Greg Oden already hurt.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Re: Greg Oden already hurt. 

Post#81 » by killacalijatt » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:33 pm

Damn injury prone, in his first NBA game he gets INJURED AGAIN.WWWOOOWWW
Vastly OverRated, like Iv been saying before

So again whos going to be the biggest bust in NBA history?
Cough Oden Cough
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#82 » by NBAMAN2006 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:48 pm

He is 20.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,921

Post#83 » by JN » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:19 pm

24-14-4

Career stats.
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#84 » by Ming Kong! » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:32 pm

breaker91 wrote:As a Blazer fan I'm stressed out at this. You can analyze it and pick it apart many different ways, but I feel he will come back. He injuried his foot on the 3rd play of the game and that as opposed to his conditioning, which needs to improve, is why he was consistently being beaten down the court. He is probably out for5 or 6 games. Word in the Portland paper today was that he was running on it during halftime, but he couldn't go at full speed.

This is pretty frustrating, but any reasonable person would give it some more time before second guessing the draft or throwing the bust tag on him.

I'm not second guessing the draft, I thought from day one that choosing a guy who already had a history of injuries at the age of 19 was too risky when you had a guy who was already better healthy in Durant. I understand Durant wasn't what the team needed, Hortford or Conley is what I would of been seeking, and I would of traded down to 3 or 4.

Oden is raw, and is already a beast defensively, I know he can turn out to be great, but so could of Sam Bowie, and Bill Walton could of even been better. I sincerely hope he can manage to stay healthy because it's great for the league and he's a good kid (or 40 yr old ;-)). Anyways, I wish you guys the best of luck, he should be back soon, and hopefully it's for good.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#85 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:40 pm

A lot of guys look very injury prone early on and end up going on to long and productive careers, and a lot of guys don't get any injuries and then they suddenly get wrecked (Penny, Grant Hill).

I know you people love for hyped players to fail, you pray for it at night, but he's 20 years old and rolled his ankle after getting pulled to the ground and twisting it up on another guys foot. He was still running around on it, and wasn't in a great deal of pain, just a minor setback.

The guy had a major knee surgery, and a broken wrist, I'm sure most people who play competitive sports probably have had more injuries than that, and only the Knee surgery should even be concerning IMO.

He's going to have to keep playing his way back into shape, and the knee is going to get stronger as the months go by, but if you couldn't see the good things that he showed in some limited time, you are hoping for him to fail.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,485

Post#86 » by Bankai » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Really sucks for Blazer fans, but I never really have given in the hype anyway. The only thing this guy has shown me so far in his entire basketball life, was that he is injury prone. It doesent help if he has some condition that makes his body age more rapidly (or so ive heard), and that would make his body more easy to break down. If that is also true, that I cant see how long he can keep playing basketball at the NBA level.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:57 pm

Bankai wrote:Really sucks for Blazer fans, but I never really have given in the hype anyway. The only thing this guy has shown me so far in his entire basketball life, was that he is injury prone. It doesent help if he has some condition that makes his body age more rapidly (or so ive heard), and that would make his body more easy to break down. If that is also true, that I cant see how long he can keep playing basketball at the NBA level.

LOL WTF. You really believe that? Wtf is this, Jack?

Before he came to the NBA, he had a broken wrist in his entire basketball career, and everyone wanted to call him injury prone.

He's had one major surgery, we have guys in the league right now who have had multiple surgeries. give it some time people, jesus christ.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Michael Phelps
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#88 » by Michael Phelps » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:02 pm

What he's trying to say is, he looks like Bill Russell and he's only 20.. Imagine how he will be when he's 30? 40? 50 (he may look like a wrinkled 90 year old) lmao.
lakerfan10770
Starter
And1: 3

Post#89 » by lakerfan10770 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:04 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:There is a reason why some guys get injured a lot other than just bad luck. Some players are just very limber and can roll off blows or falls avoiding injury. Guys like Jordan, Malone, Stockton and currently James and Kobe almost never got injured. Those guys are as physical as anyone in the NBA and constantly getting contact but their agility and responsiveness of their bodies avoid those injures.

Other player, especially big men, are stiffed limbed and easily get injured.

I didn't check the other guys you listed, but Kobe has been far from healthy in his career.
He is literally more injury prone then VC or even McGrady.

He seems to have a trend of 2-3 seasons where he plays 70 something to 82 games and then has 3 seasons in a row where he misses around 15-30 games each of those seasons.

This pattern has repeated itself like 2 or 3 times in his career.
He is actually coming to the 1st season of the injured seasons part of the pattern this year.
One can only hope. :falloff:

I wouldn't exactly say Kobe is more injury prone than VC or Tmac:

Kobe has played in 91% (866 out of 952) of the games possible.

Vince has played in 88.5% (697 out of 788) of the games possible.

TMac has played in 86% (749 out of 870) of the games possible.

These numbers do not include any games lost due to suspension, which I know Kobe has at least 2. Also, keep in mind that 98-99 season was a strike shortened season of only 50 games, so if you are trying to establish some sort of trend, you should keep that in mind.

