ImageImageImageImageImage

Vaccaro: LeBron will not resign with Cle, Knicks are fav

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Vaccaro: LeBron will not resign with Cle, Knicks are fav 

Post#1 » by HighRyzer83 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:55 pm

Sonny Vaccaro, a former shoe executive who is as well connected as anyone in the game of basketball, believes LeBron James will end up with the Knicks in 2010.

The Nets were once believed to be the favorites to land James, but with their Brooklyn arena project stalled, the club looks like they will be stuck in New Jersey.

“LeBron’s relationship with Jay-Z will go on regardless,” Vaccaro said. “He’ll be an international celebrity in New York. If the Nets aren’t in Brooklyn, he’s not going over there for even $200 million. They’re putting pieces together. They’re doing the right things. They’re just living in the wrong building.”

Vaccaro believes James will depart Cleveland regardless of what they do to try to keep him.

“LeBron is this generation’s personality,” said Vaccaro, not one to shy away from hyperbole. “Even though Cleveland has done everything right, you don’t get to Mount Rushmore from Cleveland. He has to go to New York or Los Angeles. There’s no question. The money will be available anywhere. But this is about his persona.

lets face it, Lebron would never say it, but he is too big for Cleveland.

Bring him in boys!!

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... for_$200m/
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Re: Vaccaro: LeBron will not resign with Cle, Knicks are fav 

Post#2 » by knicks742 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:57 pm

From his mouth to God's ears.
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#3 » by GuyverADL » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Going to be alot of mad faces in 2010.

Our team isnt going to be that good in 2010 if we have the cap space to sign him.

I see Lebron forcing a sign and trade as to not screw his home team.

Lebron for Deng and filler?

Lebron to the Clippers?

I dont think Lebron is licking his chops to play with Chandler, Delicato, and Robinson.

If I'm Lebron I wouldn't mind playing with Rose. Imagine that duo. DAYUM

If Lebron leaves he wants a side kick and Rose seems to be a willing passer.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 4,906

Post#4 » by sol537 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:14 pm

Duhon, Chandler, Nate, and Gallinari is a possible starting point. Ewing Jr., Jeffries, and another prospect or two would be here as well from the draft. I'm assuming we'll get a defensive beast and another shooter in the mix. It's a start, but if you add Lebron to that mix, they instantly become contenders.

PG: Duhon
SG: Nate
SF: Lebron
PF: Chandler
C: ?

The challenge now is to move Randolph, Crawford, and Curry before '10. Randolph and Crawford are already building up their value ;)
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#5 » by HighRyzer83 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:14 pm

optimusADL wrote:Going to be alot of mad faces in 2010.

Our team isnt going to be that good in 2010 if we have the cap space to sign him.

Lebron to the Clippers?

I dont think Lebron is licking his chops to play with Chandler, Delicato, and Robinson.

Why is Chicago without Deng or the happless Clippers are such better options? He took a garbage team like Cleveland to championship contender status. I think Lebron wants NY, thats his highest priority. Understandably so, he knows how NY can elevate his status like no other place can. Firstly, our young talent is far from bad. Secondly, I dont think roster speculation is the highest priority to him, it doesnt matter the roster he can win and he knows it.
Jesus Juice
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#6 » by Jesus Juice » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:20 pm

I would be pissed if lebron goes to Chitown. They have had an amazing string of luck, and I can't deal with another decade of disappointment..
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#7 » by GuyverADL » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:24 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:
Why is Chicago without Deng or the happless Clippers are such better options exactly? He took a garbage team like Cleveland to championship contender status. I think Lebron wants NY, thats his highest priority. Understandably so, he knows hot NY can elevate his status like no other place can. I dont think roster speculation is the highest priority to him, it doesnt matter the roster he can win and he knows it.

Chicago has Derrick Rose. :roll:

Rose's personality would likely allow him to play 2nd to Lebron.

Now if you are going to be naive and tell me that Lebron rather play with Gallo than Rose then I dont know what to tell you.

Lebron has Cleveland by the nuts. He can leave and they get NOTHING or tell them to trade him to LA, Chicago, or NY.

LA can offer a max expiring in Gasol and picks. Bryant, Bynum, Lebron :o
Chicago can offer Deng, filler and picks. Rose and Lebron a nice young duo
NY can offer Randolph and picks. Lebron and ???

You see our disadvantage.

Now I dont see Lebron leaving unless he goes to one of those 3 places. Rose looks like the real deal and Bryant, Bynum, and Lebron is DYNASTY status. Alot of guys would sign their for the vet minimum.

