ImageImage

Official Bucks Player Workout Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#61 » by bigkurty » Sat Jun 7, 2008 3:06 am

Wise1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, we know that both Randolph and Alexander are in the running or else Hammond wouldn't have brought them in. I see Randolph as a taller, longer Tayshaun Prince. If Randolph can play the 3 at 6'11, he's easily the pick between the two. I don't know if anyone (executives) has Alexandar rated higher than Randolph....just going by where many are projecting the two.

I'm drooling over the prospect of having a 6'11 guy that can handle it, shoot it and defend at the 3 playing next to a 7'1 pf (Yi) and a 7'0 center (Bogut). With Skiles at the helm, the defense up front would be much improved. Randolph may or may not take a year or two to develop fully, but he's certainly worth the wait with those measurables of his and the skill set. Same holds true for Yi who many are too quick to give up on as well.

I like Alexander a lot. Powerful athlete, but not as skilled as Randolph. I want the Bucks to trade for a second lottery pick so that they'd have an opportunity to draft 2 of Randolph, Westbrook and Alexander. If Love dropped, he'd be one of my guys as well.

I am completely on the same page as you. I agree with everything in this post. Thanks for saving me the time of typing it out. :D
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#62 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jun 7, 2008 3:58 am

Randolph is going to eventually be a PF. There isn't a doubt in my mind.

Defensively, there isn't a chance he can hang with NBA SFs. James, Anthony, Iguodala, Jefferson, Smith, Butler, Howard, Prince, Maggette, Miller, Wallace, Deng, Artest...forget about it. He simply doesn't have the lateral quickness. Right now he's a tall, rail-thin PF.

His best chance is to make it as a perimeter based PF, but his shot isn't there yet.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#63 » by europa » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:32 am

carmelbrownqueen wrote:I think Mbah a Moute could get a serious look (depending on how he looked in his workout) from Hammond in the second round. He seems like a Skiles type of player.

This sounds familiar, huh sis? ;)

It's hard for me to get on board with Randolph. He's just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thin. I'm not sure he has the skill set to play SF. If he can show those types of skills, his weight will become less of an issue. But if he projects out as a PF, his weight suddenly becomes a major issue - just like Brandon Wright last year.

Can someone refresh my memory - how did Randolph test in terms of strength?

I'm not sure what to make of Alexander. Given what else is on the board at 8, I wouldn't be all that displeased with him there. I like his athleticism and he plays with toughness, another good quality.
Nothing will not break me.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#64 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:34 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Randolph was out at the Capital Grill last night with Scott Skiles, Kelvin Sampson and other members of the Bucks staff (who I would suspect to be Hammond and Babcock, but the coaches were the only two positively ID'd to me). All I know is they racked up a huge bill and Skiles ordered multiple bottles of fine wine.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#65 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:38 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Randolph was out at the Capital Grill last night with Scott Skiles, Kelvin Sampson and other members of the Bucks staff (who I would suspect to be Hammond and Babcock, but the coaches were the only two positively ID'd to me). All I know is they racked up a huge bill and Skiles ordered multiple bottles of fine wine.

Great info! Thanks for the scoop CD!

Get the prospect liquored up. Find out what's going on in his head. That's a filthy, dirty tactic and I'm glad my favorite team is doing it.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#66 » by worthlessBucks » Sat Jun 7, 2008 5:19 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Randolph was out at the Capital Grill last night with Scott Skiles, Kelvin Sampson and other members of the Bucks staff (who I would suspect to be Hammond and Babcock, but the coaches were the only two positively ID'd to me). All I know is they racked up a huge bill and Skiles ordered multiple bottles of fine wine.

