Image ImageImage Image

Chicago Visitor's Guide

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#61 » by SportsWorld » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:30 pm

I noticed you had a United Center shuttle listed. Here is the Wrigley Field shuttle bus that leaves from Lombard and Schaumburg.
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ballpark/directions.jsp
House
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#62 » by House » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:55 pm

dougthonus wrote:I recommend you take Pizzeria Uno off the list of 'recommended pizza'.

1) Their pizza sucks. There are probably about 100 better pizza places in the Chicago land area.
2) Their pizza isn't real deep dish chicago style pizza.
3) It's a chain that has restaurants all over the country and not just in the Chicagoland area.
4) I'm insulted that anyone would recommend it.

Okay, I'm kidding about taking it off, but if you do come to Chicago, seriously, don't go to Pizzeria Uno's if you want good pizza unless you're trying out a wide variety of pizza places. You can do SO much better.

Uno's is right down the street from my home here in Indy. I love the place personally. :oops:
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#63 » by TB#1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:07 pm

House wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Uno's is right down the street from my home here in Indy. I love the place personally. :oops:

as I've said many times, I love the original Uno's and don't quite understand the hate from a vocal minority.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,631

Post#64 » by DuckIII » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:22 pm

TB#1 wrote:as I've said many times, I love the original Uno's and don't quite understand the hate from a vocal minority.

I was in Chicago a couple of years ago for the Thabo/Thomas draft and watched it at ESPNZone with some realgmers. I got a sausage pizza from the original Uno and took it back to my hotel after the first round of the draft.

I thought it was kinda disappointing. Not that it sucked or anything, but I think Giordanos is significantly better. Haven't had Malnatti's yet, but I look forward to it.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
TB#1
Banned User

Post#65 » by TB#1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:25 pm

Yeah, well, see? You have others on this thread absolutely slandaring Giordano's.

Everyone's got their favorite.
House
Banned User

Post#66 » by House » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:26 pm

DuckIII wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I was in Chicago a couple of years ago for the Thabo/Thomas draft and watched it at ESPNZone with some realgmers. I got a sausage pizza from the original Uno and took it back to my hotel after the first round of the draft.

I thought it was kinda disappointing. Not that it sucked or anything, but I think Giordanos is significantly better. Haven't had Malnatti's yet, but I look forward to it.

You have to get the numero UNO! Getting only sausage was probably why you were disapointed.

I've never had Giordanos, we don't have it here in Indy. I hope I get to try it in April while I'm in Florida though. Going to Florida to try Chicago pizza. :wink:
mps
Senior

Post#67 » by mps » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:26 am

I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, so apologize if these are duplicates.

Best Sushi in Chicago is Tanoshii at 5547 N. Clark St. It's run by "Sushi Mike," who had a cult following in a number of different Sushi restaurants before stepping out on his own. He's the only Sushi chef in Chicago that the customers follow from restaurant to restaurant. Don't order off the menu, just get a "Mike special," which is whatever he feels like making. While you're there, you can check out "Too much light makes the baby go blind," Chicago's longest running play (20 years), a few blocks away at the neo-futurarium.

Hot Doug's and the Weiner circle are not to be missed.

Another great thing is taking the entire Lake Front bike trail. Unlike any other large city, the entire lakefront of Chicago is parkland (over 15 miles of parks), what a great way to see the city. I'm also a big fan of Millenium Park, The Oak Street beach has fantastic energy, good swimming in the summer, and is surrounded by some of the tallest buildings in Chicago (We have great beaches downtown because one of the great engineering achievements of the 19th century was to reverse the flow of the Chicago river to flow out of Lake Michigan, so we pollute the Gulf of Mexico, instead of our own shoreline like NY, Cleveland, etc. do). I also like Millenium Park and the Glencoe Beach, which you reach by going down an awesome forested bluff. While you're up there, check out the Bahai temple in Wilmette.

If you're here in the summer, check out the Grant Park film festival, which shows evening outdoor films to tens of thousands of people picknicking in the Lakefront park throughout the summer. Lollapalooza is a no-brainer. If you're here in the winter, ice skating on the Midway Plaisance is awesome, and a good way to visit the University of Chicago (my alma mater).
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by DuckIII » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:51 pm

TB#1 wrote:Yeah, well, see? You have others on this thread absolutely slandaring Giordano's.

True. But those people are stupid.
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#69 » by Grand Champ » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:22 pm

True. But those people are stupid.

Try Pequods and you'll never eat that god awful Giordano's ever again. Get it delivered sometime. TRUST ME!
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by DuckIII » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:51 pm

Grand.Champ wrote:Try Pequods and you'll never eat that god awful Giordano's ever again. Get it delivered sometime. TRUST ME!