Showtime Lakers reborn.

Bull Dynasty reborn.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,351

Post#8 » by F N 11 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:28 pm

I think he evry well may come to NY. The Gareden packed every night, him taking the knicks to the top. D Antoni as the coach. Huge Endorsments. Hmm
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#9 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:33 pm

optimusADL wrote:Going to be alot of mad faces in 2010.

Lebron to the Clippers?

What's he have a death wish to end up with the Clippers....never happen.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#10 » by kosmovitelli » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:35 pm

I often said it but I will repeat it.

The Cavs are the favorite to retain James because they have the money (they can otbid other teams thanks to th Bird RIghts) and the salary cap flexibility sto sign James and another big time free agent like Bosh for example.

If, as Vaccaro says, Lebron wants a change of scenery and a bigger stage then I also believe he will pick NY. Of course, as long as we clear enough money under the salary cap to be in position to offer him a decent contract ($100M).

We have a competent and well respected GM who already proved he can assemble a championship team (even though the Pacers never won a ring), a proven head coach (Lebron played for him with Team USA where d'Antoni was an assistant coach), the best and most famous arena in the world (MSG) and the legend potential (we haven't won a champsionship since 1973 so if Lebron takes us to the promised land he will be the King of NY).

Even though our roster isn't that good, I don't think the pieces will matter that much for Lebron. I think he will look first for a competent GM, as he will still be a young player, he won't have problems waiting another 3 or 4 years before winning a ring.
He will do exactly what Shaq did in 1996 when he left Orlando for LA. Shaq left a team that went to the NBA Finals the previous season and went to the Lakers who were only a playoff team with no immediate shot at the Finals. Shaq waited 4 years to get there and when he signed in Orlando he didn't even know who was Kobe ! He didn't even know Phil Jackson would be his coach.
He signed there because he knew Jerry West was a great GM capable of assembling a championship team.

If Lebron leaves Cleveland then I believe NY is the favorite to win the Lebron sweepstakes.
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#11 » by RutgersBJJ » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:35 pm

for anyone that ever read Swoosh, I believe Sonny is the man behind Nike's rise to power. He was the man who suggested Nike spending all of its money to outbid everyone on MJ, and then it turned out magically.

This man is connected and corrupt. If he says LBJ is coming to NY, I would believe him.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#12 » by HighRyzer83 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:36 pm

optimusADL wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:
Why is Chicago without Deng or the happless Clippers are such better options exactly? He took a garbage team like Cleveland to championship contender status. I think Lebron wants NY, thats his highest priority. Understandably so, he knows hot NY can elevate his status like no other place can. I dont think roster speculation is the highest priority to him, it doesnt matter the roster he can win and he knows it.

Now if you are going to be naive and tell me that Lebron rather play with Gallo than Rose then I dont know what to tell you.

Lebron has Cleveland by the nuts. He can leave and they get NOTHING or tell them to trade him to LA, Chicago, or NY.

Now I dont see Lebron leaving unless he goes to one of those 3 places. Rose looks like the real deal and Bryant, Bynum, and Lebron is DYNASTY status. Alot of guys would sign their for the vet minimum.

He wants a platform to showcase his talent as perhaps the best ever. Why would he chose a 3rd market and be pigeonholed in MJ's shawdow. He wants his own legacy not derrick rose.

LA would never offer Kobe. Otherwise they would have done it by now. Now Kobe is approaching 30 decreasing in stats and value. Lebron doesnt wants to be Kobe's replacement either. LA is out of the picture.
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#13 » by HighRyzer83 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:43 pm

kosmovitelli wrote:I often said it but I will repeat it.

The Cavs are the favorite to retain James because they have the money (they can otbid other teams thanks to th Bird RIghts) and the salary cap flexibility sto sign James and another big time free agent like Bosh for example.

If, as Vaccaro says, Lebron wants a change of scenery and a bigger stage then I also believe he will pick NY. Of course, as long as we clear enough money under the salary cap to be in position to offer him a decent contract ($100M).

We have a competent and well respected GM who already proved he can assemble a championship team (even though the Pacers never won a ring), a proven head coach (Lebron played for him with Team USA where d'Antoni was an assistant coach), the best and most famous arena in the world (MSG) and the legend potential (we haven't won a champsionship since 1973 so if Lebron takes us to the promised land he will be the King of NY).