And BTW, hoping someone gets injured isn't cool, even though I assume you are joking, but it still isn't cool.
YaoisGodsAnswer
Senior
And1: 0

Post#90 » by YaoisGodsAnswer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:07 pm

I Love Greg Oden, seems like a very nice guy and we need more big men like him the league to go up against Yao. Just like everyone else, jokes about his age is just harmless fun/.
celtsfan0254
Senior
And1: 1

Post#91 » by celtsfan0254 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:07 pm

When somebody brings this thread back from the dead in 6 months, there is going to be an awful lot of crow eating going on
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#92 » by ponder276 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:16 pm

Oden seems like a really nice, humble guy, and I loved watching him in college, so I really hope he can get healthy, even if I don't exactly love some Blazers fans. I do have a bad feeling about him though, as the guy seems to be pretty damn injury prone so far. Maybe the injuries will stop, but obviously there's also a good chance he'll be Yao Ming 2.0, if not worse. Calling him a bust is ridiculous - busts are guys who are not talented, and Oden is definitely talented, he's just got injury issues slowing him down. Anyone who has seen Oden in college can tell you that when he's healthy, he's a beast on both ends of the court, and 100% healthy, he would certainly be one of the top centers in the league. With that being said, even if he does stay relatively healthy, it's gonna take him a while to get back to being a dominant force (he's gonna have to shed 20+ pounds, get his conditioning back up, and most of all get comfortable with his knee again). It seems to take a lot of guys a season or 2 to really get their athleticism and mobility back after microfracture surgery, and that's if they don't gain a bunch of weight and get slowed down by other nagging injuries.

On a side note, the Blazers really need some new staff to help them invigorate their offense. Nate is apparently a great defensive coach and a great motivator, but for the ammount of talent the Blazers have, their offense is straight-up BAD. I'm not necessarily saying fire Nate, but at least get someone to help him out with some new offensive schemes. And I'm not basing this off just the Lakers game btw, throughout the entire of last season I always felt that the Blazers were an incredibly boring team to watch, which just shouldn't be the case for a team with so many young, exciting players.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:20 pm

lakerfan10770 wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Baseline Runner wrote:There is a reason why some guys get injured a lot other than just bad luck. Some players are just very limber and can roll off blows or falls avoiding injury. Guys like Jordan, Malone, Stockton and currently James and Kobe almost never got injured. Those guys are as physical as anyone in the NBA and constantly getting contact but their agility and responsiveness of their bodies avoid those injures.

I didn't check the other guys you listed, but Kobe has been far from healthy in his career.

He seems to have a trend of 2-3 seasons where he plays 70 something to 82 games and then has 3 seasons in a row where he misses around 15-30 games each of those seasons.

He is actually coming to the 1st season of the injured seasons part of the pattern this year.

These numbers do not include any games lost due to suspension, which I know Kobe has at least 2. Also, keep in mind that 98-99 season was a strike shortened season of only 50 games, so if you are trying to establish some sort of trend, you should keep that in mind.

And BTW, hoping someone gets injured isn't cool, even though I assume you are joking, but it still isn't cool.

That's perception though. There is a perception that Kobe is some iron man, and that Vince and Tracy have been injured their entire careers. A lot of it is used as the excuse to why Kobe is so much better lol.
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#94 » by A.J. » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:40 pm

Oden should be back on track. I just thought he was a little bit slow last night.
sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Post#95 » by sabi » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:40 pm

That block on Bynum was just nasty and then it all went downhill from there.
Prodigy73 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Chill out, bro. Things will get better when we face the next 3 games in Nets, Mavs and Rockets, relax, chill.

If we go 0-3 during that Imma chillllllllllllll
lakerfan10770
Starter

Post#96 » by lakerfan10770 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:42 pm

lakerfan10770 wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

That's perception though. There is a perception that Kobe is some iron man, and that Vince and Tracy have been injured their entire careers. A lot of it is used as the excuse to why Kobe is so much better lol.

Kobe has certainly had his share of injuries, but he didn't miss a single game last year, only missed 5 in 06-07 (2 due to suspension - arm flailing on Jaric & Ginobili), and only missed 2 in 05-06 (Both due to clotheslining Mike Miller). So in the past few years he has been pretty reliable.

To his credit, Vince has only missed 9 games the past three seasons. And if you take out the one bad 2 year stretch where he missed 61 games, he's stayed pretty healthy, which is impressive considering how athletic he is.

T-Mac on the other hand has missed 62 games the past three years.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#97 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Solid Snake wrote:This is what happens when you are out of shape. The guy barely looked like he could run the floor from the start of the game. I don't know what he and his trainers were thinking when putting on all that weight. Just a little over a year ago he was 257, now he is 285. That is a crazy gain in that time span and often results in petty injuries (think Okafor). I think it would do him a world of good if he got down to 270.

You know I actually thought he looked skinny compared to Bynum.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:47 pm

He definitely needs to get in game shape, but he was still beating Bynum up the floor, and his strength was too much, even though he was pressing too hard.

I thought he was pretty impressive on the glass too, he was missing shots and tipping the ball back to himself, and they couldn't box him out at all on the other end.

The block was nice too. You can tell how nervous he was because he bricked two from the line where he is usually pretty good, and his patented jump hook barely made it to the basket lol.
lakerfan10770
Starter

Post#99 » by lakerfan10770 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:47 pm

sabi wrote:That block on Bynum was just nasty and then it all went downhill from there.

Wish I could have seen that, damn Celtics/Cavs game ran long, so I missed the first few minutes of the Lakers/Blazers game.

Found it on youtube and it was nasty... weak move by Bynum though, he practically handed the ball to Oden:

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsCiTq4RnY0
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,485

Post#100 » by Bankai » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:51 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Bankai wrote:Really sucks for Blazer fans, but I never really have given in the hype anyway. The only thing this guy has shown me so far in his entire basketball life, was that he is injury prone. It doesent help if he has some condition that makes his body age more rapidly (or so ive heard), and that would make his body more easy to break down. If that is also true, that I cant see how long he can keep playing basketball at the NBA level.

LOL WTF. You really believe that? Wtf is this, Jack?

Heard it from Blazer Fans, if even they are willing to say this about their own player, its not hard to believe them.

Return to The General Board