Interesting information, Randolph isn't 21 though :D

If Randolph is the pick, I'd assume that Redd is shipped out for another pick and whatever young filler goes with that. Randolph is just too young and he doesn't make much sense if Hammond & company continue to preach the 'win now' slogan. Randolph lacks strength and I'm not sure how much he'll be able to contribute next year so you might as well just go entirely young by dealing Redd. That's just how I'd see it if Randolph was the pick.
Go Bucks!
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#67 » by worthlessBucks » Sat Jun 7, 2008 5:24 am

I'm a little disappointed that there's no video from the workout available. The interviews and Bucks trivia do not do much for me.
Go Bucks!
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#68 » by El Duderino » Sat Jun 7, 2008 8:33 am

DrugBust wrote:Randolph is going to eventually be a PF. There isn't a doubt in my mind.

Defensively, there isn't a chance he can hang with NBA SFs. James, Anthony, Iguodala, Jefferson, Smith, Butler, Howard, Prince, Maggette, Miller, Wallace, Deng, Artest...forget about it. He simply doesn't have the lateral quickness. Right now he's a tall, rail-thin PF.

His best chance is to make it as a perimeter based PF, but his shot isn't there yet.

6'11 200 pounds is just so thin

I didn't watch LSU play a single game, so i cant comment on him as a player at all, but it's hard to get excited about drafting such an extreme toothpick that needs to play PF and bang with men who can toss him around like a rag doll.
Debit One
Starter
And1: 84

Post#69 » by Debit One » Sat Jun 7, 2008 8:40 am

El Duderino wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

6'11 200 pounds is just so thin

I didn't watch LSU play a single game, so i cant comment on him as a player at all, but it's hard to get excited about drafting such an extreme toothpick that needs to play PF and bang with men who can toss him around like a rag doll.

Agreed. I much prefer Alexander (who I did see and who impressed me) to Randolph.

Look at these stats for Randolph:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36181

And compare them to Alexander:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=27301

Alexander is a better outside shooter, has a far better Assist/TO ratio, and has a much better NBA body. I know that people read about Randolph and want to think that he's the next Tayshaun Prince, but if he cannot shoot from outside, doesn't handle the ball well, and isn't strong what at all can he do for you on offense?
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#70 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sat Jun 7, 2008 9:40 am

Thank you...
I am sure CBQ married into the Jsonline family.She always seems to throw their 'propaganda' up in a thread with no fail.

Bless her heart....

But I digress. Much obliged to you both. You are what makes RealGm a pleasure to visit and interact therein.

Now to the workouts. I learned many things somewhat. First when Skiles was asked if any of these guys reminded him or compared with Loul Deng or Shawn Marion, Skiles as was I was dumfounded and startled fielding the query, but flatly and curtly answered, NO.

I like Skiles already. Now, none of these guys from what I gather is worth
the selection at #8 if the Bucks keep it if I am reading John Hammond as I think.

His comment, "all this proves is that we will get a good player at #8 if we keep it" is that he does not see any of these guys as worth the #8th pick but are good fallback picks later on if I may paraphase his comments.

They seem to me from what I gather very raw. I am also intrigued by what the Bucks had them working on. A couple players had them going through 3 on 3 situations and not so much shooting as Alexander said which tells me they are looking for thinkers and those who can flow and react in a team concept. A cerebral player who recognizes various situations on the floor.

Very good. This Bucks team I said many times was not a very mentally tough nor mentally sharp team in knowing situations in games and sets and the best players have no winning basketball IQ (Mo, CVill, Redd) whatsover to win consistently.

One thing I liked about both Skiles' Bulls teams and his Suns' team and of course Hammond's Pistons is they beat you with their head and heart as well as their skill and team synergy.

Ok. I know this is long but I will give a brief rundown on the players I had heared from.

Donte' Greene:I am gonna like this kid. HE can ball. There is something about him I like in how he plays, but I can't put my finger on it yet but I will.
He reminds me or someone that I thought was a good player but that is not gonna get us a ring.
A tease talent. Broad shoulders and will fill out. Bucks will have to do their due diligence with him in a background check to make sure they do not miss out on another Carmelo Anthony type guy.
He can be that good down the road. Has passion for the game from I saw at Sycracuse but needed to see him another year.
Definitely should have stayed in school cerebrally to mature his game. A kid that does not yet know hard work and you will have to stay on him.

