ImageImageImage

Rip's elbow

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#21 » by meatball sub » Thu May 29, 2008 5:03 am

Nobody **** with the Jesus.
Joselo16
Veteran
And1: 16

Post#22 » by Joselo16 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:05 am

That should be a suspension it wasn't unintentional he clearly had his hand around Ray's throat for the entire possession.
You have just been Perk'd!!!
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Rocky5000 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:09 am

According to CSN, he can't untie his shoes, or button his shirt, and had to leave with his arm in a sling. X-Rays were negative, but there's a good chance that his SHOOTING arm is going to swell way up.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#24 » by ParticleMan » Thu May 29, 2008 5:16 am

LMAO. how much of a wuss do you have to be to hyperextend your elbow while trying to choke someone?

i hate to revel in other people's misfortune but Rip has really lost of lot of my respect this series. If he played clean he would be horrible. I was always amazed how he suddenly became a "good defender" after he joined the Pistons after being one of the worst defensive 2's in the league, but all he really did was become a dirty player.
thefoulness
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by thefoulness » Thu May 29, 2008 5:23 am

Rip is not a dirty player, that's garbage talk.

Rip is a menace is what he is, he plays hard as anybody, is a near impossible cover, a killer shot, and has even been playing strong defense on Allen for sure but also Pierce today (!) and D has never been his strong suit. It still ain't, but he's working his butt off on the defensive end, you have to give him that.

Hamilton is the Pistons best, most consistent player IMO. Billups is super-inconsistent, and Rasheed is hugely talented but simply doesn't give the Pistons what they desperately need - scoring in the post - even though he could if he tried.

Rip Hamilton is a real pain in the arse if he's your opponent.

And yes, he's been uber-handsy, has pushed and clawed and shoved.

But that's what Rip gets paid for.

Great player. Worthy opponent. Champion.

It was nice to see Ray Allen finally get over on him tonight.

Rondo, keep finding Ray for those transition threes!
Joselo16
Veteran

Post#26 » by Joselo16 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:31 am

Are you going to defend that choke job? How about the elbow he threw at Garnett in the first game? Also most of the confrontations on the court have involved him. Those types of plays are my definition of dirty players. I wouldn't mind if he played hard as long as it was clean, something he hasn't been at least in this series (i don't watch many piston games).
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#27 » by mr_sunshine » Thu May 29, 2008 5:32 am

Rip is a bitch. I've hated him since his days at UConn. I hope he tries to play and puts up a stinker. That was a pathetic play by him, and he got what was coming to him.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,757

Post#28 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu May 29, 2008 5:39 am

This is the playoffs, people. Hamilton is playing playoffs basketball. If he was a Celtic we would be dancing in excitement like little girls for his play.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#29 » by tlee324 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:43 am

I wouldn't condone Ray Allen choking Rip, honestly. This is complete BS, IMO. But I guess this is what Detroit Piston Basketball has gained its reputation from back in the late 90's. It's not real basketball, in my opinion. And I like Rip's game, one of the best mid-range jumpers of all time, but his antics are garbage....
Joselo16
Veteran

Post#30 » by Joselo16 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:46 am

I would feel good about the team winning but I wouldn't applaud a player like him. Playoff basketball is about tough plays, not dirty ones and that was a dirty play. The bitch got what he deserved!!!
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#31 » by GuyClinch » Thu May 29, 2008 5:56 am

This is the playoffs, people. Hamilton is playing playoffs basketball. If he was a Celtic we would be dancing in excitement like little girls for his play.

We all know YOU would but I think his play absolutely crosses the line. Who on the C's plays dirty like that?
Joselo16
Veteran

Post#32 » by Joselo16 » Thu May 29, 2008 6:11 am

Posey has had some incidents of dirty plays when he was with The Heat, but none with the C's. Cassell also fouled Rondo this season, which seemed dirty. Besides that I don't know what other players on the C's have played dirty like Bitch Hamilton. They still don't compare to actually chocking a player on the court.
thefoulness
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by thefoulness » Thu May 29, 2008 6:18 am

BadMuthaCeltic wrote:I wouldn't condone Ray Allen choking Rip, honestly. This is complete BS, IMO. But I guess this is what Detroit Piston Basketball has gained its reputation from back in the late 90's. It's not real basketball, in my opinion. And I like Rip's game, one of the best mid-range jumpers of all time, but his antics are garbage....

This is just reactionary nutty talk.

Rip plays hard. Period. And the only choking that's happened to Ray Allen this series was the self-inflicted kind.

Rip Hamilton isn't close to a dirty player. He's just fast and plays more physical than say Ray Allen would like. But that's because he's really, really good.

Bill Lambeer and Rick Mahorn. Those were dirty players.

Raja Bell. That's a dirty player.

Posey. When he wants. He can play nice and dirty.

But Rip ain't in those guys class. If Rip is really getting to ya'll, it's because you're soft.

