Do the Cavs make a trade?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

legacyinthemakin89c
Veteran
And1: 1

Do the Cavs make a trade? 

Post#1 » by legacyinthemakin89c » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:55 pm

If you were the Cavs would you make a trade near the deadline. Their having their best season ever, Lebron is getting mvp, Mo Williams is playing the perfect Robin and your blowing teams out on a big win streak. Do you trade Wally's expiring and picks a star shooting guard or big man? I think they should. They are incredible right now, but more talent can't hurt. If they can get another guy who just wants to win and completly buys into the system, a trade can only put them over the top. What do you think they should do?
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,023

Re: Do the Cavs make a trade? 

Post#2 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 pm

They should trade Wally if it improves their team, from what I've read Wally would probably seek a buyout so he can return to the Cavs also. It would be stupid to hold onto his contract, they will be over the cap next year, so the only way to truly improve is via trade.
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#3 » by No Offense » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:10 pm

Brian Windhorst reported that if Wally is traded, he will most likely pull a McDyess and come back after 30 days. If that's the case, I think there's no reason not to.
lakerfan10770
Starter
And1: 3

Post#4 » by lakerfan10770 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:23 pm

The Cavs need to go all in to not only try and win a championship but to also show Lebron that they are 100% committed to winning with him by putting the best possible players around him. So if the Cavs can trad Wally then they should. Problem is that I don't think there are to many realistic trades to be completed. Plus they have the added risk of giving other teams like the Nets, Knicks or Pistons more cap space in 2010 if they deal with them.

I am curious what deals you guys think are out there for Wally, because honestly I do not see very many possibilities.
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#5 » by No Offense » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:26 pm

lakerfan10770 wrote:I am curious what deals you guys think are out there for Wally, because honestly I do not see very many possibilities.

There will be plenty of teams calling Ferry for Wally's 13 million dollar contract. I'd be amazed if there weren't.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,023

Post#6 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:28 pm

lakerfan10770 wrote:The Cavs need to go all in to not only try and win a championship but to also show Lebron that they are 100% committed to winning with him by putting the best possible players around him. So if the Cavs can trad Wally then they should. Problem is that I don't think there are to many realistic trades to be completed. Plus they have the added risk of giving other teams like the Nets, Knicks or Pistons more cap space in 2010 if they deal with them.

I am curious what deals you guys think are out there for Wally, because honestly I do not see very many possibilities.

They tried to make a trade for Vince Carter over the summer, just Wally straight up for Vince, Rod Thorn thought it over then declined. I will bet that they will revisit that before the deadline, maybe Wally, filler, 1st for Carter/S. Williams.
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#7 » by bcortell » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:37 pm

Nets fans won't like that trade but I think it's realistic closer to the deadline. That would also solve the Cavs problems of big man depth too.

But I agree.. they only trade Wally if they get a good player for him. I think the whole thing about being over the cap so they need to trade him is overrated (because they can't get a big time FA this offseason). If we let him expire, it will save the Gilbert a ton of money- and while many people say that shouldn't matter- bringing in say vince who is owed 16 mil next year plus the lux tax for him would be a difference of 32 mil (plus whatever money if we get under the lux tax threshold). Sasha is picking up his game finally, so he could get more minutes next year and we'll have two picks to add another big man and a wing. Plus JJ will get more minutes next year, so he'll take the minutes that Wally had at the 4.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#8 » by shrink » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:46 pm

I agree with the majority. I understand that its way too easy for us fans to spend the owner's money, and a Wally trade means lux money as well. However, you don't want to spend $90 mil and not get a ring, because you'd rather not spend $90 mil again next season.

The stakes are greater for the Cavs than anyone else too. A ring for CLE probably comes with the bonus prize of a guy named LeBron James in a Cavs jersey for a number of years.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,023

Post#9 » by mg » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:52 pm

It might not be a bad idea for the Cavs to add a veteran big man that can score a little but not sure who would be available at the deadline? Maybe someone like Joe Smith gets bought out and the Cavs can sign him without even making a trade? They are playing so well I wouldn't mess with the core too much. They're best offensive big man Ilgauskas might miss a few games so it might be a good idea to add some insurance in the frontcourt if they struggle without him.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#10 » by INKtastic » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:55 pm

right now I'd like to see Joe Smith bought out by the Thunder and have him return to improve our big man depth.

Beyond that, I'm in a wait an see mode with Wally. He's playing well, the team is playing well, lets see where we are at the all star break. Between now and then we'll play LA twice, Boston once, Orlando once, and a few other top teams.

There are plenty of trades for Wally that on paper make us better. But unless Wally is traded for someone who simply will be better at the role he's filling, trading him disrupts the rotations of several players on a team that's on pace for 67-70 wins. Let's see how things look after 50 games. Building a championship isn't about having the best possible individual players, it's about having the right mix of players.

And even if Wally would want a buyout to come back, that doesn't mean the other team will buy him out. Joe Smith wants out in Oklahoma City, but he hasn't been bought out.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#11 » by CrookedJ » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:22 pm

lj4mvp wrote:There are plenty of trades for Wally that on paper make us better. But unless Wally is traded for someone who simply will be better at the role he's filling, trading him disrupts the rotations of several players on a team that's on pace for 67-70 wins. Let's see how things look after 50 games. Building a championship isn't about having the best possible individual players, it's about having the right mix of players.

I agree . . .the backcourt rotation is full of guys that compliment Lebron very well. Having two combo style guards with him looks really good, and then Gibson and Wally are gunning off the bench.

Unless its for a big man, I don't see the point, and even then the Cav's have a good compliment of bigs, despite none of them being stars. Z can score / shoot, hustle & D from Wallace and Anderson, Hickson as an athletic prospect.

Why mess with a good thing just because you can? If someone goes down, then Wally can get you a excellent player to fill a role, but until then . .
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Post#12 » by DowJones » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:02 pm

Here is the problem if you don't trade Wally this year...

His expiring contract goes for nothing at the end of the season. While a trade may not help us out THAT much in 2008-2009, it may have a big impact on 2009-2010. Cleveland is good right now but some key pieces (Z and Ben) are getting older. If we can ship Wally for a PF like Antawn Jamison, it takes stress off of the 2 older bigs....Z and Ben. Jamison also provides us the big man depth that we would need. The only issue with Jamison is that he will be 33 at the end of the 2008-2009 season, so he is no spring chicken either.

Cleveland should try to find a PF that is in the 28-30 range. That will obviously be hard to find though.
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#13 » by SideSwipe » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:26 pm

If I were the CAVS I would try to do something to get Bosh right now, then you don't even need to worry about 2010, because theyt either get a championship or they have already gotten Lebron the two other guys he needs to run with in Bosh.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#14 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:39 pm

SideSwipe wrote:If I were the CAVS I would try to do something to get Bosh right now, then you don't even need to worry about 2010, because theyt either get a championship or they have already gotten Lebron the two other guys he needs to run with in Bosh.

Yeah, I agree.
I mean the Cavs have all the assets available to pull a Bosh trade off, what are they waiting for?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,528

Post#15 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:21 pm

One thing their success means is that they can sit back until the deadline before they have to make a move.

The move doesn't even have to be big. If they can't find anything at the deadline, they can always do something like:

Wilcox + Smith + Wilkins for Wally + Jawad Williams + Lorenzen Wright + 2010 2nd rounder + Cash? Thunder get rid of Wilkins contract for next year. Wally is cut and returns the Cle.

Return to Trades and Transactions