Rank these QB's

bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#21 » by bigboy1234 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:53 pm

PistonFan4Life wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

All I have to say is WOW! To put Young ahead of Montana and Elway is just amazing. Not to mention how have we forgotten other past greats such as Namath and Bradshaw.

It's amazingly right. And it's amazing how underrated Young is. And wow, Namath and Bradshaw aren't even on the same planet as Young, those 2 are arguably the most overrated QB of all-time.

Look at this link, and see how many of those numbers are bolded, it's quite amazing.
http://databasefootball.com/players/pla ... YOUNGSTE02

Then type in your favorite QB last name, it doesn't matter who it is(as long as there from the 60's and up that is), because Young is better. Then add in the fact that Young could run, simply amazing what he was.
PistonFan4Life
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#22 » by PistonFan4Life » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:35 pm

I hate to break it to you guys, but passer ratings don't define the best QB of all time as far as I'm concerned. I would never try to take away anything that Young accomplished, but if Elways was the QB of those S.F. teams in the early 90s he probably would have put up the numbers that Young did as well. Numbers or not I don't think anyone could go out and watch a game with Elway and say they wouldn't have wanted him on their team, he was amazing to watch with all his comeback victories.

Also in regards to the Tedy Bruschi comment, no it wasn't a swipe at him about the playing with all the heart he did. I have to agree that Bruschi and Elway would have to be two of the toughest competitors I've ever seen and it would be hard to say who played with more heart. But thanks for bringing his name up, he's a great LB that will be remembered for all he has accomplished (especially coming back so soon after his stroke).
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:58 am

Sorry, it's not just passer ratings. Also, since you like "ifs", if I was 7 foot tall I would be in the NBA, but thats not the case. Of course, I would want Elway as my QB, but would I want him over Steve Young? Hell no.

Here is quite frankly a beautiful read on the greatest QBs of all-time, I recommend everyone read it.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... ess/?p=140
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:37 am

bigboy1234 wrote:It's amazingly right. And it's amazing how underrated Young is. And wow, Namath and Bradshaw aren't even on the same planet as Young, those 2 are arguably the most overrated QB of all-time.

Bradshaw, yes. Namath no. Namath's probably overrated by the casual fan but that's more than offset by how badly the casual statistical fan underrates him. I don't feel like rehashing the same arguments over and over again but he played his entire career in a pretty progressive downfield offense, which heavily skewed his raw numbers.

That's not to say he's a great QB. I wouldn't say he's even close to the Top-10 but he definitely is in the Top-25 of all time.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 am

PistonFan4Life wrote:I hate to break it to you guys, but passer ratings don't define the best QB of all time as far as I'm concerned. I would never try to take away anything that Young accomplished, but if Elways was the QB of those S.F. teams in the early 90s he probably would have put up the numbers that Young did as well.

Purely hypothetical, therefore irrelevent to the conversation.

Numbers or not I don't think anyone could go out and watch a game with Elway and say they wouldn't have wanted him on their team, he was amazing to watch with all his comeback victories.

He was a great QB - he led a great many mediocre Broncos teams to success - but Young was really, really good. Very few people remember how good of a passer he was (as well as a runner), mostly because 1. the attribute it to the system he played in (partially valid) 2. because he was never as "successful" as his predecessor (not valid).

Also in regards to the Tedy Bruschi comment, no it wasn't a swipe at him about the playing with all the heart he did.
I

I think you missed the (rather weak) joke: It was about Bruschi having a hole in his heart, therefore not having as much heart as a typical NFL player.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,074
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#26 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:57 am

I think Elway is extremely overrated :dontknow:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:53 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I think Elway is extremely overrated :dontknow:

Then you would think correctly, congratulations. Although I guess it depends, because on how everyone rates him, I personally don't think he's close to the top 10 QB in the last 50 years, especially when you look at per play, i.e. actual greatness. He put up huge numbers while really only being above average to me, being healthy and putting up 3000 yards a year is just what he did, but it was nothing really ever special.
Basketball Jesus wrote:Bradshaw, yes. Namath no. Namath's probably overrated by the casual fan but that's more than offset by how badly the casual statistical fan underrates him. I don't feel like rehashing the same arguments over and over again but he played his entire career in a pretty progressive downfield offense, which heavily skewed his raw numbers.

That's not to say he's a great QB. I wouldn't say he's even close to the Top-10 but he definitely is in the Top-25 of all time.

How dare you disagree with me, now I may have change my answer to put Elway over Favre just to spite you. Although they really are interchangible to me, I really don't know who I'd pick between the two. I think Young and Montana are on another level then those two anyways. I'm just glad you found the love for Young, now to convert all these other non-believers.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:50 pm

Then you would think correctly, congratulations. Although I guess it depends, because on how everyone rates him, I personally don't think he's close to the top 10 QB in the last 50 years, especially when you look at per play, i.e. actual greatness. He put up huge numbers while really only being above average to me, being healthy and putting up 3000 yards a year is just what he did, but it was nothing really ever special.

That
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:58 pm

So BBJ you would you put Elway or Favre over any of these guys?

Steve Young
Fran Tarkenton
Roger Staubach
Johnny Unitas
Joe Montana
Dan Marino
Bart Starr
Peyton Manning
Ken Anderson
Sonny Jurgensen
Dan Fouts
Len Dawson

Because I wouldn't which is what I mean by he isn't a top 10 QB from the past 50 years.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:47 pm

These guys are definitely better than both Favre and Elway:

Steve Young
Fran Tarkenton
Johnny Unitas
Joe Montana
Dan Marino

These guys, for various reasons, I
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#31 » by J.Kim » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:33 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Bradshaw, yes. Namath no. Namath's probably overrated by the casual fan but that's more than offset by how badly the casual statistical fan underrates him. I don't feel like rehashing the same arguments over and over again but he played his entire career in a pretty progressive downfield offense, which heavily skewed his raw numbers.

I hate Namath with a passion... but probably because of all the love, and all the media attention that he gets despite being NOT a Top-10 QB, is probably the reason I hate him so much.

I have to ask you this though.... If you think Namath belongs in the top-25, Does John Hadl belong in the top-25 as well?

I honestly think the Superbowl Guarantee pushes everyone's opinion of him up.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:52 pm

I tend to be more of a Namath sympathizer because of the offense he was in. Hadl would probably be a shade below Namath for me.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#33 » by studcrackers » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:36 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:These guys are definitely better than both Favre and Elway:

Steve Young
Fran Tarkenton
Johnny Unitas
Joe Montana
Dan Marino

These guys, for various reasons, I
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#34 » by El Turco » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:16 pm

Montana
Elway
Young
Favre
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.

Return to Player Comparisons