I would move down and target him. But now that I think about it I might like Brandon Rush and Darrell Arthur as well if not better in the 12-19 range. We'll see.

Randolph: Pass...If you are gonna keep CVill or Yi. Pass on him. A 6'11 beanpole. Does not have the toughness we need. Move on...

Alexander: Hm...said the right things. Hard worker it looks like. Athletic and cerebral. Knows what Skiles wanted or so he said...If he can play for Huggins he can play for Skiles. Of all of them he would be a safe pick.
But if we keep the pick, and stay with the philosophy of taking the best player availible, (which I do not understand what that means really...)I would go with a guard and Eric Gordon if he is there because none of these guys will be better then him.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior

Post#71 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sat Jun 7, 2008 10:00 am

Late first or early in the 2nd round if we have a pick or multiple ones we can get another Chauncey Billups in two guys I like:

Jamont Gordon of Mississippi State
Mike Singletary in Virginia

Two straight up warriors! Hear me! These three who worked out for the Bobcats are guys I wish the Bucks would bring in.

Especially DeMarcus Nelson of DUKE and Gordon. Mark my words. Both will make very good Pro's either in the NBA or NBDL if they get drafted by a team with a logjam at their positions and have to work their way into the league.

But you heard it here first, all 3 will make excellent Pro's with some work.
Especially Nelson if he can get his jumper and mid-range game going because this kid can play some great defense.

A better version or more athletic of Chris Duhon and Chris Carrawell from the Duke pedigree. Love this guys' motor and toughness and his
ability to attack.

Once he graps the NBA game and its pace and flow and understand his place in a team system he will thrive but so will Singeltary. Just a very good battler and leader.

Jamont is off the chain as a hard worker and is a thinking man's player. HE can do it all.

These are guys to target later on...keep an eye on them.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior

Post#72 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sat Jun 7, 2008 10:24 am

Wise1 wrote:Nice crop of guys. Obviously John has brought over his love for size and length from the Pistons.

Randolph remains my favorite at 8 with Westbrook being second. I like Joe Alexandar as well, but I'd be displeased if we drafted him over Randolph and Westbrook

Goodness would I love to pick up the Knicks pick at 6. Westbrook and Randolph.
What do we need with Westbrook so high!? He is not that good...

I would go for Eric Gordon and or Donte Greene or Joe Alexander.

And look at Jamont Gordon or DeMarcus Nelson later on over Westbrook.

Devon Hardin or and 4 year guy Roy Hibbert are good locks to back up Bogut. Darrell Arthur is a sleeper...

Love Roy Hibbert. Go check out his interview with Jazz. Very very sharp young man.

Any guy from Georgetown has their heads on straight and are defensive minded and are mental tough and smart players from a very good and structured offense and disciplined team.

Roy Hibbert if he goes to the right team, (and he would love to go to the Jazz) would be awesome. HE wants to go to a team with structure and a solid foundation and loves how they play as do I.

Not afraid to be coached and mentored along with "older players and vets." He is very respectful and cognizant of the growing process of the league and is very mature and well spoken, giving thought to what he is saying.

A student of the game and watches game film of Carlos Boozer and his low post arsenal.

I would take Hibbert all day long... :nod:
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior

Post#73 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sat Jun 7, 2008 10:41 am

MFScho wrote:I'm a little disappointed that there's no video from the workout available, the interviews and Bucks trivia doesn't do much for me.
Scott Skiles probaly wants Randolph to counter LSU Tyrus Thomas.
He probaly likes Randolph over Tyrus Thomas who he had in Chicago.

You all who think he can't play SF and is too rail thin and has no lateral quickness are just plain foolish. Get a grip! Yes he does have lateral quickness.

