The LA Clippers

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Re: The LA Clippers 

Post#41 » by BubbaTee » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:15 pm

One possession to get Camby a shot is getting him his touches? That's like a primadonna movie star who demands their trailer be stocked with tap water.

Also, since when did Karl not let any Nugget do anything they wanted on the court whenever they wanted? Because the George Karl who coached the Sonics would take one look at Denver's defense and beat today's George Karl about the head and neck with a baseball bat.
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#42 » by TAI8 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:27 pm

I was actually high on this team but that was when they still had him. As soon as Brand bolted for more money LA's playoff expectations went out the door with him.
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#43 » by elbowthrower » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:57 pm

BubbaTee wrote:One possession to get Camby a shot is getting him his touches? That's like a primadonna movie star who demands their trailer be stocked with tap water.

Also, since when did Karl not let any Nugget do anything they wanted on the court whenever they wanted? Because the George Karl who coached the Sonics would take one look at Denver's defense and beat today's George Karl about the head and neck with a baseball bat.

It was more than one possession. They'd let him shoot that 3-4 times a game.

And it doesn't mean Karl lets players do whatever they want (although many Nugs fans would say that's a good description of the offense)- Karl likes Camby so he was trying to throw him a bone.

By the way I've lived in Seattle since the Karl days and remember the old Karl well. He's a much different coach these days.

I don't hate Camby. He did a lot of good things in Denver, but now I'm kind of glad he's gone. And it won't be long before Clippers fans realize that he's not exactly what they're expecting. He's definitely not the guy who catapaults the organization into the playoffs.
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,158

Post#44 » by GuyverX » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:26 pm

elbowthrower wrote:He's definitely not the guy who catapaults the organization into the playoffs.

Perhaps not, but Baron Davis is.

And 3-4 shots is a lot? Are you kidding me? Clipper fans were used to Cassell pulling up with a jumper every other possession without anybody else touching the ball even when it was ill-advised. 3-4 shots for Camby is nothing. I can live with one Camby jumper per quarter. He'll get his mid range J when Kaman gets doubled on post-ups. There's no problem here.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#45 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:36 pm

To be a serious contender, the Clips need to try to pry Vince Carter away from the Nets. Mobley and Thomas could get it done.
Purpose
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#46 » by Purpose » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:31 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:To be a serious contender, the Clips need to try to pry Vince Carter away from the Nets. Mobley and Thomas could get it done.

And miss out on the 2010 FA Bonanza? NO THANKS!
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,468

Post#47 » by Ballings7 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:42 pm

I definitely think they have a good chance to make the playoffs, they have an above-average talent, skill level on their team on both ends, athletic, and have an underrated, quality coach in Dunleavy. They just need to stay healthy.

Title contender? No.

Playoff team? Quite possibly.

Playoff contender? Yes.

Do I like their playoff chances and think they're better than Denver (both healthy of course)? Absolutely.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#48 » by iamworthy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:15 pm

Wow....you guys came up with all of this from pre-season....lol.
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#49 » by ClipperDomination » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:25 am

Purpose wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:To be a serious contender, the Clips need to try to pry Vince Carter away from the Nets. Mobley and Thomas could get it done.

And miss out on the 2010 FA Bonanza? NO THANKS!

+1

The Clipps are not a championship contender.

The best I can see the Clipps doing is to exceed all expectations by grabbing the 6th seed. Probably won't happen, look for them to go after the 7-8 seed in the playoffs (if healthy). Baron played in all 82 games last season, which probably won't happen this year, but it does mean he has been as healthy as he's ever been in his veteran stage NBA career.

I would like to see a Lakers/Clippers 1st round matchup though. That would be entertaining to watch.
Mufasa
Pro Prospect

Post#50 » by Mufasa » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:29 am

You'd have to throw in Eric Gordon, but it'd probably be worth it. If you're stuck with Baron for the next 5 years, you might as well throw all your cards in. And it's not like Gordon is a future franchise guy or anything.
ClipperDomination
Veteran

Post#51 » by ClipperDomination » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:31 am

Mufasa wrote:

You'd have to throw in Eric Gordon, but it'd probably be worth it. If you're stuck with Baron for the next 5 years, you might as well throw all your cards in. And it's not like Gordon is a future franchise guy or anything.

