So Mark Jackson's still calling Kobe best on earth, huh?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Re: So Mark Jackson's still calling Kobe best on earth, huh? 

Post#41 » by Rooster » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:47 pm

marshmallow wrote:I don't understand these arguments about who the best player in the NBA is because it always seems to center around a media backed perimeter player like Kobe vs. someone (used to be McGrady before he fell off, then Wade when he did his thing in '06, now LBJ has been ESPN's favorite for sometime). Tim Duncan didn't die in a car crash, did he? I saw him play a couple nights ago. Kobe and LBJ can be out chilling at the three point line while Duncan is commanding the paint and running an offense from the double teams he gets on the post.

Another oddity, in the same vein, is that Duncan always seems to crop up into people's top ten lists of all time. Disagree, agree, whatever -- I never see Kobe or LBJ or anyone playing now except Shaq ahead of him on people's lists, and Shaq is clearly not what he used to be. But it's not like Tim is declining or something. Duncan is still a 20/10 paint patroller guy. He did a fine job of carrying the Spurs without Manu or Parker. He's had plenty of 30+ point games this year. Against Denver he had a 21/12/7/5 game. I just want to see some consistency in people's opinions is all.

QFT

Tim Duncan is above everyone else until... well, maybe until he retires. I'm not exactly sure. I'd put LeBron and Kobe #2 and #3 though. KG, despite the victories, has fallen off a bit.
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#42 » by No Offense » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:07 pm

Why does the Church of Kobe get so up in arms in these threads? The truth of the matter is that Wade and LeBron didn't have half the supporting cast that Kobe did, so that's an unfair argument. What is a fair argument is that LeBron and the Cavs gave the Celtics the toughest series of any team. It wasn't Detroit or the Lakers.

Personally, I don't care which player is considered the best in the league. I have my opinion, and I don't agree with the alternative opinion. Why should I get up in arms when a Lakers fan or Mark Jackson disagrees with me? I am fairly certain that the best player in the league is playing on my team, and that's enough for me to be happy.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#43 » by TonyMontana » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:10 pm

Wade-GOAT wrote:I got this dude furious LMFAO. Its too easy with the Kobe homers.

"Yall n*ggas get so emotional, you remind me of my b*tch." - 50

Too funny.
Your danggling on Wade nuggssss like a 5 year old on a swing set, and your calling everybody else homers........... Even non Laker fans..... :lol:
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#44 » by TonyMontana » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:14 pm

THEmasterWAYNE wrote:Bryant was coasting on defense in the NBA Finals and this season. He's the one that lost credibility. If you replaced him with Wade or LeBron the Lakers would have done a lot better in those Finals.

:rofl2:
No Offense
Assistant Coach

Post#45 » by No Offense » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:16 pm

TonyMontana wrote:
THEmasterWAYNE wrote:Bryant was coasting on defense in the NBA Finals and this season. He's the one that lost credibility. If you replaced him with Wade or LeBron the Lakers would have done a lot better in those Finals.

:rofl2:

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Kobe has "lost credibility." He's still a top player in the league, despite his losses in the finals. But I don't think it's fair to laugh at the notion of LeBron or Wade doing better against the Celtics than Kobe did. I know Kobe is better than he showed in the finals, but for some reason, the amazing Kobe didn't show up and his team lost a series it probably should have won.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#46 » by conleyorbust » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:48 pm

An announcer/former player said something stupid?

I just don't believe it.
Chris435
Starter
And1: 58

Post#47 » by Chris435 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:59 pm

Yeah, it's very annoying. We should have kept count of how many times he and JVG said it during the Finals.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#48 » by NetsForce » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:47 pm

I really don't get what's wrong with someone stating the truth...
No Offense
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by No Offense » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:15 pm

NetsForce wrote:I really don't get what's wrong with someone stating the truth...

How can opinion be "truth?" That's some dangerous territory right there.
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#50 » by Crooked-I » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:37 pm

Heat3 wrote:
doozyj wrote:

Again Wade and Lebron didn't even make it to the finals, (if they are both so great and or are the best on the planet why didn't they get to the finals huh????), they had their chance. So again your argument is worthless. :roll:

You officially made this thread lamer than it already is. Please do all of us a favor and stop following basketball, follow hockey or something...

Well Lebron lost to the Celtics and performed much better against them than did Kobe. Wade was out for the year and when he played he had a team full of D leaguers.

I love how Wade fans that use that excuse then blast Laker fans for saying the exact same thing about Kobe in 06 and 07. Double standard :clap:

I think so far LeBron is having a better season. Kobe has been half-assing games lately, especially against crappy teams. I'm not seeing the same intensity as he had at the beginning of the season. I'm sure he'll pick it up against teams that actually matter. No offense.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#51 » by NetsForce » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:00 am

No Offense wrote:
NetsForce wrote:I really don't get what's wrong with someone stating the truth...

How can opinion be "truth?" That's some dangerous territory right there.

When facts become opinions, we have grave problems indeed.
Farm Raid
Starter
And1: 0

Post#52 » by Farm Raid » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:05 am

There hasn't been more than one, maybe two seasons in which Kobe was the best player in the NBA anyway.

Return to The General Board