How come theres many injuries in the NBA but not soccer ?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DieselCeltic
Banned User
And1: 0

How come theres many injuries in the NBA but not soccer ? 

Post#1 » by DieselCeltic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Soccer HAS to be the toughest sport to play. Running back and forth for 45mins in the first half, 45 in second = 90mins of running. I also believe soccer players are in the best physical shape in any sport...and soccer is really violent sport...with crazy tackles...and crazy fouls... watching one UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GAME...and the way these cats play... and it's unlikely to see them injured...

You cannot tell me basktball and NBA is tougher sport than soccer. So many injuries in the NBA but so little in the soccer...this doesn't add up...

Watching one soccer tackle, where a defender takes down forward, it looks like he will never walk again the way he's fouled yet...he gets up and brushes it off...
HTown_TMac
General Manager
And1: 222

Re: How come theres many injuries in the NBA but not soccer ? 

Post#2 » by HTown_TMac » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:09 pm

This is a basketball forum, I do not know much about Soccer.
www.atrilli.net <- music blog
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#3 » by DieselCeltic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:13 pm

HTown_TMac wrote:This is a basketball forum, I do not know much about Soccer.

Then, I would advice you to start watching a sport that nearly 5 billion people on this earth watch. 8-)
dookieguy
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#4 » by dookieguy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:13 pm

Few NBA players get injured because of hard fouls like tackles. It's because in basketball, there's a lot of jumping involved, and most injuries come from the impact of falling down while in the air. I think that's the real difference between soccer and basketball injuries.
Flite
Starter
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Flite » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:15 pm

Might have something to do with the average height being like 6'6". Taller people I would guess are more prone to injury. Alot more "in air" type play. Playing on hardwood as opposed to grass. Alot faster than soccer... soccer is more of a marathon while basketball can be like a sprint with shorter rest period. The game is built on speed and change of direction... alot of twisting of the joints.

I'd say most basketball injuries are caused by the movements and the environment rather than collisions with other players and physical play.
Mr_Wizard
Freshman

Post#6 » by Mr_Wizard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Soccer and tough? I'm laughing.
Every team sport has got some kind of physical contact, but to name a few basketball, american football, rugby and team handball are all tougher than a soccer game...
It's also a fact that the intesity isn't as high. It's true that most of the players play all the 90 minutes, sometimes even longer, but they often stand around when they're not in action and you just don't see them on TV. Of course you have to be in great shape to be a successful soccer (football!) player, but that's the case in every sport that's about running.
It's just not true that there are as many fouls as they are in many other sports and that the players are running for 90 minutes. Just not true.

There are also much injuries connected with the fouls, maybe you don't watch too much soccer, but I do (because it's by far the most popular sport in the whole continent of Europe) and I often see players getting injured. But guarding players isn't as physical as in e.g. basketball or american football
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#7 » by deeney0 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Shin guards.
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#8 » by DieselCeltic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:35 pm

How many players died on the court in NBA ? I know plenty that died on a soccer field from heart attacs...etc... it is known that average player runs about 5 miles in every soccer game...

so not a physical and intense sport ?? i suggest you check out these vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKekpxFrfWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spsniNfm ... re=related

ESPECIALLY THIS ONE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWeRwW2E ... re=related

Find me a video, where an NBA player died in a result of an hard foul.

I rest my case.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,073
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#9 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:44 pm

How many NBA players get injured flopping?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
shaqfan1
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#10 » by shaqfan1 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 pm

DieselCeltic wrote:Soccer HAS to be the toughest sport to play. Running back and forth for 45mins in the first half, 45 in second = 90mins of running. I also believe soccer players are in the best physical shape in any sport...and soccer is really violent sport...with crazy tackles...and crazy fouls... watching one UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GAME...and the way these cats play... and it's unlikely to see them injured...

You cannot tell me basktball and NBA is tougher sport than soccer. So many injuries in the NBA but so little in the soccer...this doesn't add up...

Watching one soccer tackle, where a defender takes down forward, it looks like he will never walk again the way he's fouled yet...he gets up and brushes it off...

I stopped reading and started laughing there. Here's my rebuttal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6jYZuO8 ... re=related
DuckIII wrote:All 3 of them joining forces in Miami is the NBA's worst nightmare (shared by TNT, ABC, and ESPN)...it is a simple, irrefutable fact, that Wade/LeBron/Bosh in Miami is pretty much the worst possible result from a business perspective.
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#11 » by DieselCeltic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:09 pm

shaqfan1 wrote:
DieselCeltic wrote:Soccer HAS to be the toughest sport to play. Running back and forth for 45mins in the first half, 45 in second = 90mins of running. I also believe soccer players are in the best physical shape in any sport...and soccer is really violent sport...with crazy tackles...and crazy fouls... watching one UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GAME...and the way these cats play... and it's unlikely to see them injured...

