Congrats to Jerry Sloan

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Re: Congrats to Jerry Sloan 

Post#21 » by Basti » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:28 am

Chubby Chaser wrote:20 Years of coaching and we both have the same number of rings. Zero

cool

it's not like you had some sort of impact on sports history to begin with.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#22 » by loserX » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:17 am

Chubby Chaser wrote:20 Years of coaching and we both have the same number of rings. Zero

Coaches who have won rings in the last 20 years:
Pat Riley
Phil Jackson
Chuck Daly
Rudy Tomjanovich
Greg Popovich
Larry Brown
Doc Rivers

That's it. It's not like they hand these things out like candy. Even if, by your stupid measuring stick, you want to put Sloan at a lower level than these guys, it's hardly a point of great shame. (Well, except Doc Rivers :D )

Your trolling needs a little work.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 503

Post#23 » by raleigh » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:26 am

I love the fact that Sloan, as an old school guy, has adjusted to the "new" game.
Ern III
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#24 » by Ern III » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:44 am

JackFinn wrote:
DanniIce wrote:Sir Alex Ferguson has coached Manchester United for 22 years.

Soccer and Checkers don't count.

Football does, though.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#25 » by hsb » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 am

mrhonline wrote:I love the fact that Sloan, as an old school guy, has adjusted to the "new" game.

Good point, he's seen so much and adapted to what was given.

When you see coaches dropping like flies and players who could care less about coaches, you have to respect how this guy reversed the system.

Great coach, much respect.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Post#26 » by JackFinn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:01 am

Ern III wrote:
JackFinn wrote:
DanniIce wrote:Sir Alex Ferguson has coached Manchester United for 22 years.

Soccer and Checkers don't count.

Football does, though.

Aussie rules? Hells yes. Basically all the sports containing frequent moments which call for a player to urgently come up with an exclamation yell, resulting in many awkward "I AM YOUR FATHER. REMEMBER YOUR OLD HOME, THESE HERE TESTIES?" situations.
Ancalagon
Pro Prospect
And1: 342

Post#27 » by Ancalagon » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:09 am

loserX wrote:

Coaches who have won rings in the last 20 years:
Pat Riley
Phil Jackson
Chuck Daly
Rudy Tomjanovich
Greg Popovich
Larry Brown
Doc Rivers

That's it. It's not like they hand these things out like candy. Even if, by your stupid measuring stick, you want to put Sloan at a lower level than these guys, it's hardly a point of great shame. (Well, except Doc Rivers :D )

Wow, great point there ... Plus, Sloan is really unlucky that he doesn't have a ring. And he has been consistently excellent without a lot of losing seasons (ahem, Larry Brown ...). Actually, I think that he is above both Brown and Rivers on that list, and to be better than any of the other guys would make him a legend. Those other guys are legends.

Sloan is GREAT. RESPECT him.

Your trolling needs a little work.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#28 » by ponder276 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:02 am

McGeeNArenas wrote:God 20 failed seasons....I guess the only reason he's being celebrated for is how long he's survived, like a cockroach. Sure can't be because he won anything, because he didn't.

I actually laughed out loud :D

(not that I agree with the statement, Jerry Sloan is a fantastic coach, I have him top 4 among current coaches in the league, but I just found that funny)
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#29 » by Alfred » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:38 pm

MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,331

Post#30 » by MagicMadness » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:04 pm

How many division and conference titles do you have?

How many COTY awards do...nevermind.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#31 » by BarneyGumble » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Duiz wrote:

My point exactly Rooster. You would think that this thread would be 8 pages long by now. LeBron talks about possibly going to New York, thread booms to 20 pages. This one is barely in its 2nd page. The negative opinions are there. I really feel bad for Sloan, because he deserves a lot more than he gets.

I am glad at least Adande gives Sloan some due.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... oan-081209

Dont feel bad for Sloan, he couldn't give less of a sh*t about COY awards or individual accolades or praise. Its exactly why he's a perfect fit for the Utah Jazz. The egos and media-loving prima donnas dont come to Utah. Instead, Sloan wants guys like him. Guys that have to work hard on every possession to compete. Guys who were overlooked and underappreciated, like him. Guys who were second round picks and now lead the conversations in best in their positions. (Millsap, Boozer)...

Sloan doesn't care about what a bunch of realgm Kobe fans think, and neither do I. So lets get back to winning basketball games in Salt Lake City for ANOTHER 20 years.

PS: For what its worth, I'd rather have a team that competes hard and is in the title hunt each season with Hall of Famers for 20 years rather than one-hit wonder championship teams like the Celtics, who were in the twenties with wins two years ago and had sucked since 1987, or Miami...who has one of today's most popular players and won a championship w/ Shaq but cant get out of the lottery since...
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#32 » by Ming Kong! » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:58 pm

DWill_daShizzle wrote:
Duiz wrote:

My point exactly Rooster. You would think that this thread would be 8 pages long by now. LeBron talks about possibly going to New York, thread booms to 20 pages. This one is barely in its 2nd page. The negative opinions are there. I really feel bad for Sloan, because he deserves a lot more than he gets.

I am glad at least Adande gives Sloan some due.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... oan-081209

Dont feel bad for Sloan, he couldn't give less of a sh*t about COY awards or individual accolades or praise. Its exactly why he's a perfect fit for the Utah Jazz. The egos and media-loving prima donnas dont come to Utah. Instead, Sloan wants guys like him. Guys that have to work hard on every possession to compete. Guys who were overlooked and underappreciated, like him. Guys who were second round picks and now lead the conversations in best in their positions. (Millsap, Boozer)...

Sloan doesn't care about what a bunch of realgm Kobe fans think, and neither do I. So lets get back to winning basketball games in Salt Lake City for ANOTHER 20 years.

PS: For what its worth, I'd rather have a team that competes hard and is in the title hunt each season with Hall of Famers for 20 years rather than one-hit wonder championship teams like the Celtics, who were in the twenties with wins two years ago and had sucked since 1987, or Miami...who has one of today's most popular players and won a championship w/ Shaq but cant get out of the lottery since...

Everything was fantastic until you said that. 17 Championships buddy. 17! And they are basically favorites for another championship.

Also have you ever heard about the death of Len Bias: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvyHXqJIxTw

Plus Larry Bird had to retire early due to back injuries at 35 when he still really was at the top of his game. He could of ensured that the team would been good for another 3-5yrs had it not been for his back.

The tragedy of Bias, and the unfortunate luck of loosing Bird early took away their chance to be a playoff team every year of the 90's.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#33 » by BarneyGumble » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:53 am

Ming Kong! wrote:
Everything was fantastic until you said that. 17 Championships buddy. 17! And they are basically favorites for another championship.

Also have you ever heard about the death of Len Bias: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvyHXqJIxTw

Plus Larry Bird had to retire early due to back injuries at 35 when he still really was at the top of his game. He could of ensured that the team would been good for another 3-5yrs had it not been for his back.

The tragedy of Bias, and the unfortunate luck of loosing Bird early took away their chance to be a playoff team every year of the 90's.

Dude of course I remember, thats why I said SINCE 1987. And I stand by my post. I would have MUCH rather been a Jazz fan during that span until now then a Celtics fan. And yes, the current Celtics team is great and I love them...but this is only their 2nd season together. And lets not forget, they had 3 series that went the distance in the EAST. So anything can happen.

Return to The General Board