Official Arsenal FC Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 928

Official Arsenal FC Thread 

Post#1 » by kdawg32086 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:47 pm

Since we've had a pretty large showing of Arsenal support in the past on this board, I figured it would be good to start a thread for it. So far, it looks like we're gonna be making some big changes this season.

Out:
Jens Lehmann
Mathieu Flamini

In:
Aaron Ramsey
Samir Nasri

Adebayor and Hleb are also rumored to be leaving. And I guess Arsene has had his eye on Arda Turan from Turkey and Andrei Arshavin of Russia while at Euro. If we lose Adebayor, then I'd like to see Arshavin become a gunner. If we sell Adebayor at all, I have to think it will be once Eduardo comes back, since we'd be left with only RVP, Bendtner, and Vela for awhile.

Anyone else excited about Vela? I pretty much consider him coming back from lone as a transfer and I can't wait to see what he adds to our team.

Goalkeeper seems to be the position where everything is confused. Arsene came out and said that Almunia will be our #1 and that Fabianski is gonna be his backup, yet he made a bid for Jussi Jaaskelianen earlier this month. And who will be the #3 now that Lehmann is gone?

I'm thinking our starting lineup will look like this once the season starts.

Almunia
Sagna Toure Gallas Clichy
Eboue Fabregas Diaby Rosicky
RVP Adebayor
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Re: Arsenal FC 

Post#2 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:18 am

everyones making these threads. Any other Real Madrid fans in Realgm land?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,412

Post#3 » by Slava » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:17 am

Good luck with Nasri. Seems like an amazing player if he realizes his potential and must be fun to watch in Wenger's style offensive scheme.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
wilt
Analyst
And1: 147

Post#4 » by wilt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:37 pm

Roman Pavlyuchenko would be a good replacement for Adebayor, Arshavin wouldn´t work all that great with Arsenal and how they play, imo, as he´s an explosive guy that likes to come from nowhere and then fill the gaps and i don´t see that possible with Arsenal and their current personal. Then again i never thought Hleb could adjust and yet he did. I´d definitely have a hard time seeing him as the "main striker" like Adebayor.
Pavlyuchenko on the other hand i could see playing that role. Dunno if he´d really make it in England, but his style of play would fit well with Arsenal imo.

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Slava » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:15 am

Arshavin is going to Barcelona. I'd put money on it and pay out my university fees. :lol:
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#6 » by GS Warriors 1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:35 am

Eboue on the wing? Ick. He's much better at RB but Sagna is better than him. I think Eboue should be a sub that can play RB if needed and also spell on the wing. Arsenal could use another wing player.

I wouldn't mind a Turan signing as Arshavin seems to want Spain but that would be some catch for Wenger.
kromoszoma
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#7 » by kromoszoma » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:13 pm

wilt wrote:Roman Pavlyuchenko would be a good replacement for Adebayor, Arshavin wouldn´t work all that great with Arsenal and how they play, imo, as he´s an explosive guy that likes to come from nowhere and then fill the gaps and i don´t see that possible with Arsenal and their current personal. Then again i never thought Hleb could adjust and yet he did. I´d definitely have a hard time seeing him as the "main striker" like Adebayor.
Pavlyuchenko on the other hand i could see playing that role. Dunno if he´d really make it in England, but his style of play would fit well with Arsenal imo.

I don't really know what you're talking about. We play fast, Arshavin would be amazing for us. Imagine the through balls he'd get from Cesc...He'll probably be good wherever he ends up, but he'd be great on this team. I don't think he'd be a striker, we were the best when we had fast and creative wingers like Ljungberg and Pires (and him). His stock is so high now that I don't see us getting him though.
kromoszoma
Rookie

Post#8 » by kromoszoma » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:14 pm

Our third keeper will be Vito Mannone. And I don't think the Nasri deal has been confirmed yet.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by kdawg32086 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:50 pm

I guess Wenger likes playing Eboue in midfield so we'll see what happens. And its good to see that we're gonna give Vito Mannone a shot. As much as I was against getting rid of Adebayor, the more I look at it, we need to sell him while his stock is higher than ever. Get the cash and then bring in a world class winger.
kromoszoma
Rookie

Post#10 » by kromoszoma » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:08 pm

But then we won't have a world class striker. Unless you count RVP, but he's made of glass.
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#11 » by Alex_De_Large » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:53 pm

Happy about the Nasri-Hleb change, Hleb is the better player for now but Nasri will shine and be better in only 2 years, promising talent and with Wenger can only be better.

But i'am worried about the Flamini exit. Arsenal need a DM, Denilson and Diaby are not enough and don't even play that role.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by kdawg32086 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:30 pm

I didn't think Flamini was ever really that good, so I don't think he's gonna be very hard to replace. And we still have Gilberto Silva. We're about to start a huge chain reaction of transfers in Europe once Hleb transfers to Bayern.
Joga_Bonito
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#13 » by Joga_Bonito » Sun Jul 6, 2008 8:46 am

Just some random thoughts
- I hope that...Walcott scores more than 10 goals
- Van Persie does not miss a lot of games like he usually does
- Eduardo gets back to his old form
- Im not a fan of Eboue and Senderos
- We need a vet and one that has quality cause we have too many "kids"
- Im excited to watch Carlos Vela and Nasri
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Slava » Sun Jul 6, 2008 10:16 pm

Vela and Nasri are a nice combo to get but any additions to the defense and Flamini's departure also leaves a big void in central defense unless you want Gilberto to fill in and he looked too old during last season.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#15 » by BlackMamba » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:19 pm

give vela some time and i can guarantee you he will shine. henry said that he could accomplish at least what he did for the gunners. i hope so.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by kdawg32086 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:54 pm

So apparently, Emirates cost us so much, that we're in a big financial hole. We need a surplus of 24€ mil per year for the next 17 years to pay for it. I think we should sell off Adebayor since we can prob get 25-30 for him in transfer fees. Best way I can see to not have to sell off any of the other good players.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by kdawg32086 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:00 pm

Aliaksandar Hleb set to move to Barcelona either this week or next week according to fox soccer. To me, it looks like his transfer funds will be used to secure Samir Nasri, who is still expected to sign within a week.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Slava » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:22 am

Well I never really understood why they moved away from Highbury but the reported deficit is quite a financial hole to be in. May be the DIC takeover is still an option for them.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#19 » by El Turco » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:39 am

they werent maximizing their profit potential in highbury. They should be fine in couple years with sponsorship money from Emirates and Delaware North along with renting the stadium for special events.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#20 » by J.Kim » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:56 pm

New Arsenal Kit for 08/09 for at least 2 more years.

Home looks decent. Away looks ugly. Very ugly.
They're also keeping last year's Aways as a European away (Away matches in CL)

Return to The General Soccer Board