Can Bynum hold up to the pressure?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User
And1: 0

Can Bynum hold up to the pressure? 

Post#1 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:27 pm

LA's entire season pretty much rests on his shoulder and whether he'll be able to provide the Lakers with interior defense, especially against the Celtics. Heck, maybe even Bron score 40+ a night against Lakers without Bynum. My belief is the Lakers are too thin in their frontcourt and are relying on a player who has proven to be inury prone and unreliable. If Bynum gets inured do the Lakers even have a chance to get to the west conf finals?
Promezclan
Starter
And1: 948

Re: Can Bynum hold up to the pressure? 

Post#2 » by Promezclan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:31 pm

Of course no chance. I mean, they barely made the finals last year without Ariza.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,463

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:32 pm

lol, are u seriously asking if the lakers can even make the western finals without bynum? did u start watching the nba this season?

as far as the pressure, if you think a team with kobe bryant on it has all its hopes on bynum's shoulders....lol.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User

Post#4 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:37 pm

wow a mod who dismisses Bynums importance to his favorite team. How is the season resting on Kobe's shoulder when he already proved last season he was incapable of doing it alone. Isn't the Lakers reason for losing due to their lack of interior D. If you cant recognize that you should have your moderator status pulled immediately.

If the lakers win its because they had interior defensive help. As great as ordan was buddy the reason he won those rings was because of Rodman/Grant who rebounded and defended.

And that Pippen guy wasnt too bad himself
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by dockingsched » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:39 pm

so how far do the lakers get without kobe?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#6 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:40 pm

The addition of Ariza alone makes the Lakers better than last season. Gasol is still the team's go-to player in the post and I still believe he's an underrated defender. Bynum still isn't even 100% healthy yet. Wait until Feb/March before judging. Until then, he'll continue to be a big reason the Lakers are the top rebounding team in the league. But to say the team rests on his shoulders :lol:, that's going a little too far.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User

Post#7 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:42 pm

dcash4 wrote:so how far do the lakers get without kobe?

Kobe is your MVP. Im not questioning that. In your current season however Bynum is even more important. Everyone knows Kobe will get his. The question remains whether or not Bynum can provide the Lake show with some interior D.
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#8 » by eatyourchildren » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Isn't that like asking if Posey can hold up to the pressure of making the Hornets a championship team?
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User

Post#9 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:44 pm

Bad analogy because Posey has proven to be able to rise up to the challenge. Theres a history with Posey. Secondly Posey is a bench player and not as important. Maybe T Chandler would be a better analogy.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#10 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:48 pm

GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX wrote:Bad analogy because Posey has proven to be able to rise up to the challenge. Theres a history with Posey. Secondly Posey is a bench player and not as important. Maybe T Chandler would be a better analogy.

Even that's not a good example, because the bugs would never get to the Finals without Chandler the way the Lakers did without Bynum. The Lakers got through the most competitive conference in the history of the NBA WITHOUT Bynum. Just think about that.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User

Post#11 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 pm

then, lets just talk about Bynum since we cant get a correct analogy to match.

thought about Lakers last year and I think the Lakers are lucky Ginobilli wasnt 100%. Thats series had at least 7 games written on it with a healthy Manu. Also DWest got speared by Horry's cheap ass against the Spurs. The Hornets def had a lot of monetum going against the Spurs. I think your team is luck not to see either of those teams in the second round last year. Those are two punishing teams that are similiar to Boston D. Two big stars got injured (West and Ginobs) on your way to the finals. Think about that.

Maybe West is not playoff-proven but Manu sure is. At least if he was healthy you'd expect the Spurs to be in championship form.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by dockingsched » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 pm

GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX wrote:
dcash4 wrote:so how far do the lakers get without kobe?

Kobe is your MVP. Im not questioning that. In your current season however Bynum is even more important. Everyone knows Kobe will get his. The question remains whether or not Bynum can provide the Lake show with some interior D.

look, bynum is not as important as kobe. this isn't even arguable. this is a classic case of taking a player for granted. sure bynum might be the player that gets them over the top, but that doesn't mean he's more important than kobe/gasol, who without them the lakers wouldn't even be in a position to go over the top. bynum is like the nice set of wheels on your luxury car. yeah the wheels set you apart from the other elite cars, but you better have that engine and suspension in order for those wheels to even matter.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by dockingsched » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:58 pm

GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX wrote:then, lets just talk about Bynum since we cant get a correct analogy to match.

ok, cool, lets see what u say about bynum....

thought about Lakers last year and I think the Lakers are lucky Ginobilli wasnt 100%. Thats series had at least 7 games written on it with a healthy Manu. Also DWest got speared by Horry's cheap ass against the Spurs. The Hornets def had a lot of monetum going against the Spurs. I think your team is luck not to see either of those teams in the second round last year. Those are two punishing teams that are similiar to Boston D. Two big stars got injured (West and Ginobs) on your way to the finals. Think about that.

Maybe West is not playoff-proven but Manu sure is. At least if he was healthy you'd expect the Spurs to be in championship form.

wait, u said bynum right?
GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User

Post#14 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:59 pm

dcash4 wrote:look, bynum is not as important as kobe. this isn't even arguable. this is a classic case of taking a player for granted. sure bynum might be the player that gets them over the top, but that doesn't mean he's more important than kobe/gasol, who without them the lakers wouldn't even be in a position to go over the top. bynum is like the nice set of wheels on your luxury car. yeah the wheels set you apart from the other elite cars, but you better have that engine and suspension in order for those wheels to even matter.

Ok. Im not gonna give Bynum the key to the city if the lakers win. No MVp trophy and no 90 playboy bunnies. This year however if you want to be the luxury car to set you apart from those other elite cars then those wheels become extra important. Especially when your desire is to be superiorly better then those other elite vehicles.
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#15 » by eatyourchildren » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:02 pm

All that really needs to be asked is: can Bynum provide the interior defense and rebounding that the Lakers didn't have last year?

Who knows, we're 20 games in.
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#16 » by That Nicka » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:04 pm

lol, this guy is trying way too hard
GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User

Post#17 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:06 pm

fine take Bynum for granted. If he gets injured just hope Kobe and Gasol are good enough to get the job done this year. Becuase certainly last year they werent good enough. Lol.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#18 » by microfib4thewin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:07 pm

So what was the point of this topic? Right now any opinion on this is pure speculation with no evidence to back it up.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#19 » by Blame Rasho » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:07 pm

GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX wrote:wow a mod who dismisses Bynums importance to his favorite team. How is the season resting on Kobe's shoulder when he already proved last season he was incapable of doing it alone. Isn't the Lakers reason for losing due to their lack of interior D. If you cant recognize that you should have your moderator status pulled immediately.

If the lakers win its because they had interior defensive help. As great as ordan was buddy the reason he won those rings was because of Rodman/Grant who rebounded and defended.

And that Pippen guy wasnt too bad himself

I would really chose your words differently.

Your opinion isn't the end all be all.

The fact is that isn't blasphemy to think that Kobe is more important than Bynum.

You are now going off tangent arguing about two injuries to two other teams as a way to dismiss what the Lakers did last season. It is disingenuous for me as a Spurs fans to say thethat Spurs only lost to the Lakers due to Ginobili. They won because they were better. The Celtics beat the Lakers because they were better, and not because Bynum was out.
GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User

Post#20 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:12 pm

I think this 'season' Bynum is more important to the teams ultimate success. I'm not saying my belief is the consensus but it's my strong belief. I only responded with the Manu and West inuries in response to the claim it was the toughest western conf playoff ever. I dont share that belief since two very key players from two very elite teams were inured.

Return to The General Board