I stopped reading and started laughing there. Here's my rebuttal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6jYZuO8 ... re=related

Time for you to grow up my friend. Don't come in here and disrespect the best sports in the world.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#12 » by ropjhk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:12 pm

Reasons:
1) Basketball is played on a hard court. Soccer on a grass field. The hard court results in a harder impact when a player runs and jumps and probably wears out the joints more.

2) Basketball involves lots of jumping. When you consider the heights that some of these players get to, and consider their weight and size, it's easy to see how they can wear out their knees.

3) Schedule. An NBA team plays 82 games a year plus preseason and playoffs. Then you can add international play for many players. The busiest soccer players tend to play a bit less games than that.

4) Soccer only looks more physical because of all the flopping.
kevC
Bench Warmer
And1: 367

Post#13 » by kevC » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Flite wrote:Might have something to do with the average height being like 6'6". Taller people I would guess are more prone to injury. Alot more "in air" type play. Playing on hardwood as opposed to grass. Alot faster than soccer... soccer is more of a marathon while basketball can be like a sprint with shorter rest period. The game is built on speed and change of direction... alot of twisting of the joints.

I'd say most basketball injuries are caused by the movements and the environment rather than collisions with other players and physical play.

Bingo.
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#14 » by DieselCeltic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:21 pm

ropjhk wrote:Reasons:
1) Basketball is played on a hard court. Soccer on a grass field. The hard court results in a harder impact when a player runs and jumps and probably wears out the joints more.

2) Basketball involves lots of jumping. When you consider the heights that some of these players get to, and consider their weight and size, it's easy to see how they can wear out their knees.

3) Schedule. An NBA team plays 82 games a year plus preseason and playoffs. Then you can add international play for many players. The busiest soccer players tend to play a bit less games than that.

4) Soccer only looks more physical because of all the flopping.

Can't disagree with you...but 4...certain players flop just like in the NBA, not all of them.
Frosty
General Manager
And1: 13,446

Post#15 » by Frosty » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:28 pm

DieselCeltic wrote:How many players died on the court in NBA ? I know plenty that died on a soccer field from heart attacs...etc... it is known that average player runs about 5 miles in every soccer game...

so not a physical and intense sport ?? i suggest you check out these vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKekpxFrfWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spsniNfm ... re=related

ESPECIALLY THIS ONE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWeRwW2E ... re=related

Find me a video, where an NBA player died in a result of an hard foul.

I rest my case.

Just because someone posted a clip on youtube doesn't make it real. The guys is still alive and his name is Abdelhafiz Tesfawet (referring to the last clip)

As for heart problems, you should know it's not uncommon at all. Hank Gathers, Reggie Lewis.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#16 » by El Turco » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:36 pm

say whaat?

soccer players actually deal with injuries more often than basketball players. other than goalkeepers, it is very rare for soccer players to play in all 40-50 games of the season(suspensions excluded) while there were around 30 players in NBA that played in all 82 games.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,142

Post#17 » by og15 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:59 pm

I'm not sure where OP got the idea that soccer players don't deal with injuries, but they definitely do.
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#18 » by DieselCeltic » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:59 pm

ElTurco wrote:Image

say whaat?

soccer players actually deal with injuries more often than basketball players. other than goalkeepers, it is very rare for soccer players to play in all 40-50 games of the season(suspensions excluded) while there were around 30 players in NBA that played in all 82 games.

Did Eduardo recover from that nasty injury..
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#19 » by Rasho Brezec » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:05 pm

ElTurco wrote:soccer players actually deal with injuries more often than basketball players. other than goalkeepers, it is very rare for soccer players to play in all 40-50 games of the season(suspensions excluded) while there were around 30 players in NBA that played in all 82 games.

Exactly. And lol @ football being tougher than basketball. :lol: In basketball, if someone hits you you hit him back. In football, if someone slaps you, you make sure ref is watching and you fall down like you've been shot.
jzmagik
Banned User

Post#20 » by jzmagik » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:06 pm

The OP's agenda is just to say soccer is a better sport than basketball.. This thread fails.

Return to The General Board