Fortunately, the Lakers are soft, too. If we can win one more...
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#34 » by TheSheriff » Thu May 29, 2008 6:21 am

thefoulness wrote:Rip is not a dirty player, that's garbage talk.

This is the guy who nearly took KGs head off with an elbow. The guy who chocked Ray Allen. They guy clutches and grabs his man on every possession. The only garbage is Hamilton's "defense."
Joselo16
Veteran

Post#35 » by Joselo16 » Thu May 29, 2008 6:25 am

Please watch the video and pay attention to rips skinny fingers around Ray Allens throat.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280528002

if you don't think thats a choke, then you need to get your eyes checked.
thefoulness
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by thefoulness » Thu May 29, 2008 6:26 am

A little school for the kids who don't know the difference between Junior High Ball and the NBA:

Clutching and grabbing is playoff basketball.

Taking a guys legs out while he's going for a dunk is dirty basketball.

Clotheslining someone a la McHale/Rambis or Raja Bell/Kobe, that's dirty basketball.

Playing handsies with Ray Allen as you try to get open like Rip Hamilton does is called GETTING OPEN.

Ray Allen was not choked. If you want to know choked, check out what Dr. J. tried to do to Larry Bird back in the day. That's a choke.

Maybe Rip gets away with a lot of touch fouls that you would rather be called if you're a Celtics fan. In that case, you should be complaining that Rip gets away with fouls.

But getting away with fouls is called GOOD BASKETBALL.

Getting away with fouls is not dirty play.

Ya'll need to learn the difference between tough play and dirty play.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#37 » by GreenGrizz » Thu May 29, 2008 6:28 am

Vince Mchanon would love to sign him.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#38 » by TheSheriff » Thu May 29, 2008 6:31 am

thefoulness wrote:
BadMuthaCeltic wrote:I wouldn't condone Ray Allen choking Rip, honestly. This is complete BS, IMO. But I guess this is what Detroit Piston Basketball has gained its reputation from back in the late 90's. It's not real basketball, in my opinion. And I like Rip's game, one of the best mid-range jumpers of all time, but his antics are garbage....

This is just reactionary nutty talk.

Rip plays hard. Period. And the only choking that's happened to Ray Allen this series was the self-inflicted kind.

Rip Hamilton isn't close to a dirty player. He's just fast and plays more physical than say Ray Allen would like. But that's because he's really, really good.

Bill Lambeer and Rick Mahorn. Those were dirty players.

Raja Bell. That's a dirty player.

Posey. When he wants. He can play nice and dirty.

But Rip ain't in those guys class. If Rip is really getting to ya'll, it's because you're soft.

Fortunately, the Lakers are soft, too. If we can win one more...

Rip isn't the Bill Lambeer tackle you from behind while you are in the air on a layup dirty. He is the hold your jersey, jab you in the stomach with an elbow, knee you in the groin when the refs aren't looking sneaky kind of dirty. That is frustrating kind of dirty because it is not causing people to go flying or fall down, so it is less likely to be called. KG is the most intense guy in the NBA and one of the best defenders. How many guys has he throttled this year? What Rip does isn't defense it is assault and battery.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#39 » by GuyClinch » Thu May 29, 2008 6:35 am

Clutching and grabbing is playoff basketball.

Sorry dude. Your not the god of basketball. If it's a foul in the NBA rule book it's a foul in the playoffs and it's a foul in pre-season.

Read the rules:

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_12.ht ... rticleList

a. A player shall not hold, push, charge into, impede the progress of an oppo-nent by extending a hand, forearm, leg or knee or by bending the body into a posi-tion that is not normal. Contact that results in the re-routing of an opponent is a foul which must be called immediately.
b. Contact initiated by the defensive player guarding a player with the ball is not legal. This contact includes, but is not limited to, forearm, hands, or body check.
EXCEPTIONS:
(1) A defender may apply contact with a forearm to an offensive player with the ball who has his back to the basket below the free throw line extend-ed outside the Lower Defensive Box.
(2) A defender may apply contact with a forearm and/or one hand with a bent elbow to an offensive player in a post-up position with the ball in the Lower Defensive Box.
(3) A defender may apply contact with a forearm to an offensive player with the ball at any time in the Lower Defensive Box. The forearm in the above exceptions is solely for the purpose of main-taining a defensive position.
(4) A defender may position his leg between the legs of an offensive player in a post-up position in the Lower Defensive Box for the purpose of main-taining defensive position. If his foot leaves the floor in an attempt to dis-lodge his opponent, it is a foul immediately.
(5) Incidental contact with the hand against an offensive player shall be ignored if it does not affect the player's speed, quickness, balance and/or rhythm.

Rip fouls people - end of story.

Pete
thefoulness
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by thefoulness » Thu May 29, 2008 6:37 am

That's just soft, saying what Rip does is assault and battery.

It's huge exaggeration. Chickenhawk hyperbole.

And a total misreading of the way basketball has always been.

It's a contact sport.

Teams who play physical win championships.

Rip Hamilton is a championship player.

Calling him dirty is just ugly sour grapes.

Return to Boston Celtics