Even though our roster isn't that good, I don't think the pieces will matter that much for Lebron. I think he will look first for a competent GM, as he will still be a young player, he won't have problems waiting another 3 or 4 years before winning a ring.
He will do exactly what Shaq did in 1996 when he left Orlando for LA. Shaq left a team that went to the NBA Finals the previous season and went to the Lakers who were only a playoff team with no immediate shot at the Finals. Shaq waited 4 years to get there and when he signed in Orlando he didn't even know who was Kobe ! He didn't even know Phil Jackson would be his coach.
He signed there because he knew Jerry West was a great GM capable of assembling a championship team.

If Lebron leaves Cleveland then I believe NY is the favorite to win the Lebron sweepstakes.

What about the $100s of millions of endorsements for coming to NY alone? Essentially he stands to make more $ than in Cleveland overall.
Great point about Shaq.
sol537
RealGM

Post#14 » by sol537 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:45 pm

This is why it's vital we stick to the '10 plan and at least give ourselves a shot at Lebron and if that fails, at least we will be able to choose from a crop of other talented free agents.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#15 » by GuyverADL » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:49 pm

kosmovitelli wrote:I often said it but I will repeat it.

Shaq went to LA to play in a bigger market AND play with Kobe.

Chicago is a bigger market AND they have Rose.

Lebron is going to get paid regardless. He needs some championships to cement his legacy. Winning at this young age will cement him.

Shaq and Kobe
Shaq and Wade
Garnett and Pierce
Duncan and Parker

You need 2 stars to win consistently.

Lebron wants to win AND make money.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#16 » by GuyverADL » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:53 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:
optimusADL wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:

He wants a platform to showcase his talent as perhaps the best ever. Why would he chose a 3rd market and be pigeonholed in MJ's shawdow. He wants his own legacy not derrick rose.

LA would never offer Kobe. Otherwise they would have done it by now. Now Kobe is approaching 30 decreasing in stats and value. Lebron doesnt wants to be Kobe's replacement either. LA is out of the picture.

The entire world was on Kobe and Shaqs nuts in LA.

You are in denial if you dont think Lebron cant force Cleveland to sign and trade him for Gasol and filler. What 2010 free agent is going to sign to Cleveland with no Lebron. :lol:

Lebron, Bryant, Bynum :o

The entire league would be SALTY.

Bryant will be falling off and Lebron will be in his prime. :lol: Stern would cream his pants.

You also fail to realize alot of people hate NY in general. They watched us in hopes we would LOSE.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,446

Post#17 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:55 pm

We just need to keep our options open. Even if there's a 10% chance Lebron would sign with us we need to attempt to clear cap for that. Its not often you get a chance at someone like Lebron when he will only be 25. It would be much easier to build around Lebron.

Besides, if he doesnt sign with us there will be some other options and we will be in great rebuilding shape. Clearing cap space is what we should be doing anyway...
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
-Ducky-
Starter
And1: 6

Post#18 » by -Ducky- » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:56 pm

Don't we have to unload one of Zach, Curry or Crawford, and not sign Lee to make space? That is a lot of hypothetical.
jakoub
Pro Prospect
And1: 127

Post#19 » by jakoub » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:57 pm

sol537 wrote:Duhon, Chandler, Nate, and Gallinari is a possible starting point. Ewing Jr., Jeffries, and another prospect or two would be here as well from the draft. I'm assuming we'll get a defensive beast and another shooter in the mix. It's a start, but if you add Lebron to that mix, they instantly become contenders.

PG: Duhon
SG: Nate
SF: Lebron
PF: Chandler
C: ?

The challenge now is to move Randolph, Crawford, and Curry before '10. Randolph and Crawford are already building up their value ;)

nate at sg are you crazy. If anything i would rather have james at sg chandler at sf gallo at pf and a bosh/amare type guy as our center
My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
sol537
RealGM

Post#20 » by sol537 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:03 pm

Nate is the prototypical sidekick scorer that would excel next to a star like Lebron, and Lebron actually likes Nate quite a bit judging from the props Lebron has given Nate in the past when Nate has almost single-handily kept the Knicks in games vs. Cleveland. Duhon is also the prototypical point guard you want to place next to your stars because he is just fine without having to shoot a single shot but can knock down the timely three when given the opportunity.

Chandler is also a beast who could become a legit 18 point, 8 rebound nightly threat or better by 2010. What do these four players have in common? They fit D'Antoni's style perfectly. The missing piece would be a defensive-minded C who is fast and can knock down the mid-range jumper and a defensive-minded assistant coach. Bring in the Celtics dude ;)

Return to New York Knicks