guys away. If Sam isn't reacting to mistakes he's not doing anything. How's about being proactive, and having a strategy for success and not just to a strategy to try to stop the bleeding.
TribeZulu
Sixth Man
And1: 134

Post#18 » by TribeZulu » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:18 pm

Kapono may or may not be a good fit on our team, but I still say he's an asset that a few other teams would gladly take off our hands because he's the best shooter in the league.

There are a lot of negative value players in the league... almost all teams have one. The Knicks have a roster full, but I degress... Kapono's shooting gives him positive value with a few GMs. Therefore, he can always be moved for another positive-value player. Thus, I have no problem with BC signing him last offseason.

Still, I'd like to see the Raps hold on to him. He's still a relatively young player and he's in a league of his own on set jump shots. If he can work on his defensive game and the Raps can bring him into the offense a bit more, he could become a key cog in the Raptor Championship Machine.
jbraptor
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#19 » by jbraptor » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:23 pm

do we not swing the ball anymore?
AfricanSensation
Head Coach
And1: 294

Post#20 » by AfricanSensation » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:25 pm

Leave the system alone, you think teams are leaving Parker who has been top 5 in 3pt% for the last 2 years wide open on purpose? Nope, but he still manages to get his 3s. You think Indy was letting Fino open yesterday? Nope, but even if he is 5 feet way from the 3pt line with a guy in his face, Fino is gonna chuck it.

Kapono has noone to blame than his inability to get open or create for himself. I am tired of Leo praising him for trying to go inside blabla, he is not Lebron, he should stand behind the 3pt line and chcuk 3s like Fino and Bargs are doing and Mope before them, if there's one man in NBA history who should park himself behind the 3pt line and chuck 3s even with a guy in his face its Pono.

Look at Korver, Mike Miller, Peja or Dunleavy, as soon as they get the ball they chuck 3s, forget percentage, like Mike Miller said, if you shoot over 50% on 3s you are not taking enough 3s. These guys shooting 45% while taking some bad shots are much more valuable than Pono and his 50% while shooting once every 3 games.

Return to Toronto Raptors