Shaquille O'neal *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Shaquille O'neal *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* 

Post#1 » by JackFinn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:42 pm

per 36 minutes
19.9 ppg
10.9 rpg
1.8 bpg
2.1 apg

he’s currently shooting at .603
turns 37 years old a month before the playoffs.
oh my.

(I realize if his numbers wouldn't look like that if he played full starter's minutes, on account of tiredness.)
dchess
Sophomore
And1: 1

Re: Shaquille O'neal *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* 

Post#2 » by dchess » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:43 pm

thats 19.9 points more than what amare would like to see him score
Pancho_Pantera
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#3 » by Pancho_Pantera » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:46 pm

The suns still suck, that's all that matters.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#4 » by TonyMontana » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:01 pm

Pancho_Pantera wrote:The MAGIC still suck, that's all that matters.

*FIXED* :lol:
He Hate Me
Starter
And1: 2

Post#5 » by He Hate Me » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Shaq season = Farve season
I'm just trying to get into heaven, it's not like I'm gonna run for Jesus.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#6 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:08 pm

I don't think PHX fans care given that the Suns are 5-5 in the last 10 games...
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#7 » by BigSlam » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about Shaq contracting a sexually transmitted disease!!
B B M F 'ers
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,958

Post#8 » by tsherkin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:30 pm

Shaq's doing very well, but yeah, even he isn't happy because the Suns look like poop most nights. I think Porter's slowly beginning to realize that he's a twitter-headed moron and is finally letting them run more, getting Amare more involved, getting the PnR back into their repertoire... They've looked a lot better since Hill got back into the starting lineup, too.

Phoenix is a giant SNAFU; they have a horrible owner, a mediocre GM who's catching a bit too much flak, and a coach who totally doesn't fit. Blech.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#9 » by microfib4thewin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Doesn't matter when the team offense is running like crap because Shaq has the ball all the time.
Ill
RealGM
And1: 1,275

Post#10 » by Ill » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:56 pm

still nice to see some throwback games from him
The Diesel
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#11 » by The Diesel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:01 pm

Shaq's doing very well, but yeah, even he isn't happy because the Suns look like poop most nights. I think Porter's slowly beginning to realize that he's a twitter-headed moron and is finally letting them run more, getting Amare more involved, getting the PnR back into their repertoire... They've looked a lot better since Hill got back into the starting lineup, too.

Phoenix is a giant SNAFU; they have a horrible owner, a mediocre GM who's catching a bit too much flak, and a coach who totally doesn't fit. Blech.

It also never should have taken Porter THIS long to figure out the following things:

- To start Grant Hill; the Shaq/Amare/Hill/Bell/Nash line-up won 15 of its last 20 games last year and is 5-0 this season when they all start together.

- To run more; it seems he finally realized that his offense sucked and realized that the players and fans were right in wanting the team to run more because it plays to their strength.

- Getting Amare more involved; I like the fact that Amare is being used better recently. He was not getting enough touches until recently. This is the same guy who averaged 29 PPG after Shaq came to Phoenix last season and instead of continuing to build on that, his production has gone down this year because Porter hasn't used him properly.

- Stop giving Shaq the ball all the time! It seems Porter has figured out that it wasn't working.

I mean, this guy had a training camp and pre-season and the beginning of the season to figure all of this out and it's only recently that it seems he has figured out things he should have figured out a long time ago.

He's a terrible coach. Too bad Kerr hired his golfing buddy instead of a guy like Flip Saunders.

The Kidd trade - which has been highly criticized like the Shaq trade - will look better in the future because Carlisle is a brilliant coach.

Porter on the other hand, is a terrible coach.
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#12 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:41 pm

Shaq is still done.
He Hate Me
Starter
And1: 2

Post#13 » by He Hate Me » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:46 pm

doesn't it feel like Porter is coaching his memories of the players on his roster when he himself was playing and not who they are now? ie. Shaq is dominant give him the ball, Hill is injury-prone bench him. Nash initiates offenses and not much else (no leash), Bell is a defensive tool only, Amare is just some snot-nosed rookie who needs to pay his dues...
I'm just trying to get into heaven, it's not like I'm gonna run for Jesus.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#14 » by Buck You » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:48 pm

He Hate Me wrote:Shaq season = Farve season

Who is Farve?
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#15 » by rsavaj » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:49 pm

microfib4thewin wrote:Doesn't matter when the team offense is running like crap because Shaq has the ball all the time.

True, but they've struck a balance in their last two games, which is nice to see.
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#16 » by TonyMontana » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Shaq wants to go back to CALI.
He misses Kobe and LA.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#17 » by rsavaj » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:00 pm

TonyMontana wrote:Shaq wants to go back to CALI.
He misses Kobe and LA.

He might actually do that once his contract expires
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#18 » by TonyMontana » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:12 pm

rsavaj wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:Shaq wants to go back to CALI.
He misses Kobe and LA.

He might actually do that once his contract expires

Ya thats the word, but I doubt that Laker Nation wants him back or the Lakers org.
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#19 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:24 pm

Buss is still probably pissed shaq called him out in the preseason game back in hawaii in 04
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,958

Post#20 » by tsherkin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:01 pm

microfib4thewin wrote:Doesn't matter when the team offense is running like crap because Shaq has the ball all the time.

Misconception; the Suns offense was running like crap because Porter wasn't letting them get out in transition or PnR as often as they used to, even when Shaq was on the bench.

Volume of touches for Shaq is not the problem; if Porter wanted to do that, fine; implement a flex continuity system in the half court and then also emphasize wing PnRs. The Suns weren't moving at all when Shaq had the ball because they were running sets they weren't used to.

Under D'Antoni, they looked fluid and mobile in the halfcourt because they were always filling spots and reacting to each other; Coach D put together a really well-oiled, sleek offense in transition AND in the halfcourt. It was mostly defense that stymied them, and to some extent, the limitations of a one-star offensive system (you'll notice against the Spurs, Amare often popped off and they lost anyway because the Spurs tightened up on everyone else).

Under Porter, they look disjointed, even after a full training camp, because he doesn't know what he wants to do. Shaq getting 12-15 shots a game isn't a bad thing because he's still a high DrawF and FG% player who's an excellent passer... but you can't exploit his passing if the other guys are just standing around with defenders on them. That's on the coach.

And as a team, they've looked horrible because Porter neutered their offense and hasn't actually done what he was supposed to, which was improve their defense. They don't look any better there and that was his supposed specialty.

None of these things are the result of Shaq's presence on the court or his volume of shots, but of coaching errors. Lately (and for like 30 games last season), the Suns have had a nice mix of running AND dumping it into Shaq when they needed to, which worked out well for the Suns under Coach D and was unfathomably ignored by Porter as a starting point for the foundation of the team's offense.

Return to The General Board