Young vs Cutler vs Lienart 

Post#1 » by JoeyH » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:37 am

discuss...
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#2 » by likwitdesi » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:22 am

Give an opinion 1st.

I am going to go with Leinart. Whisenhunt is great at working with young QBs (Roethlisberger). I feel Leinart will be better with a full offseason knowing he will be the starter. With a running game next season (hopefully), there will not be so much pressure on him either.

I feel Cutler will be good but you have to remember part of his performance last season came from him being on an established team with veterans who don't make many mistakes.

I think Young is going to be the worst of these three. He is already being overrated. The biggest reason for the Titans' run in the final weeks was PacMan, who was a total gamebreaker (how many TDs did he score?). Young still does not have a very good receiver corps at the moment either (unless they take Jarrett or Meachem).
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,880
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#3 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:56 am

I would have gone with Young before the draft, and that's who I wanted on my team.(thought we had no shot at Reggie)

Vince didn't do anything to change my mind so I will stick with it.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#4 » by MHZ » Mon Apr 2, 2007 6:03 am

I'll give my biased pick to Cutler. First of all, he has the best team, which helps him be more successful. Second of all, the dude's got the physical skills as far as arm strength that the other two lack. Obviously VY's athleticism gives him another dimension, but look at Michael Vick's struggles.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,348

Post#5 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:06 am

All 3 guys are quite good. I am absolutely intrigued by Young right now, at the same time Michael Vick casts such a shadow that I'm most sold on Leinart right now.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#6 » by J.Kim » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:15 pm

likwitdesi wrote:Give an opinion 1st.

I am going to go with Leinart. Whisenhunt is great at working with young QBs (Roethlisberger). I feel Leinart will be better with a full offseason knowing he will be the starter. With a running game next season (hopefully), there will not be so much pressure on him either.

I feel Cutler will be good but you have to remember part of his performance last season came from him being on an established team with veterans who don't make many mistakes.

I think Young is going to be the worst of these three. He is already being overrated. The biggest reason for the Titans' run in the final weeks was PacMan, who was a total gamebreaker (how many TDs did he score?). Young still does not have a very good receiver corps at the moment either (unless they take Jarrett or Meachem).

You're right in saying that Young is being heavily overrated right now...

But, you're not giving enough credit for the rest of the team. I'd say the reason for Young's success relied more on the fact that the Offensive Line looked pretty good in the last half of the season. Michael Roos was becoming the LT that we were envisioning him of becoming, David Stewart filled in very nicely at RT, and the rest of the line played pretty solid throughout the year, especially Kevin Mawae, who looked to be back in shape after his injury riddled 2005 season.

A lot of Young's success relied on the fact that the O-Line gave him enough time to go through his readings, and make a decision to pass or run, towards the second half of the season. I think you'll see much more of the same this year, except the defense will be bearing down on him because our Rushing offense has been marginalized, with the departure of Travis Henry.

Right now, what I'd rate the three QB's:

1. Matt Leinart
2. Vince Young
3. Jay Cutler

Matt Leinart takes the edge for now, as he's the most developed out of the three, and has the second most to work with, behind Jay Cutler.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#7 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:12 pm

I really like all three of them. And I think they all become successful QB's. If I had to pick one tho, I'm going Lienart. Doesn't hurt that he has some great weapons too.
blazersmaniac8
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#8 » by blazersmaniac8 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:10 am

Cutler is interesting but I'll take young for now but leinart I think will be better in the longrun.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#9 » by Wizards2Lottery » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:53 pm

Young might never have the flashy stats of Cutler and Leinart but hes a proven winner. The guy knows how to win.

Young for me.
Shzm13
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#10 » by Shzm13 » Sat Apr 7, 2007 7:23 am

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:Young might never have the flashy stats of Cutler and Leinart but hes a proven winner. The guy knows how to win.

Young for me.

Young won exactly one game for the Titans last year. (Houston.)
He didn't have a single 250+ yard passing game. Give me Leinart, he's a Tom Brady type player who will ultimately have a better career than Cutler and Young.

All are great players though.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#11 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Apr 7, 2007 2:50 pm

Nah. Young won a bunch of games for the Titans. Without him they don't win more than 4 games the entire season.
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Post#12 » by JaxMagic » Sat Apr 7, 2007 10:57 pm

Everytime I saw Vince Young play he looked terrible (two Jags games) and his stats do not look overly impressive either. I'd say Leinart is going to be the best of the three.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#13 » by J.Kim » Sun Apr 8, 2007 12:22 am

JayDubya wrote:Everytime I saw Vince Young play he looked terrible (two Jags games) and his stats do not look overly impressive either. I'd say Leinart is going to be the best of the three.