(Drugbust) that is you! Comeon now!!! Yes he can!!! And it is all about his length and wingspan!

Prince is not quick laterally either and yet he knows the angles and how to position himself.

Prince was skinny too coming out of college and goofy looking. But look at him.

The Bucks' are bluffing....
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#74 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:29 pm

MFScho wrote:I'm a little disappointed that there's no video from the workout available, the interviews and Bucks trivia doesn't do much for me.
I am also disappointed in the lack of video footage from the workout. According to Bucks.com, that was again going to be part of the coverage this year, and since they are doing fewer workouts it would be nice to see at least a little something from it.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#75 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:33 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This sounds familiar, huh sis? ;)

It's hard for me to get on board with Randolph. He's just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thin. I'm not sure he has the skill set to play SF. If he can show those types of skills, his weight will become less of an issue. But if he projects out as a PF, his weight suddenly becomes a major issue - just like Brandon Wright last year.

Can someone refresh my memory - how did Randolph test in terms of strength?

I'm not sure what to make of Alexander. Given what else is on the board at 8, I wouldn't be all that displeased with him there. I like his athleticism and he plays with toughness, another good quality.
Yeah, I have learned very quickly to expect the unexpected with Hammond, however I still struggle with the ideal that Randolph might be our target in this draft. Seems like he is going to be more of a project rather than a guy that can contribute right away.. and I see us more focusing on guys that can come in and give a little something early on. Body wise Randolph and Brandan Wright are ridiculously equal right now.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 415

Post#76 » by smauss » Sat Jun 7, 2008 5:44 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, I have learned very quickly to expect the unexpected with Hammond, however I still struggle with the ideal that Randolph might be our target in this draft. Seems like he is going to be more of a project rather than a guy that can contribute right away.. and I see us more focusing on guys that can come in and give a little something early on. Body wise Randolph and Brandan Wright are ridiculously equal right now.

Just to thin for my liking. I don't think he can handle the 3 either. Everyone thats thin, around 7' and shoots jumpers is going to be the next Bosh. We currently have two of them, I don't want another. Just my opinion........

From the data I've seen, I'd prefer Alexander but whatever Hammond and his buds prefer is alright with me.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
europa
RealGM

Post#77 » by europa » Sat Jun 7, 2008 6:05 pm

smauss wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Just to thin for my liking. I don't think he can handle the 3 either. Everyone thats thin, around 7' and shoots jumpers is going to be the next Bosh. We currently have two of them, I don't want another. Just my opinion........

Yea it'd be nice if the Bucks could get a prototypical PF one of these days - even if it's only as a backup. A physical player who defends and rebounds and brings quality size and strength to the position would be a very nice thing for this team to have in my opinion. I don't see Randolph being that player.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#78 » by crkone » Sat Jun 7, 2008 6:18 pm

We need a PJ Brown or McDyess.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,676

Post#79 » by msiris » Sat Jun 7, 2008 6:23 pm

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yea it'd be nice if the Bucks could get a prototypical PF one of these days - even if it's only as a backup. A physical player who defends and rebounds and brings quality size and strength to the position would be a very nice thing for this team to have in my opinion. I don't see Randolph being that player.
Why cant Randolph play SF? Prince is only 15 lbs more.
Ride the tank
europa
RealGM

Post#80 » by europa » Sat Jun 7, 2008 6:35 pm

msiris wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why cant Randolph play SF? Prince is only 15 lbs more.

I didn't see him play a lot but what I saw of him he strikes me as being a PF at this level. I'm not sure he has the perimeter game to play a wing position. I don't question his athletic ability and he clearly would bring plenty of height but I'm not sure his game projects out to be a SF based on what I saw. Maybe those who have seen him more can provide some more insight?

Whenever I did see him I just kept going back to how incredibly thin he is. And I tend to worry about thin players at that height unless they are blessed with standout offensive skills and Randolph doesn't possess standout offensive skills at the present time in my opinion.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks