ImageImageImage

Devean George to the C's ?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Re: Devean George to the C's ? 

Post#21 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:42 pm

according to dannys interview id be surprised if we picked up george at this point. george appears to have a fork in his back anyway. not much of a factor in last years playoffs. i think id just assume stick with tony and even giddens at this point. i also want walker to make this team. i want him nearby so we can stay in control of his overall development and give him access to this core of guys so he can witness their work ethic and see what goes into being a championship team. and get a chance to learn from GPA. this is a great lockerroom to be in for a kid so lets use that as an asset, not waste it. give tony and jr at least half a season to see what they can contribute to the team. if there's a problem we can address it with our last rosterspot. if not we hold out for mourning.

I hope your right. I just don't want to see this Walker guy squeezed to Europe. I mean we already got screwed out of Summer League..

Pete
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#22 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Walker is hurt he couldn't have played in summer league and he is a question mark for Training camp. He is 19 years old with multiple knee injuries (two meniscus tears in his left and acl in his right) I find it odd that you would be a fan Pete.

He was supposed to have surgery in July so he could be ready to go. I am really high on the kid but I don't see anyway he is making the Boston Celtics this season. We may sign him but he is NBADL all the way.
GreenGrizz
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#23 » by GreenGrizz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:48 pm

Is Ainge trying to turn us into the Utah Jazz? Devean George doesn't make sense. I was always glad to see him stay away from the bench against us. I thought he was nothing.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#24 » by gocelts » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:46 am

I cant believe im about to suggest this, but from the little i saw from Geroge last year, I would almost rather give Scal a shot to earn some of his loot this year with those minutes.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#25 » by GuyClinch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:24 pm

Walker is hurt he couldn't have played in summer league and he is a question mark for Training camp. He is 19 years old with multiple knee injuries (two meniscus tears in his left and acl in his right) I find it odd that you would be a fan Pete.

Why? I always like athletes and guys with upside. Maybe you mean the gimpy knees - that's a concern but we aren't spending near max on him like we did with Wally. Not only that the fact that he is 19 with knee injuries is a plus not a minus. Younger athletes recover much better..for the most part.
ryaningf
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,738

Post#26 » by ryaningf » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:49 pm

sully00 wrote:Walker is hurt he couldn't have played in summer league and he is a question mark for Training camp. He is 19 years old with multiple knee injuries (two meniscus tears in his left and acl in his right) I find it odd that you would be a fan Pete.

He was supposed to have surgery in July so he could be ready to go. I am really high on the kid but I don't see anyway he is making the Boston Celtics this season. We may sign him but he is NBADL all the way.

I haven't heard any 'official' word, but assuming Walker gets signed, he should be healed by training camp. A mere two weeks after his latest arthroscopic surgery, he was back at Healthpoint, shooting jumpers and do light basketball drills. According to Scott Souza, he's been a fixture at Healthpoint, coming in everyday, getting his treatment, lifting, doing what basketball he's been cleared to engage in. And this all without a contract--obviously this kid is a hard worker and wants to make an impact next season.

I think you're right to an extent--he'll probably start the season on the inactive list and then go to the NBDL when it starts up (assuming we don't have injuries). But I think by the All-Star break, or shortly thereafter, he'll be rounding into form and may be given a chance at some point to play some meaningful minutes, depending on the team's overall health, and on how Tony and Giddens are handling the backup wing position. He has an outside shot at helping us next season because he plays a position a position of need and his NBA-ready body and lottery-type talent will be hard to turn down if we need another wing player.
The leaks are real...the news is fake.

I'm just here for the memes.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 293

Post#27 » by eitanr » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:02 pm

I don't think George would be bad here. I feel alone in that thought process. I do agree that I would rather take a flier on a Bonzi Wells or Quentin Ross, but George isn't terrible either. Allen is not the Posey replacement, but could get more minutes and help shorten the load on Ray Allen. If George is capable of playing the 3/4 like Posey he could be sufficient enough. He can knock down open threes and is a solid defender. I would also explore other options as well like Ricky Davis. I would definitley not settle on George at this point, but it wouldn't be awful like some suggest.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#28 » by sully00 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:04 pm

Like I said, I like Walker a lot just not for this year, and I don't think much of Giddens for this season either, but he at least has some more experience and age on his side. When we sucked Doc didn't want to play rookies, guys universally waited to mid season when they had a clue about defensive rotations and acting like a pro before they got mins. Now we are the world champs with few mins to play one of these guys if we wanted to.

If you want to look forward to what Gabe Pruitt might be able to do this season that makes some sense, but this team has Tony Allen and Eddie House to play SG behind Ray Allen. I don't think this team is going to be forced into playing a rookie in the backcourt, maybe he is that good, but he is going to have to be.

Return to Boston Celtics