...it's not like we can wait another season and then have a lot of cap room for the 2010 market either.

2010 FA Market > Trading for VC
Mufasa
Pro Prospect

Post#52 » by Mufasa » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:32 am

Clippers have no chance in 2010. Other teams have more space, and besides, with so many options (everyone is gunning for 2010), who the hell will choose to go join an aging Davis in Clipperland? And even if you get someone like... Joe Johnson, how is that any better than getting Carter now and teaming him with a still prime Davis and Camby, as opposed to an older Davis and no Camby.
GuyverX
Head Coach

Post#53 » by GuyverX » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:39 am

Mufasa wrote:Clippers have no chance in 2010. Other teams have more space

What teams are we talking about here? I hope you realize Camby, Mobley and Tim Thomas come off the books. The Clippers will have about $35 million in cap room in 2010. That's not enough to get somebody? Please....they may not have the most space but they are one of the top teams in terms of capspace in 2010.
ClipperDomination
Veteran

Post#54 » by ClipperDomination » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 am

^ Adding to that...

JJ + BD > VC + BD any day of the week.
A.J.
Banned User

Post#55 » by A.J. » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 am

They will contend for the 8th seed with the Mavericks.

If they were in the East they would contend for home court. Thats how hard it is in the West.
Mufasa
Pro Prospect

Post#56 » by Mufasa » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:50 am

I suppose I should've worded it more as "other teams have gargantuan space too and have a huge advantage over the Clippers because they're the Clippers" There's a 0% chance Lebron, Wade, or Bosh goes to the Clippers. Mark it down. It's not happening. From there you're looking at a Joe Johnson level all star, which won't do for you any more than trading for Carter now, especially with Davis being + 2 years and Camby being gone.

I think you guys just have bad luck, between Livingston's injury, Brand's Kayser Sose reveal, poor management... I'm not saying Carter will have a KG like impact on your team, but at this point I think it's the best option avaialble. A Davis/Carter/Thornton/Kaman/Camby starting 5 is pretty darn good. The bench would suck, but you could work on that for the next couple years.
Mufasa
Pro Prospect

Post#57 » by Mufasa » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:56 am

Actually I think the best option would be to dump Baron somehow and go with a full youth movement with Kaman, Thornton, Gordon, and lots of ping pong balls in the upcoming years, then use your capspace to get an all-star in 2010. If the next two lotteries were kind and gave you a superstar, there you go.

But as far as I know, the Clippers FO has no interest in giving away a money draw like Davis. The Brand situation really killed the Clips... if he just left without the Baron dupe, at least they could've sold themselves on going super young and spending a few more years in the lottery. But having Davis just = total mediocrity.
Mufasa
Pro Prospect

Post#58 » by Mufasa » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:20 am

Also let's not forget Camby's 10 mil expiring would be a real nice trading chip at the 2010 trade deadline and could add to the team.
GuyverX
Head Coach

Post#59 » by GuyverX » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 am

Mufasa wrote:But as far as I know, the Clippers FO has no interest in giving away a money draw like Davis. The Brand situation really killed the Clips... if he just left without the Baron dupe, at least they could've sold themselves on going super young and spending a few more years in the lottery. But having Davis just = total mediocrity.

I'm sorry but if you think having Baron Davis in a Clippers uniform is somehow a bad thing, you're mistaken. Baron is this franchise's biggest free agent signing in history. That alone makes this off-season a historical milestone as far as this franchise is concerned. Before him, the biggest FA signing was Cuttino Mobley believe it or not.

Secondly, the Clippers are in a win now/win later mode. They are not in the process of rebuilding yet again and visit the lottery again...they didn't have to go out and sign all of those players after Brand left if that was the case. Sterling makes money off of this team no matter what the roster looks like so it's not about Baron being there only to sell tickets.

This team, if healthy is full capable of not only making the playoffs, but possibly advancing as is. As Clipper fans, we are not aiming for a championship right now or something crazy like that. All we want is to make the playoffs regularly and if that means being the 8th seed every year and being called "mediocre", so be it. It's better than being a horrible 20-win team year after year. This team is capable of being a playoff team and being $35 mil under the cap in 2010 isn't going to hurt either.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#60 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:56 am

+1

But the clippers will make the playoffs again and have good chance making out of the 2nd round.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.

Return to The General Board