Well, those were his two worst games in the season.

At this point, however, I'd have to agree with you that Leinart looks like he'll be the best of the three. However, I'd like to think that Young has the highest ceiling out of the three of them.
Bow2Yao11
Veteran

Post#14 » by Bow2Yao11 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:02 am

Young will have the better career out of the 3. Nearly lead his team to the playoffs as a rookie.
John Wall>>>>>>>>>Ricky Rubio
rhino17
Junior

Post#15 » by rhino17 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:45 pm

VY
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#16 » by MHZ » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:25 pm

Bow2Yao11 wrote:Young will have the better career out of the 3. Nearly lead his team to the playoffs as a rookie.

Eh. Like any other QB, Young gets the too much credit/too much blame depending on how the team is doing. He made some plays, but when I watched him I just didn't see him as leading his team to wins. I just don't see much improvement coming from the guy's passing ability. I've been a naysayer from his early days at Texas and have been repeatedly been proven wrong by him, so my word is clearly worth a lot.
Nash 2x MVP
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by Nash 2x MVP » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:02 am

Lienart in the long run will have a better career than Young and Cutler..
Elway=GOAT
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#18 » by Elway=GOAT » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:29 am

J.Kim wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You're right in saying that Young is being heavily overrated right now...

But, you're not giving enough credit for the rest of the team. I'd say the reason for Young's success relied more on the fact that the Offensive Line looked pretty good in the last half of the season. Michael Roos was becoming the LT that we were envisioning him of becoming, David Stewart filled in very nicely at RT, and the rest of the line played pretty solid throughout the year, especially Kevin Mawae, who looked to be back in shape after his injury riddled 2005 season.

A lot of Young's success relied on the fact that the O-Line gave him enough time to go through his readings, and make a decision to pass or run, towards the second half of the season. I think you'll see much more of the same this year, except the defense will be bearing down on him because our Rushing offense has been marginalized, with the departure of Travis Henry.

Right now, what I'd rate the three QB's:

1. Matt Leinart
2. Vince Young
3. Jay Cutler

Matt Leinart takes the edge for now, as he's the most developed out of the three, and has the second most to work with, behind Jay Cutler.

Vince Young is currently the second most overrated player in the league. But I have to say, his impact this year was what Vick was his second year. It was huge. Just a diffrent type of player, can run like hell, very questionable passing game. But the impact was there.

But I have to say, as much as I cant stand the guy...Pacman Jones should of gotten MVP votes imo. He was the MVP of that team clearly. There were a terrible offense last year imo, but Young would do that 1-2 plays a game were you are like That **** just won the game right there. You look at that roster(atleast I did) and say, how do they not have the first overall pick...Big time overachieveing team.

My list:

1. Cutler
2. Young
3. Leinart

Now I think Leinart is the best "QB" he reminds me so much of Tom Brady(who I think is the best QB in the league). Dosent have the strongest arm, maybe not the most physically gifted, but damn does he get it done of the football field. So smart, so clutch everything you want in a Super Bowl QB. His down fall will be the Cardinals. As much as the Titans overachieved the Cards underachieved. The Cards have the worst owner in sports imo. He has no idea how to run a franchise. So Leinart will go down as one of the best leaders/football IQ QB's ever who had no great career accomplishments.

Young is the most physically all around QB of this group. But it depends on his developement as a player. He can actully learn to play the QB position, and get better at reads and checkoffs(ala Mcnab) Or he can take the Mike Vick route, and completely rely on his physical gifts rather than actully learning how to play the position. I think he will be somewhere in the middle.

Cutler is my choice, because he throws the best ball, by far. He is accurate and can gun it man. He isnt too bad of a physical freak himself, not on Young's ability (obviously). Hes not the most athletic, football IQ of the 3, but I think by the time his career is over barring injury, I think he will achieve so much more, and you can be certain the Broncos will get him talent.

Btw: I strongly dissagre that Cutler had more than Leinar. Leinart has all the skill players you want, running game, Passing game. There only downfall is the ability to block. Cutler at times player with alot, of backup Oline man. An aging rod smith, sketchy running game. I think they have addressed those problems this offseason.
Pierce 4 3
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by Pierce 4 3 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:33 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:Young might never have the flashy stats of Cutler and Leinart but hes a proven winner. The guy knows how to win.

Young for me.

Very true.
Elway=GOAT
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#20 » by Elway=GOAT » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Pierce 4 3 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Very true.

Leinart won more than Young in college. Leinart is probably the winningest(sp) in college football history.

Return to Player Comparisons