Oh, I do trust you. But I live 4 hours south of Chicago. Delivery is kind of a problem for me, you see.
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#71 » by Grand Champ » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:09 pm

Oh, I do trust you. But I live 4 hours south of Chicago. Delivery is kind of a problem for me, you see.

Order a dry ice packed lou malnati's pizza and bake it yourself in your oven then :) I guess that will be a decent substitute
TB#1
Banned User

Post#72 » by TB#1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:20 pm

As mentioned above, you can Mail Order Lou's, Carson's Ribs, Portillo's and a bunch of other Chicago favorites.

But as much as I miss my Chicago pizza, $40 for a 9" deep dish is a bit steep for me.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by DuckIII » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:59 pm

TB#1 wrote:As mentioned above, you can Mail Order Lou's, Carson's Ribs, Portillo's and a bunch of other Chicago favorites.

But as much as I miss my Chicago pizza, $40 for a 9" deep dish is a bit steep for me.

Its not worth the price. Plus, I've read from a few people in here that the mail order pizzas really aren't all that great.
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,979

Post#74 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:32 pm

TB#1 wrote:As mentioned above, you can Mail Order Lou's, Carson's Ribs, Portillo's and a bunch of other Chicago favorites.

An old college buddy of mine, that now lives in Denton, TX, was making plans to order one of these packages a few months ago. He was going to have a bunch of friends over and serve a deep-dish pizza and italian beef sandwiches. I'll have to ask him if he followed through and did it, and how the quality of the food was.

EDIT: Yeah, $40 for one 9-inch Lou Malnati's pizza is highway robbery. However, you can get a 12-inch pie from Giordano's (cheese/spinach/or vegi pizza) for about half of that. If I remember correctly my friend was planning on ordering through Giordano's.
TB#1
Banned User

Post#75 » by TB#1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:27 pm

GregB wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Right now they live in Elmhurst. From what I understand that a sub SE of Chicago. I am pretty much willing to go anywhere though.

I really want to try some authentic deep dish pizza. Ginos East and Giordanos sound like the best from everything I have read. Not sure which one to choose. Maybe I will have to try both.

Actually, Elmurst is a West suburb. South-East of the city, you are either in Armpit, Indiana or swimming.

There are places to go in Elmhurst and the surrounding suburbs, but nothing I can think of that is particualrly awesome for visitors. You'll have reasonable access to drive to the city from there.

http://www.elmhurst.org/visitor/
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#76 » by GregB » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:40 am

TB#1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, Elmurst is a West suburb. South-East of the city, you are either in Armpit, Indiana or swimming.

There are places to go in Elmhurst and the surrounding suburbs, but nothing I can think of that is particualrly awesome for visitors. You'll have reasonable access to drive to the city from there.

http://www.elmhurst.org/visitor/

Yeah, Sorry I meant SW. Had a little brainfart. I dont really plan on spending much time there anyways. I definitely want to see what the City has to offer.

I saw the cubs will be on the road when I am there. Do they do Wrigley tours?

Grand.Champ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Try Pequods and you'll never eat that god awful Giordano's ever again. Get it delivered sometime. TRUST ME!

Thanks for the tip. Checked out the website. Stuff looks really good.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#77 » by Posey H8er » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:40 am

GregB wrote:Yeah, Sorry I meant SW. Had a little brainfart. I dont really plan on spending much time there anyways. I definitely want to see what the City has to offer.

I saw the cubs will be on the road when I am there. Do they do Wrigley tours?

Yes. They just released a schedule, I will try to find it.

Ah ha, here is a perfect link for you.
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ballpar ... _tours.jsp
TB#1
Banned User

Post#78 » by TB#1 » Mon Mar 3, 2008 10:45 pm

Just goes to show you when it comes to indivdual preference for Chicago pizza joints, there just is no consensus. I had a quick trip to chicago over the weekend to see my parents (who both like Giordano's, by the way). I noticed that one of the neighborhood pizza places was gone and replaced by a Lou Malnati's carry out.

Both of my parents (seperately) told me what lousy pizza they thought Lou's had.

Given the unbridled love for Malnati's on this thread, I just had to laugh.

We got a thin crust sausage and mushroom from Ledos in Countryside. It was delicious.
Art Vandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#79 » by Art Vandelay » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:58 pm

Has anyone brought up Pequod's Pizza yet tin this thread? My favorite deep dish in the city, I would say. Everyone I have ever taken there pretty much ends up agreeing with me.

Also: Kuma's Corner has the best hamburgers I have had in the city BY FAR. Not sure if anyone here has brought that place up, but if you ever want a really good burger and beer, Kuma's is the place.
TB#1
Banned User

Post#80 » by TB#1 » Tue Mar 4, 2008 2:24 pm

Yeah, Grand.Champ is apparently Pequod's #1 fan. Kuma's is new to the list and here is a link.

Kumas

Return to Chicago Bulls