Need some help

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 73

Need some help 

Post#1 » by BROWN » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:11 pm

Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post my question, but I'm doing my oral presentation on the
removal of the Sonics from Seattle and relocation to Oklahoma City. Can I get a basic
understanding of what happened from your perspective. (the speech is about 5 minutes)

Questions I would like to have answered...
1- How did it happen, after 42 years why did it suddenly just have to stop?
2- What effects did it have on the people of Seattle
3- What does the city of Seattle have in store for the future...

just some of the questions I'd like to know.

Thanks guys !
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 5

Re: Need some help 

Post#2 » by jenn_gp » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:32 pm

Do some research seriously. I (and others) may be a little biased in our feelings about what happened. We are too jaded over our team getting stolen from under us. One thing I will stress is that it wasn't because we didn't support the team. People filled the Key (while not selling out) even last year when Bennett did everything within his power to alienate us. This was more about the city and state government not caving into the NBA's threats to build a new arena. This was a battle of the Washington State government vs. David Stern. Stern didn't get his way when he visited ONCE to propose a 500 million dollar arena for the Sonics. Once he didn't get his way, he and Bennett did everything in their power to move the Sonics out of Seattle. The fans are not at fault. We supported the team and are now the ones left hurting.

Do some searches on Clay Bennett and Howard Schultz in the Seattle Times website and google.
Also, read the article Ex-Hippie just posted from the NYTimes. It will give you a good flavor on recent events that have happened to sports in Seattle. All of it is true. Sports has become bleak in this city.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 19

Post#3 » by wiff » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:45 pm

brownwarriors wrote:

Thanks guys !

#1 Howard Shultz sold the team to an out of state buyer (Partly I feel, to stick it to the state when they wouldn't give him a new arena). Then low and behold the state didn't give Clay a new stadium either even after he threatened to move the team. Oh and Howard made a boat load on the sale.

#2 It sucks and I'm bitter. And although I'm still floating around here I only follow the NBA pretty much through a fantasy league. I think I have watched a total of two complete games compared to at least 13 Sonics at this time last year. I stopped my magazine subscription to Slam because I'm not going to "spend my money" on anything that supports or promotes the NBA.

#3 A big freakin goose egg. Lots of talk but no substance. Plus the Key Arena is sitting like a big old eye sore in the Seattle Center. Now that the Sonics are gone the big question is what to do with the Key Arena?
BROWN
RealGM

Post#4 » by BROWN » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:14 pm

How many people working in the keyarena ..etc lost their jobs due to the removal?
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#5 » by bennith13 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:52 am

brownwarriors wrote:Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post my question, but I'm doing my oral presentation on the
removal of the Sonics from Seattle and relocation to Oklahoma City. Can I get a basic
understanding of what happened from your perspective. (the speech is about 5 minutes)

Thanks guys !

1. complicated question. Wiff has a lot of it. Once Bennett bought the team it was just a matter of time. Part of the blame has to be on our local politicians. Their unwillingness to do anything obviously helped the team move.

2. I have seen one almost full NBA game this year. Years past I would have gone to a bunch of games and watched as many as were on TV. In the past I would have watched other teams on TV, not just the Sonics, so its not like I am not watching games just because I used to only watch the local team.

3. I think someday there will be a new Seattle SuperSonics. I just am not sure how long it is going to take for a majority of people in the area to realize that the Sonics had value.
Dick Tate
Pro Prospect
And1: 59

Post#6 » by Dick Tate » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:06 am

Pass.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#7 » by jenn_gp » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:21 am

brownwarriors wrote:How many people working in the keyarena ..etc lost their jobs due to the removal?

Come on now. We would have to do the same thing as you by knowing the answer to that question. Research!

I do know that the restaurants located in the neighborhood of Key Arena are losing tons of money as a result of the move.
BROWN
RealGM

Post#8 » by BROWN » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:54 pm

haha thanks guys !
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Ex-hippie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:02 pm

brownwarriors, respectfully, if you're trying to do some kind of presentation for school, there are much, much better ways to do research than by surveying what's left of a realgm.com board. Especially nowadays when media reports are so readily available over the Intertubes. You can start with wikipedia and then go to the many good cites on that page. If you want to get into the heavier economic aspects of it (which might be what you're getting at in question #2), you'll just have to research it the old-fashioned way.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#10 » by jenn_gp » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:01 pm

As far as your question about how much it affects the fans, this article is a great read by Bill Simmons. In this article are countless e-mails posted by fans. This excerpt of one e-mail sums up how I feel:
GP and Kemp rolled into town and the NBA was as fun as it gets. I spent hours as a teenager lowering the rim in the driveway throwing alley-oops to my buddies. Before the '93-'94 season, Jordan retired. The Sonics finish the season with a NBA-best 63 wins. Of course, that led to Seattle fans having to look at Mutombo clutching the basketball and crying during the opening of "NBA on NBC" for the next eight years. This town absolutely bled green when we beat the Utah Jazz in Game 7 of the Western Conference finals in '96 and it was my first big party as a freshly minted 21-year-old. These moments are not just a history of a great franchise. This is my life. They are part of who I am. How can I not be that person? How do I reconcile that part of me that hears the great Bob Blackburn in my dreams?

Forty-one years ago, the NBA came to Seattle and asked us to invest ourselves in a basketball team. We did. Now that same NBA is saying the 41-year investment meant nothing.

It meant something to me.
DoItALL9
Assistant Coach
And1: 828

Post#11 » by DoItALL9 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:42 pm

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball